1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your abortion view

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Gina B, Jan 28, 2003.

?
  1. Pro-life and preach it

87.0%
  2. Pro-life but silent

6.5%
  3. Pro-choice and preach it

2.2%
  4. Pro-choice but silent

4.3%
  5. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. C.R. Gordon

C.R. Gordon New Member

Well scripture teaches that abortion is WRONG.
    So therefore I'm with Scripture, and I'm "PRO-LIFE" all the way!

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Anincephalic babies: There is no reason to abort them anymore than you would abort a baby because they had blue eyes and you wanted one with brown eyes. Even when babies are not 'perfect', they are still babies and a gift from God.

Huh? These are fetuses without brains. They are typically miscarried or stillborn, but an abortion is occaisionally medically necessary. again, these are not just "imperfect" babies, they're fetuses WITHOUT BRAINS.

Well scripture teaches that abortion is WRONG.
    Whoa, it's clear that scripture is vague on the subject in some aspects. I'm pro-life, but I'm also honest in by bible studies to admit to the Biblical ambiguity. To say the Bible is clear on it is to add words to scripture, and I'm not willing to do that.

[ January 29, 2003, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Johnv ]

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not so sure that the Bible is vague on the subject, John. There are so many verses that talk about God knowing us in the womb; about John the Baptist leaping while in the womb; basically recognizing the human being before it is born.

The Bible recognizes us before we are born, and the Bible clearly calls children a gift from God.

I'd say it doesn't get any clearer than that.

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Well, John;

You call them fetuses...I call them babies. :confused: Since they are typically miscarried or stillborn, I still see no reason for an abortion. God is still in control and taking care of it HIS way!

I see an awful lot of adults walking around today with seemingly no brains. Is it all right to kill them too? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sue

5. Iakobos

Iakobos Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am pro-life. I would, however, like to throw out a hypothetical situation.

A young, unmarried girl in a church's youth group becomes pregnant. The father of the child wants nothing to do with it and mentions having an abortion, but the girl wants to keep the baby. At this point, she realizes she has make a huge mistake in giving in to lustful desires and prays to God for comfort and support in her situation. The church finds out about the pregnancy, and people begin to whisper and point as she walks by them. Satan sees an opening, and the girl begins to doubt her ability to handle bringing the child into the world.

My question: could Christians today be inadvertently helping the abortion plague grow by their "damned if she does and damned if she doesn't" attitude towards young unwed mothers today?

Just a thought. Like I said, I'm pro-life and in this situation I would do my best to help this young lady and support her (even praise her) for having the baby.

What makes me sick is the prevailing attitude in today's society that abortion is simply "post-intercourse birth control."

Blessings,
    James

6. I Am Blessed 24

Well James; If she has repented of her sin, the church has no right to damn her. They are committing sin by their whisperings.

I thank God that I'm in a church who practices forgiveness (what would Christianiy be without it?) My church would praise her for having the baby and try to help her in any way possible. Even going so far as to find her a Christian home to live during her pregnancy and finding a Christian adoptive couple if she chose not to keep the baby.

[​IMG]
    Sue

[ January 30, 2003, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: I Am Blessed 16 ]

7. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Too often the exceptions are used to justify abortion such as rape, incest, life of the mother etc...Stats show that those are rare cases. Most abortions are on account of convenience.

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Iakabos, you brought up a very valid issue. Many churches could definitely stand to be more supportive and helpful towards women in these situations rather than harsh and judgmental. That in no way means that abortion or premarital sex should not be spoken strongly against, or that the sin after it's done shouldn't be dealt with. It does mean that as Christians who stand against abortion we should make sure we're also part of the solution for it.

Kiffin, you're right. The majority are NOT for medical purposes.
    However, when it is I suppport it. If God truly intended for both the mother AND baby to die from an ectopic pregnancy or whatever the medical reason, one would also have to quit treating illnesses and injuries of other natures to continue using the argument that things will happen how God intended them to. Why not realize that more likely is God has provided the means for saving the life of the mother so that two deaths do not rise from the situation?

I Am Blessed, it is great to hear that your church is doing great in regards to this issue! [​IMG]

Gina

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm not so sure that the Bible is vague on the subject, John. There are so many verses that talk about God knowing us in the womb; about John the Baptist leaping while in the womb; basically recognizing the human being before it is born.

Yes, I agree, the Bible is clear on referring to a 6 month old fetus in utero as "a babe". There is no dispute to the verse that says God knew us before we were born. But to infer that to cover conception is a bit of a stretch. I'm not saying it doesn't, I'm saying that there's room for interpretation. As for me, as I said earlier, I'm against abortion, but recognize that this point is also open to interpretation differently from mine.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You call them fetuses...I call them babies.
    I mean no disrespect by using the term fetus. I hope you're not offended.

Since they are typically miscarried or stillborn, I still see no reason for an abortion.
    I'm open to the idea that perhaps allowing a natural miscarriage may often be the best choice, but I don't think terminating the pregnancy via abortion is necessary an immoral choice in these circumstances.

I see an awful lot of adults walking around today with seemingly no brains. Is it all right to kill them too?
    Oh please, can I REALLY answer that?? [​IMG]

BTW - since you didn't cover the issue I brought up about an ectopic pregnancy, I assume you and I are in agreement that abortion in this cases is acceptible?

[ January 30, 2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Johnv ]

11. I Am Blessed 24

Sorry John, [​IMG]

I did answer that. Scroll up and read the third post on page two. We're not in agreement.

At least we have come to a point where we can agree to disagree and that is great! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sue

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'd like to invite those that voted they are silent as to their belief on the issue, or that they are that they're afraid not to just go along with what their congregation believes to explain why that is.
    Is it something you just feel isn't of much concern to you and your members and just doesn't need addressed?
    Or perhaps feel it isn't something that needs discussed in a church setting.
    Are you uninformed of the details and just need to study it out more first and haven't had time yet?
    For the one person who voted they were afraid of the congregation and for others who might feel that way, are you otherwise happy with your ministry, or is that a problem that occurs with more than just this issue and it frustrates you?
    Gina

13. rufus

rufus New Member

I am Pro-Life from head to toe, because God is Pro-Life.

I preach against abortion in every and any form. I have stood next to abortuaries where the smoke and the stench bellowed from the rooftops. I have chaired a large Pro-Life Group as President and led in State Campaigns to educate people and to lobby for new laws. I have been thrown out of pastors' offices and ministerial alliance meetings because of my Pro-Life stance.

I'm not bragging. I am serious about protecting life, from the womb to the tomb!

Rufus (#:<)

14. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Abortuaries."

I like that.

15. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

My idea of being a pro-life activist is someone who takes action but not by means of marches or protests...I would think our mission would be much better accomplished by being available to unwed mothers thinking about aborting thier child and educating them by showing them that despite lack of support from parents,the boyfriend or anyone else, you are there for them and they can get through this rough time without "throwing their life away". That is what most of them are afraid of, they get pregnant and automatically consider that they can't finish school much less go to college or have any type of life outside being a mother. This is very frightening to a newly pregnant teenager and that is why they choose many times to abort, and many of them do not really wish to do so but feel they have no other wise option for their future to be bright. I say, take down the sign your holding, step away from the clinic your protesting and hug the girl who's terrified to walk in and say come on there is a better way around all this. You can explain to her why it's wrong..but not just morally because ultimately even though that choice only belongs to God, in reality that girl will make her choice, so treat the situation with care,love and dignity and 9 chances out of 10 that girl will end up having her child. By the way, there are many colleges out there who will house mothers and children so there is hope. Also, try to show the girl that there really is LIFE inside of her instead of making it sound like she's a murderer, if she sees that the baby is full of life and is just like her only small....she will have the hardest time with abortion.

Karen

16. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    abortion is wrong. it shouldn't be practiced. and it is a big disrepect to life. however, it is not murder. those who commit abortion, may have done something wrong, but not in the classificiation of murder.

and though i would say that abortion should not be an alternative, i would not actually know what to say to a rape victim who would rather have the rape-fertilezed egg inside her die instead of having to see her womb grow and grow and possibly get insane with the trauma of the memories with it, not to mention if she would be a good mother to the rape-produced child.

17. archie

archie New Member

AKI Yes it is murder. This sin is forgivable. But it is the sin of murder.

18. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    abortion being murder or not hasbeen discussed very, very lengthly in a 2002 thread. i had my inputs there, at different pages. you can see it in the archive. or better yet, click this shortcut:

Is Abortion Murder

19. I Am Blessed 24

In Bible days when a woman was raped; the rapist was put to death and the baby was allowed to live.

We've come a long way, baby... :rolleyes:

:confused:
    Sue

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aki, it asked for a password to that forum; that wasn't by chance the women only forum, was it?

Since it's passworded, perhaps you could provide a summarization of your viewpoints as to why abortion is not murder?

In the meantime, if euthanasia of the elderly is legalized, would you then consider "putting grandma to sleep" murder?