1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

You have country, rock, or other similar music? Ditch it!

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Spoudazo, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Garth Brooks killed country music. If you want to condemn him, I'm right there with you. We just disagree on the details.

Why wouldn't they be?

Do you think it's possible at all that you may have been listening to the wrong kind of mainstream music? Do you think it's possible that this is a conviction that you may have, but that God may not have impressed this conviction on the rest of us?

So then, by that standard, would mainstream artists who sing about non-offensive or positive things be acceptable?

But they don't hinder me. When I became a new Christian, I gave up all of my mainstream music. What happened? I got caught up in the Word of Faith movement, backslid where I lived even worse than before I was saved, and nearly walked away from the faith altogether.

Now, I listen to mainstream music (I even perform it in *gasp* bars), I'm growing in the grace and knowledge of Christand I'm a part of a vital and growing ministry that's seeing people saved, delivered and baptized.

If anything, it looks like the Christian music was hindering me.

Now Playing: Peter Mayer - "Green Eyed Radio"

2. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

For so long Baptists have loved Elvis, a man who died on a toilet seat while another woman (who wasn't his wife) was in his bed.

These country singers, who will sing "spiritual" songs and then go do a singing with Elton John. I don't even want to get started on this, it's quite evident for those wishing to hear.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

How does how he died make his music immoral?

I like Elvis, but I'm a little annoyed that Sirius has a whole channel dedicated to nothing but Elvis.

Good Heavens! Next thing you know, they'll be eating with tax collectors! Where, oh where, will this madness end?

Now Playing: Boz Scaggs - "But Beautiful"

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

At least we all agree about the satanic influence of Polka.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Spouzado,

Middle ground proposal: There's no doubt that there is a great deal of music out there a Christian should stay away from.

But I can't go along with "all secular music is evil."

What if I am a Christian who sings wholesome, entertaining music that's not necessarily about God as a subject matter? What is the problem there?

6. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Hey, I like polka. Jimmy Sturr rocks.

Now Playing: Livingston Taylor - "Greatest Hits"

7. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Honestly this is a matter of the heart, and I can say nothing else.

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Spoudazo, I sincerely appreciate your desire to serve the Lord with all your heart. However, I would really encourage you to study the Word of God for yourself, determine what the Word says alone instead of coming on here and parroting the likes of David Cloud.

9. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I have argued with David Cloud, but if he's right, he's right.

I don't preach about "woman in pants," wire rim glasses, off-color dress shirts, etc. (though I do think modesty is to be preached in churches).

However, music is in a category of its own. Music is to glorify God with. Again, this is a matter of the heart.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

I've invited David Cloud to come speak...Stryper is opening for him.
    [​IMG]

I've been impressed with his new book: Ya'll read it yet? :saint: :laugh:

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Don't laugh, what about the subliminal suggestions in elevator music, markets and restaurants. I wrap my head in foil to keep that devil noice from penetrating. I suggest ya'll consider doing the same.

12. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Amen Bro Rbell---Polka is completely satanic especially when those guys wear the shorts with suspenders. Wonnerful Wonnerful

Bro Tony

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

now ya'll quit before Mike gets convicted about his polka habit...

14. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Polka music is EEEEEEEEVIL! Evil! I tells ya! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL!

Elevator music causes chromosome damage! :tongue3:

15. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

So by what do we judge a song?

By its original artist? (is that the writer or singer?)

By its content?

By our understanding of its content?

I once heard Gene Eugene say that to him, it didn't matter nearly as much what he wrote a song for as much as what his audience got from the song and for that reason, he didn't like explaining his songs.

(and if you know who Gene Eugene is, then let me know! I find his fans so rarely these days)

16. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Sigh. You kids today. You just don't appreciate good music.

Now Playing: Jimmy Sturr - "Touched by a Polka"

Hey, just a little trivia for you: did you know that Willie Nelson's first band was a polka band?

And another thing. Everybody thinks of Lawrence Welk as the "champaign/bubble music" guy, but go back and listen to his music from the 30's and 40's. They swung as hard as anybody of that era and gave Jimmie Lunceford (another popular bandleader of that day) a good run for his money.

What is it about that song, "Feelings" that everybody hates so much. I always liked that song.

OK. I should go now.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What in the world do wire rim glasses and off-color dress shirts have to do with modesty? :confused:

18. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I'm saying wire-rim glasses, colored shirts, etc. are useless and unscriptural things to preach about/against (i.e.-there's nothing wrong with with that). Some people actually preach against wire-rim glasses and other stuff like that, it's rather sad they worry about such things that have no place in the pulpit as subject matter.

However, music in in a different category. Music isn't some side-line subject, it is an important part of the church, and a lot of otherwise good churches are ruined by their "praise and worship," so-called.

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

you have absolutely no Scriptural basis to denigrate an entire genre of music with a blanket statement like this.

20. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

How about lack of substance?