1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your attitude toward the Thanksgiving holiday

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Nov 18, 2007.

?
  1. A national holiday to give thanks is correct and proper

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. For Thanksgiving, I think more of television—parades, football, marathons, movies—than anything else

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Giving thanks to God is right, but we don’t need a government-proclaimed holiday for it

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  4. I dread the ‘season’ Thanksgiving begins as the ‘greed, gluttony, and vanity’ season

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. I have relatives that I dread feeling obligated to eat with on Thanksgiving

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  6. I like Thanksgiving as the beginning of the “holiday season”

15 vote(s)
    37.5%
  7. Thanksgiving is too full of hypocrisy [gorging ourselves while praying for the needy] for me

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. The Thanksgiving holiday is just a wasted day of overconsumption

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  9. Thanksgiving is religiously neutral—it doesn’t matter if we give thanks, & to whom or what

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  10. I don’t agree with any of these statements

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I do love visiting with family members - especially when kids are present, but I HATE the tension that comes when inlaws feel slighted because we might have spent a few extra minutes with the other side.

One of our mothers feels too stressed to do a holiday meal (and its just 7 people total) and also refuses to drive on a holiday, and the other is a widow and a free spirit who really would rather not clean the house and have the deal. The last few years, we have spent Thanksgiving as a nuclear family. I cook a turkey breast and some fixins, and then we have a meal with a family in our church that we love dearly.

When we had our first child, we told our families that we would no longer be traveling on Christmas. They are welcome to come to see us on Christmas, but it is time for our family to make our own traditions. So far, they have not taken us up on that. We get together before Christmas at some point. (But one side is always suspicious that we are really spending the day with the other side)

That's MY family on Everybody Loves Raymond.
    :)

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

i hear ya and wonder why can't we all get together and be one family? Why do we have to spend time with this side then time with that side? We can't we all get together and spend time?