1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your Baptism

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Ephesus23, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Ephesus23

Ephesus23 New Member

I was just baptized earlier today (Wednesday) during my church's evening service, to finally become an official member of the church. Since the topic is on my mind, I thought I'd ask everyone to give a brief account of what your baptism was like. How long ago was it? What age were you? Did anything funny or unusual occur? Did the pastor baptize you or was it someone else on the pastoral staff? I'll give my account in a later post. [​IMG]

2. moira3

moira3 New Member

I was baptised in Phenix City, AL in 2000. My husband is military and we were stationed at Fort Benning, GA at the time. I was very nervous because a lot of my friends were invited. My husband even went, though he has nothing to do with religion...Anyway, the church had a pool at the top of the altar and I got into a gown and made my way down to the pool. The church was packed. As I was dipped, I felt myself fall backwards and almost lost my footing- which was exactly what the Pastor had warned me about. I was afraid he would be aggravated with me, but he seemed okay. I was happy to be baptised, buit it was embarrassing for someone who doesn't like to be on display in front of a large crowd. I am glad you were baptised. Congratulations!!

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was baptised as a HS sophomore back in the early 70's in a backstage area at Arie Crown Theater in Chicago IL.
    I was attending a Basic Youth Conflicts Seminar (I still have the notebook) [​IMG] .

I'd been saved about 6 months. Nothing special happened but I was blessed.

Rob

4. Servent

Servent Member

I was baptised at the age of 9 in a church of Christ, then at the age of 40 I realized I was not saved, I was not living a life for Christ, and had not been for a very long time.At the age of 40 I confessed the Lord as my savior and was baptised again.

5. john6:63

john6:63 New Member

I was saved when I was 8 and I was baptized (submerged) in 1998 at the age of 27, by a Methodist Pastor at a Baptist Church. I have since became a Baptist about 8 months ago.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

I was baptized in 1991,at my current church, I was 27, had been saved a few weeks.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was saved March 17, 1957, and then baptized by Dr R V Clearwaters on Easter Sunday, 1958. My sister, Nancie (now with the Lord) was baptized at the same time, so Doc had us both come into the baptistry at the same time as an encouragement to each other.

I was 10 and can walk you through the details as if it were yesterday. Of course, I can't remember anything from yesterday . .

8. Ephesus23

Ephesus23 New Member

Thanks for everyone's replies.

As far as my story goes, I was saved on October 2nd of this year, but for some dumb reason, I waited until this past Sunday, the 14th, to make my public profession of faith- I did it during the evening service. Wednesday night the 17th I came to the evening service prepared; however, the church wasn't exactly prepared. Usually, the heat pump is turned on several hours beforehand, so the water is nice and warm. However, nobody turned it on this day, so the water was ice! I went ahead with it anyhow, since I didn't want to wait until Sunday to get baptized. The Associate Pastor of my church, Jack Beaver, baptized me, as he does most of the baptizing in our church.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I was baptized as an infant in a Catholic home. In high school, when I gave my life to Christ, I was baptised as a believer in the ocean. It was cool, because there was a pod of porpoises not far from shore. There were about 10 of us that day. Very informal and casual, but very meaningful.

10. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

I was baptized as a child of about 9 or 10 and what I remember is that the water was COLD - - the heater for the baptistry was broken!

11. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was Easter Sunday night, and I had all the resolve of any adult candidate, mentally or spiritually.

But I was seven, and didn't know how to swim, and didn't like getting water up my nose (still don't). When the pastor lowered me under, my reflexes took over, and I kicked the poor man in the shins. But he brought me up, gently wiped my face with the hanky, and minimized any embarrassment I may have felt. And he never once mentioned being kicked afterward. I always loved him for that.

12. LauraB

LauraB New Member

I was saved in 1999 and baptized in 2001 in my current church by my Pastor. And you do NOT get baptized to become a member of the church. You get baptized as a public display that you have been reborn into Christ.

If someone told you you have to get baptized to become a member of the church you were sadly misinformed.

As far as funny things happening, not to me but when my daughter was baptized she slipped into the Bapistry and she slipped on the way out too.
    Kind of funny I guess.

13. Watchman

Watchman New Member

To become a member of Christ's Church, you are quite right. However, there are some churches that do have a rule that you must be baptized to be a part of that church's fellowship. This is what, I believe, Ephesus23 was speaking of. Rather that is a good rule, or a bad one, can certainly be debated.

As for me, I was baptized by our pastor at a local lake. It was a lovely setting and a great day I will always remember.

14. mioque

mioque New Member

"How long ago was it?" 1980 three days before I moved to Rotterdam to attend Erasmus University.
    "What age were you?" 18, I had just finished the Dutch version of High School.
    "Did anything funny or unusual occur?"
    My church always uses a local commercial swimming pool to do thedipping.
    Getting baptised in chlorinated water in such a prosaïc setting, feels just very surreal.

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

How long ago was it? 44 years ago

What age were you? I was 8 1/2

Did anything funny or unusual occur? No. My feet slipped out from under me and I was scared because of my fear of water, tho.

Did the pastor baptize you or was it someone else on the pastoral staff? Our pastor, Pastor Bob Barker, in Chickasaw, Alabama.

16. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

I was sprinkled by the Episcopal church as baby (or so they tell me). I was baptized (immersed) by the local Southern Baptist Church a couple of years ago, age 33. The pastor dunked me.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I remember talking with one of the pastors after church one day about being baptized. I had been told the reason for being baptized was to show to the public that I was now a follower of Jesus. By the time I was baptized I had written editorials in the college newspaper and had spoken in the free speech platform on the college campus I attended. I had led people to Christ and was leading some Bible studies on campus. So when I spoke with the pastor about being baptized he told me about the public witness. I told him that what I did was even more public. My professors and friends and other students knew I was a Christian. His response was that I should get baptized out of obedience. I couldn't argue with that so I did. When I went into the pool of water I remember well how much taller I was than the pastor and him signaling the other pastor to help him. He asked me a few questions about my being a Christian and then baptized me. I was 21 at the time and a Christian three years.

18. Ephesus23

Ephesus23 New Member

To become a member of Christ's Church, you are quite right. However, there are some churches that do have a rule that you must be baptized to be a part of that church's fellowship. This is what, I believe, Ephesus23 was speaking of. Rather that is a good rule, or a bad one, can certainly be debated. </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, I was speaking about my actual church's membership, not Christ's Church. When you get saved is when you become a member of Christ's Church, as most people know. Some churches require that you must be scriptually baptized to become an official member of that church, however, and that's what I was referring to. [​IMG]