1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

You just don't UNDERSTAND!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, May 1, 2011.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I'm not familiar with that book. But I'll try to give you a bit of a summary of my perspective:

Some Calvinist assume that non-Calvinist just ignore passages dealing with election or don't even know they exist. But the truth is that we do have a very coherent doctrine of election. With regard to election there are basically two ways to go:

(1) God has chosen (elected) certain individuals to be irresistibly called, to hear the gospel, and then believe unto salvation.

OR

(2) God has chosen (elected) groups of people (Jew and Gentiles: who yes are made up of individuals) to receive the gospel invitation granting them the opportunity to enter a covenant through faith with God, "first to the Jews and then to the Gentiles."

Either way, you could say election is the cause of faith. Either way, you could thank God for the election of other brethren. Either way, faith is still a condition for salvation.

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Think that the gist of the Book I sourced was that the author took "election" from Ephesians as meaning that God elected the "Plan" to redeem sinners through the cross, "elected" Christ as the mediator of that plan, so that Romans refers to the Plan of those who accept Jesus get predestined/glorified/etc, and that ALL happen after their make a "free will" decision to accept Jesus...

So he could say the "elect" was the Church of Christ, and election was what God already pedertined would happen to each one who chose to accept Christ...

Is that what you mean in point 2?

Also, have you ever heard the belief that in Cross of Christ, when God reconciled ALL back to himself, that Christ paid in full for all, so ALL manking was "conditionally elected" by God to have eternal life, but once they know their sinful condition and willfully reject it, lose their salvation than?

3. Skandelon

Yes, I think there are some strong similarities if I'm understanding you correctly.

There maybe some overlap of the biblical references to "predestined" and "election" in your explanation. As I'm sure you know, the term "election" simply means "choice." God chose Israel through which to reveal himself and bring redemption to the world. God chose Paul to be a messenger to the Gentiles. God chose to "graft in" the Gentiles. God makes choices of nations and people to accomplish his overall redemptive purpose.

God has also predetermined what will happen to those who believe the gospel. He as predetermined to adopt them and to conform them to the image of his son. Nothing is said in scripture regarding God predetermining certain lost people to become believers.

4. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Iconoclast....

The problem that I am detecting with you is the same thing I have seen with other calvinists on here.

And that is that you are rejecting the scriptures as your truth standard, and replacing the scriptures with the doctrines of calvinism.

Its so apparent. Scriptures that are soo clear, incredibly clear, you simply can not comprehend them.

Its a very sad thing to see. I think you are decent guy and all, but you seem to be unable to understand Gods scriptural truth, because of your almost cult like allegience to Calvinism. Your not the only one, of course. Not by a long shot. Some other cavlinists on here have this same problem.

You need to take the blinders off, and let God start teaching you truth, rather than Calvin and his minions..

God..through the teaching ministry of the Holy Spirit, is our teacher.

Not men. Not Calvin. Not the reformers

The Holy Spirit.

God bless you

5. JesusFan

So the Calvinist would say that God knows who are saved BECAUSE he is making it not only possible to save them, but will make sure they get saved, Election on on individual basis...

Arminian would say that God knows who are saved because He knows all things, and "sees" them believeing by free will upon Jesus, and see them as part of the elected Body of Christ?

So again the BIG difference is that both sides agrre pretty much from aspect of what saves, Cross, how to get saved, by faith in Christ, just differ IF someone "on their own" can decide to accept Jesus?

6. Skandelon

The simplicity of the foresight faith view is not really fully representative of the scholarly non-Calvinistic view. I don't believe the scripture is attempting to say that God looks down the corridors of time to see who will have faith and then individual elects and predestines them to salvation. Though I don't deny God's foreknowledge, I just don't believe that is what Paul is attempting to communicate in passages such as Eph. 1 or Rom. 8. Instead, I believe he is attempting to communicate that God has predetermined to adopt and conform all who come to faith, even those who aren't of the Jewish lineage. Understand?

Not exactly, neither side believes mankind can decide to accept Jesus "on their own." We both affirm the need of divine assistance. We just disagree as to the effectuality or irresistibility of the help God gives us in making that decision. Cals believe it is irresistible help, meaning that the grace is effectual or irresistible and will alway result in salvation. Non-Cals believe the means of grace are resistible and thus man is fully to blame for his rejection of those means. Understand?

7. JesusFan

And because calvinist believe that way, is the main reason why tend to hold a limited atonement view of the Cross, as God was inthru Jesus JUST purchasing/redeeming back those He knew that would be elected, so NO need for unlimited atonement to even be offered?

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

#108 Iconoclast, May 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2011
  9. Alive in Christ

Iconoclast...

Here is the scripture you are presenting...

Here is a more scripturally sound view of it than your calvinism offers...

http://evangelicalarminians.org/node/49

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    AIC
    this does not even begin to address the verses,,,,
    start in verse 37
    37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.

what does this teach? also I asked what you have read by that list of writers.

11. Alive in Christ

Well, I'll be darned.

I never knew arminianism had a little "catch phrase" like the calvinism does.

ARMINIANISM

Arminianism may be represented by the acronym FACTS:

Freed by Grace (to Believe)
    Atonement for All
    Conditional Election
    Total Depravity
    Security in Christ

:smilewinkgrin:

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    does this mean that you cannot respond scripturally?

13. Alive in Christ

Iconoclast...

Sure it does. And very well, I might add.

(your dancing again) :laugh:

what does this teach?

You know full well what arminianists teach, just like I know what calvinists teach. (your doing the soft shoe!)

Thats not the topic of this thread. (Fred Astair is applauding!)

I;ve read lots and lots by lots of writers, just like you. :wavey:

Congratulations! You posted a lots and lots while completly ignoring the material in question.

Tip toe, through the tulips....

--------------------------------------------

Here is the material you ignored while dancing....

Are you going to adress it, or keep dancing?

AiC

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lets work through Jn 6 :37 first,instead of hopping around like a JW

#114 Iconoclast, May 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2011
  15. Alive in Christ

Iconoclast....

To this truth...

You responded....

And you say that because...

CALVIN SAYS SO! :laugh::tonofbricks:

Iconoclast, It is imperitive that we go to the scriptures, and the scriptures alone as our truth standard. It is folly to turn to the doctrines and writings of Calvin as the truth standard, rather then the scriptures. And the same goes for the non/cal believers as well.

You have made the teachings of Calvin the truth standard, rather then Gods word.

According to scripture, Jesus died for everyone

John 1:29, "The next day he saw Jesus coming to him, and said, 'Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!'"

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life."

John 4:42, "and they were saying to the woman, 'It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves and know that this One is indeed the Savior of the world.'"

◦1 Tim. 4:10, "For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers."

1 John 2:2, "and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world."

1 John 4:14, "And we have beheld and bear witness that the Father has sent the Son to be the Savior of the world."

And there are so many more.

#115 Alive in Christ, May 17, 2011
  16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    okay....you offer a nice list of scripture....mostly dealing with the word world, or all men.

Now we want to understand all the verses plus others you ignore.

Do you believe ALL MEN will be saved?.....yes would be the heresy of universalism.....I have not seen a consistent universalist in some time!

No would be the correct response.....so we both limit the scope of the atonement

So what makes the difference here?

you say it is man.....who must do or add something all by himself...

I say it is God who has a covenant purpose to save the elect given to Jesus

Along with jn 6:37 here is another group of scriptures you cannot answer;

this verse uses the word world also...yet i did not see it on your list...aic

Why did the Father select or elect "these men" out of the world?

another verse that uses world...Jesus says He did not pray for the world, but for those given.....
    When were they given aic? Why were they given aic?

looks like those given are in contrast to the world.....
    If the world loves its own....why does the world hate them?

What does it mean they are not of the world?

Who made them different? God? or themselves? What does the passage teach?

They are not of the world, but being sent into the world.....interesting!

They are being sent out into the world, to gather those who believe...that would be the elect covenant children scattered througout the world.

24Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world

Explain or understand verse 24....and you will come to truth..if not remain in your error.

I did not even see what Calvin thought or taught on these verses aic, imagine that.....although you keep pushing that dead end idea.

17. Alive in Christ

Iconoclast...

No no no. Thats not the issue.

The issue is do YOU have the ability to understand this truth.
    I have no outside authority telling me what a passage of scripture means.
    You cant say that. John Calvin is your authority...not the scriptures and the Holy Spirit.

Well. Now you are adding slander to your already magnificent *dancing* qualities. I have never advocated for the heretical "universalism" idea...and yet...you just throw that in there for the heck of it. Nice going.

Error.

It is God who says man must add something.

And that something is Faith...in...Christ.God does not do that for us.

The choice is ours. If God did that for us, we would be robots. God does not concern Himself with, or create, automotron robots. He creates people with the ability to think, and make decisions.

And regarding eternal life. He gives us a choice to make.

Those are the ones who decide for Christ, rather than reject Him.

"Those whom thou hast given me" are those who have chosen to place their faith in Christ.

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Completely avoiding the clear teaching and meaning of this text, which says nothing about man placing anything anywhere

Man is never said to be saved...because of faith,never....
    He is saved, by or through faith......there is a world of difference here.
    I notice that you insert this idea into verse 24....when it is not there at all...
    but you must to maintain your false ideas..

Like I said you and those with your philosophy,cannot really come to truth on these verses.....scripture indicates there are some who have;

it is another of a different kind.....this might be what is here AIC....
    I would like that to not be the case, but something is wrong with the picture my friend......sorry I cannot help you...I do not think you are following the thread too well.You are unable to come to grips with the scripture offered at this time....

Your over-reacting against Calvin, and calvinists are clouding your judgement....you cannot process these verses without mentioning these things....

#118 Iconoclast, May 17, 2011
  19. Alive in Christ

Iconoclast...

I believe you have been completly indoctrinated into the theology of John Calvin. It seems to be very clear that you accept blindly John Calvin as your truth authority, rather then the scriptures and the teaching ministry of the Holy Spirit. Its almost like borderline brainwashing. Thats the only explanation I can think of for the *problems* inconsistantcies, and general >>weirdness<< in most of your posts

I'm not saying you are literally brainwashed, mind you. Not at all. But you are sort of in that "ball park" so to speak.

If I was in your spot, I would be thinking about maybe doing 2 things...

1) Spend more time in the scriptures alone, rather than calvinism material.
    2) Engage in a scripture study on "humility"

God bless you

#119 Alive in Christ, May 17, 2011
  20. Alive in Christ

Iconoclast...

You said this to me...

And now you are questioning my sure and eternal salvation, because I do not accept calvinism.

That is disgracefull.

My brother, I say this in love. You do not have a problem with arrogance.

You have an extreme and possibly dangerous problem with super-arrogance

Please deal with these issues, Iconoclast. I have found that it is much better when we deal with our personal issues of this sort...rather than have GOD deal with those issues further down the road.

Please. Be wise.