1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Your best three books (other than the Bible)

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 12, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Say is that book by Leiter advocating New Covenant Theology?

2. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Not directly. The book is about one of the essential tenants of NCT, that the Law of Moses has been done away with and eclipsed by the Law of Christ, and what the Law of Christ means; but it isn't really advocating the whole system known as NCT. Make sense?

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What?? So he says using the moral law to show people their need for a savior is wrong? Yes the law has been done away with, but it can show people they are sinners.

4. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks! I'm pretty sure the chemo got it (PET scan was clean). Gotta do radiation next.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned any of Joel Osteen's books on hair care products. smh

5. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

First, you mean the 10 commandments, not "the moral law." The OT never calls the Decalogue anything but the 10 words or the words of the (old) covenant. It is never called the moral law, that is a (bad) theological proposition from the middle ages. Truthfully, all of the Mosaic Law was moral as the Jews were under moral obligation to obey it. Also scripture never divides the Mosaic Law, that's why it's called the Law - singular - it's a unit.

Secondly, he never says that and neither did I - reread my previous post. In fact, he has an entire appendix on "The Lawful use of the Law" which discusses using the 10 commandments in evangelism as well as an FAQ which briefly touches on the topic.

His understanding, and I agree, is that we use whatever "law" the person knows to convict them of their need for a Savior:

For total pagans who know nothing of the scriptures we use the law of conscience - they have willfully violated their conscience in their sin and they know it. That is why in the New Testament you never see the apostles preaching the 10 commandments to gentiles in order to convict them of sin.

For Jews we use the Mosaic Law, as that is the standard they know is from God and they know they cannot live up to it.

For those who know the New Testament, we use the Law of Christ, that is Christ's standards and teachings - which is really what the Way of the Master does partially when they go to Jesus' teachings on anger and lust in place of Moses' commands against murder and adultery.

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

Does he actually support his claims here, or does he just make a hit-and-run statement and expect them to be accepted as fact?

The truth is, the Bible is the best counseling text ever written. It tells us first, in essence, "You can't live life this without Me," and then proceeds how to tell us how, with and through Him, we can have that life in abundance.

If Smith doesn't believe that God's word covers the gamut of human trial, experience, affliction, and regeneration, then I don't believe he's actually read it.

My three are:
    Ancient Christian Wisdom and Aaron Beck's Cognitive Therapy: A Meeting of Minds. Dr. Beck, the father of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, wrote a book designed to introduce his secular colleagues and the secular world to the truths of the Bible.
    We Were Soldiers Once . . . and Young: Ia Drang-The Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam. General Moore described the introduction of Air Cavalry into modern warfare and its first real test.
    Kingdom Man: Every Man's Destiny, Every Woman's Dream Dr. Tony Evans has written one of the best biblically based treatises on living out manhood as God intended.

#47 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2014
  8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said :)

10. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Glad you think so, though I'm honestly surprised. (No offense meant, I just know you're a big Ray Comfort fan and that is pretty contradictory to his stuff.)

Pick up the book when you get a chance. It's a great read even if you disagree with New Covenant Theology.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do disagree with it. However I am not WOTM Only, I am WOTM Preferred and why I said well said.
    I am accountable not to buy any new books at this time unless they are related to a SS class. I can only get books as gifts.

12. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I gotcha. Well at least you are respectful. That's appreciated.

And good on you for sticking to a budget. If you have an amazon wishlist, I recommend putting that book on it for later purchase. All would benefit from it, even a misguided dispy. :smilewinkgrin:

#52 RLBosley, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2014
  13. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Too many from which to select, so I'm offering my choices from three categories, and rated probably by how often I re-read them.

--Biblical: Not By Chance - The Providence of God, by Layton Talbert. Faith-building (for me) descriptions of how God has used (and uses) people and events to accomplish His sovereign will. (2nd: Witness to Christ, Stewart Custer's commentary on Acts.)

--Fiction: Lord of the Rings, the classic quest, and though not a "Christian book", it portrays many Christian values as well as fine literary character from one who loved language. (2nd: Moby Dick)

--Nonfiction: The Year Long Day, by Ivar Ruud. This obscure and probably out-of-print book tells of one man's isolated stay on far northern Svalbard from late summer thru the next June , in crisp, stark (and occasionaly humorous) language. (2nd: The James Herriot books, especially since I just read the biography written by his son.)

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I also thought Chosen by God would be a good buy but I just can't get every book.

But it's good to read. A former poster here boasted of not reading any books but the bible and so he never learned from the many God has gifted to teach the church.