1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

You have needs ....................

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “The world says: "You have needs -- satisfy them. You have as much right as the rich and the mighty. Don't hesitate to satisfy your needs; indeed, expand your needs and demand more." This is the worldly doctrine of today. And they believe that this is freedom. The result for the rich is isolation and suicide, for the poor, envy and murder.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky, "The Brothers Karamazov"

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I need to finish that book. Bought a copy years ago, and something came up where I had to put it down.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read The Brothers Karamazov years ago. It is a very powerful novel. It is on my list again. Everyone should read it and there are valuable lessons for any Christian to learn from this book. I hope to read it again in 2016.

Another powerful quote is:

A man who lies to himself, and believes his own lies, becomes unable to recognize truth, either in himself or in anyone else, and he ends up losing respect for himself and for others. When he has no respect for anyone, he can no longer love, and in him, he yields to his impulses, indulges in the lowest form of pleasure, and behaves in the end like an animal in satisfying his vices. And it all comes from lying--to others and to yourself.

The Brothers Karamazov
    Zosima to Fyodor Pavlovich, Book II - An Unfortunate Gathering, Chapter 2 - The Old Buffoon.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

When reading this, the first person to pop into my mind was ----- Hiz Majesty, The ZERO!!

5. ApollotheBrave

Great book. Leo Tolstoy was a real devout Catholic you can see it in his works.

6. heisrisen

heisrisen Active Member

Very true! Sometimes people lose sight of what's important. It's very hard though.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So someone being rich is the reason someone else is poor?

8. Sue-Ellen

Sue-Ellen Active Member

This is a very powerful quote and so true. I know a few people who this could speak of. It is so sad but very true. Lying does no good for no one.