1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Young Earth vs. Old Earth

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Three things in response:

(1) It seems strange to me that you denigrate 'human reason' when your profile describes an you as having an interest in "systematic theology", which is a systematized process of studying scripture based upon "human reason".

(2) The Galileo affair occurred about 500 years ago.
    It seems that some in the evangelical church still haven't learned from it.

The Catholic church proclaimed, "the doctrine of the double motion of the earth about its axis and about the sun is false, and entirely contrary to Holy Scripture" (Pope Paul V - 1616).

Both scripture and nature are from God and both need to be interpreted; both science and theology are progressive in nature.

Science and theology can work hand-in-hand to help us formulate an accurate hermeneutical method.

(3) Regarding the long ages of the patriarchs: the problem is unrelated to the age of the earth.

An old-earth creationist may handle this difficulty the very same way a young earth creationist might.

What is obvious is that the genealogies are not intended to be used as a chronology as you seem to suggest.

Rob

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Science, in its "purity" should be somewhat analagous to "systematic theology", that it is, it should be seeking to understand "natural truth". There are many practitioners in the sciences while maintaining a steady, consistent and growing faith in their creator and redeemer.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

No, I am denigrating human reason that does not recognize its own sinfulness and propensity for error. That does not recognize that their is a higher, infallible source, that all other sources of knowledge must bow to...

False argument. The Pope was not actually getting what he said from scripture, but from Aristotelian physics. You are actually making the same error the Catholics made.... making "science" an authority equal to scripture. This is also the same error that led them to the doctrine of transubstantiation. The Church thought that they had to incorporate "science" into the scriptures, and so when the science moved on, they were left with so-called "infallible" papal decrees that they had to defend.

They should have trusted the scriptures to begin with, not science and flawed human reasoning.

Scripture is not progressive at all. REVELATION was progressive, but the canon closed nearly 2,000 years ago.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 says scripture is sufficient. Thus, science is not needed.

Secondly, "natural revelation" according to Romans 1, can do nothing more than condemn a man for unbelief. There is no such thing as positive "natural revelation" that is authoritative in its decrees. SCRIPTURE is infallible and inerrant...human eyes, ears, and minds are not.

This is probably the most frightful thing I have ever heard. You have in effect just elevated science ABOVE scripture.

Funny, how you assert that scripture must bow to human logic and reason, when Scripture asserts that human logic and reason must bow to scripture....

However they are "meant to be used" (something that cannot possibly be known), when the Bible says "he lived 900 years," then that individual lived 900 years.

So, this puts an absolute limit on the age of the earth, that does not come close to approaching 1 million years...much less billions.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother the fundamental flaw in your argument is that you don't seem to distingush the difference between scripture and theology - nature from science.

Rob

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Not so. I DO distinguish it. But the flaw in your argument is that you believe plainly written scripture must be "interpreted" by science. Scripture is authoritative; NEITHER the fallen corrupt creation (a.k.a "nature"), NOR human reason (science) is authoritative.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps the larger question concerns whether our fallen human reason is able to comprehensively understand the depth and breadth of the biblical revelation concerning creation at all.

Confining the language to one specific, temporally isolated construct might not be what actually took place.

In other words: what if Scripture explains perfectly the act of Creation and all its glory but we, fallen creatures, fail to comprehensively understand it?

7. quantumfaith

Excellent observation!!!!!

8. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I daresay you are half the Hebrew scholar Sailhamer is nor do you fully understand his point about "beginning". He did give examples of other places in Scripture where the word is used as an undefined period of time. Its not absurd unless you cling to the English rendering as your final authority. Plus, Sailhamer's view is that 1:1 is the creation of the world and that 1:2ff. is the preparation of the gard of eden (promised land). LIke I said, for those who put stock and value into biblical theology over systematic, this view has much to commend it. You quick dismissal shows you didn't give it the time of day to even consider it. You are so stuck in your view that you can't even consider that your interpretation may be wrong. Sailhamer's view advocates a 24 hr day scenario in Gen. 1. But he is arguing that the 6 days are not of creation but of preparation for habitation. God is preparing the Garden/temple for humans. His case is exegetically strong. And this isn't a case of demythologizing the text and removing the supernatural. It is still advocating God as the source of all things... but it is a change in how it has been understood the past many years.

9. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs:

This has to do with keeping the distinctions separate between ministerial uses and magisterial uses. Science must always be subordinate to Scripture, and that for several reasons.

Science keeps changing (rather our perception of it).
    We are told that the Bible is sufficient to all things that pertain to godliness, that it makes us thoroughly equipped, etc.
    The things that touch on our origin are included in those things of God which are only taught by the Spirit of God. It is not surprising that some scientists overlook this.

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :wavey:Good job here...you are correctly putting scripture where it belongs..as our only rule for faith and practice....

11. quantumfaith

THIS is true

12. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    And to a certain extent, so too is our understanding of Scripture. Interpretation is limited, although I'm not sure whose feet to cast the blame. However, I think there are plausible interpretations of Scripture that account for things differently than we have done in years past. And so if we start w/ a correct interpretation, of course we will find that science is in agreement since both are God's revelation and would not contradict (science in the sense of what it studies - creation).

13. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

The Beginnings under Attack is excellent. Bill Sheffield

Scientific Creationism by Henry Morris

These books can be found online and are exceelent for Young Earth support. Keep in mind Dr. Morris at one point in his career was an avid evolustionist. A Professor at Rice University who loved to challenge young Christians views. He came to not only turn from evolutionist teaching but to forming the Institute for Creation Research and he now expouses the young earth belief.

#53 revmwc, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012
  14. mandym

mandym New Member

Science is not God's revelation. Creation is science it not.

15. quantumfaith

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup.....I think?

16. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notice... that is why I qualified what I meant in the parenthesis. Science studies natural revelation. So combative...

17. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just re-read this and saw how pretentious and unkind it sounded. Forgive me. I just mean to emphasize that Sailhamer is no Hebrew slouch. I would have a hard time saying his understanding of a term is "absurd." My lack of Hebrew acumen forces me to look at the experts and count their opinion as more informed than my own. Try not to discount it outright before you hear him out. His interpretation has much to commend it.

18. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strict adherents might say that Sola scriptura demands that all other authorities are subordinate to scripture and are to be corrected by the written word of God

…but John Calvin was quite a bit more accommodating:
    You’re concerned because you believe that old-earth creationism demotes scripture and makes it subservient to science.

I would say that nature is a servant, not a master to scripture.

Christians of faith recognize that nature and the supernatural together constitute the one system of God.

Rob

19. mandym

mandym New Member

The minute we say we must believe scripture says something because science has determined something then scripture is beholden to science.

20. quantumfaith

I think mandym, that the point is not "what does scrpture say" but rather does it say was WE say it says. I could be wrong, but that is my take on what was said.