1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your childhood

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gina B, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Go through it briefly, especially the little things. [​IMG] I'll start, going from as early as I can remember on up.

Set of apartments on McLaughlin in Los Angeles, mixing mud and dirt in a cup and telling the neighbor boy it was chocolate milk and watching him drink it.

Found a turtle by the railroad tracks, a big one, got a cardboard box and took it home.

Jumping in dust devils!

Intense fear of anything to do with Sesame Street.

In Sharon PA, going to the candy store and buying pop rocks. Neigbor girl punched me, friends jumped up and held her down so I could hit her back, I didn't want to and went home crying to an uncle who told me to go back and hit her if I was going to cry over it. I packed up and ran away with a friend, got about two blocks when some lady asked if we wanted a ride home and we said yes because we were thirsty, got home before anyone knew we had left.

Moved to a different part of PA, went to take a bath and a mouse jumped out of the drain, sleeping on the table because there were no beds yet, bathing in the creek because obviously the water in the bathtub didn't work!

Pastor of church who was also principal of school we went to died of leukemia, I decided to never eat jello again. I don't know why, for some reason I equated his death with him eating jello.

Jumping off the second floor deck because my brothers said I could fly if I waved my arms.

Trying to talk to animals after reading the Chronicles of Narnia.

Next 6 years are a blank except for best friend getting pregnant at just having turned 14, the school went insane and some parents tried to have her kicked out for the bad influence they figured she would be.

Moved to Ohio, laughing out loud forever because it was still dark when the school busses would come and you would have to feel around to find an empty chair. Don't know why that was so amusing, we'd just never rode a bus in the dark I guess!

Cheerleading, our team making state, picked up the girl in front of me for a cheer and dropped her in front of everyone.

Did a monologue for drama from a play where the girl is suicidal...I was practicing it with a friend there to judge me, in an empty classroom, teacher overheard and thought I was serious and about killed me herself before I could explain. Got an A on the deal in class though! :D

Spanish teacher tried to send me to Mexico as an exchange student, I wanted to and it didn't work out. Best friend went instead and got married. Ha!

Graduated, felt all grown up sitting in a coffee shop drinking coffee before the ceremony at the ampitheater, then went to Cedar Point with fiance and a few friends. Didn't ride the rides much because I never really drank a whole cup of coffee before so 3 cups had me kinda queasy!

There...story of my life up to age 18. [​IMG]

Gina

2. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Childhood? Not good; so much so that I am not sure I should say much about it: it is not fit to print. Strangely enough, although I was such a rebel and no more a christian than the man in the moon, the Bible was about the only thing I was interested in reading and was very sensitive about the sacrifice this Jesus made on the cross, that He would do that for such a discusting creature such as I. Looking back I see that I put myself in situations that, by all rights, I should have been killed. Do I see the hand of God here? You better believe I do, that is the only way to explain it. My point here is: in witnessing, don't let anyone tell you that they have gone too far, or they are passed saving, they are not. They can still find peace with God though our Lord Jesus Christ.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

One thing--one thing--one thing that distracted Blackbird a whole lot in childhood that I need to post while my mind is on it(I'll post again later on this same thread!)

Blackbird's daddy and his relatives--when they took a "headache" or any other ache for that matter--the only aspirin they believed in was B C Powder!! Once, the only aspirin my dad could find while he had a headache was a tablet of some off brand(anything other than BC was off brand to him!)--he took the two tablets and hammered them to powder on the kitchen table---downed the powder--goodness gracious, thats tough!

I figure there ain't nothin' worse than--downing a "paper" of BC! Thats the only part of my family that was "dis-functional!"

Your buddy,
    Blackbird

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Hey Watchman...that's why I said to mostly pick the little things. [​IMG]
    What happened to us isn't so much who we are, although it certainly impacted us, but certain things we enjoyed or can remember with a grin, even if it's a wry one, are still interesting to look back at!
    Like you I read. Constantly. Not the bible though. I turned my life over to Satan at 11, angry and frustrated, promising to serve him since God didn't seem to be interested in being around, in my childish opionion.
    Isn't it amazing how HE could break through all these things and still reach us? Or that he'd WANT to?
    Gina

5. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

I too would like to participate but my childhood was very painful, and not one anyone here would enjoy reading.

Your childhood does make who you are. It does make you or break you!

I am so glad Watchman that you do read your Bible now, and know God's Word.

I am glad that Jesus can take our sins, but as well our pains.

I am so glad the damage from my childhood, I never inflicted that pain on my children. I am so thankful. Because most of lifes experiences do tend to be a cycle that are handed down to the next. I am glad I could break those cycles with my own children.

I am so glad, that even tho I did not know Jesus like I do now, He was there all along, loving me, before I ever knew Him.

Praise The Lord!

Sherrie

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I think I had a pretty good childhood up until about the age of five. After that, it was all downhill leading to rebellion on my part.

Like some of the others, I can remember a lot of the bad things, but I have tried for years and cannot remember one good thing! [​IMG]

But NOW I can sing, "With Jesus in the family, happy happy home". [​IMG]

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I agree to a point, but that point ends when a person takes the situation into their own hands (usually in adulthood) and decides that it will no longer break them or have control over them, whether that means getting professional help or finding a way through it on your own.
    One thing that has really helped has been what you said, not repeating things with your children. It's VERY healing and brings such joy to raise your children and see them safe and loved. If one can think of nothing else good from childhood years, that can be the first...learning how NOT to treat a child and having gone through hard times, being sensitive enough to recognize kids in need and being a friend to them, doing what you can to help. It's interesting...I seem to be able to do not much more than look at a kid and know what's going on with them. If growing up had been great and wonderful with no hard times I wouldn't be able to do that.
    Gina

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

This is true Gina. I turned my rough childhood into a strength and use it to handle the rough times in my life now. God has a way of preparing us for what is to come.

Every adult is who they are TODAY because that is who they CHOOSE to be...not because of their childhood.

9. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

That was cute Gina. Have you ever thought about writing a book? You just have a great writing style...I would buy it.

Okay....Lived in Maywood, California. Went to Mrs. Robinson's preschool. Remember thinking it was so cool to eat cereal from one of those single serving boxes. Was always the last child to be picked up. Remember the family who ran the place were so kind to me, but also remember the comments they made about my Mom being late again. (maybe that's why I hate being late...never thought about it before)

Kindergarten, remember Wednesday was movie day. Hated to be sick on that day. Remember a boy named LeRoy saying that he was going to marry me. My mother named my little brother after him. Remember making a wood air plane at recess. They had a table with nails and wood and hammers that we learned how to use. Remember how awesome it was to pull a magnet through the sand and pick up iron or whatever it was from it. Played with neighbor kids...discovered that even though a neighbor kid told me that red ants didn't bite...that they really did. Remember playing with vasaline in the garage, put it all over a leather ottoman my parents had...tried to convince my dad it was water...he didn't buy it, but he didn't spank me either.

Moved to La Puente, summer before starting 1st grade. Remember all the neighborhood kids coming to my house to welcome me and me telling them that they could come to my birthday party...something my mother put the kabosh on.

Learned how to swim, got junior lifeguard certification at age 11.

We lived next door to the High School. Remember high school kids coming into our yard to pick our hybrid lemons..they were sweet lemons...if you can imagine. Mom taught them to ask first.

Remember Mom being scared at night because Dad was at work (nights). Someone told her she had to face her fears, so one night she opened the front door to be greated by a very large black man in our front yard, which was fenced so he had to have climbed it...it was about midnight...I still remember her screamming and slamming the door.

Remember our house being broken into and not being able to sleep for a few days.

Remember taking piano lessons, and hating that I had to keep my finger nails short.

Junior High: Best friend ran for School treasurer...told me last minute that I had to make a speech to introduce her. (was so shy I almost fainted on stage...I'm sure I sounded like a complete loser) Danced in the 50's day assembly on stage with my friends to the tune of "My boyfriends back"

(middle of 8th grade year) Moved to Simi Valley...My mom went to work at General Motors, my Dad got jeoulous, accused her of having an affair, beat her up...Mom left with my brother, with no shoes on her feet. Left me at home with my Dad, Started not going to school. Got very depressed, first time attempted suicide. I was 13.

Dad sent my brother and I to Arkansas to spend the summer with my Uncle (mothers side) and his family, learned how to water ski...parents got divorced, Mom got custody, moved to Van Nuys.

Got on Swim team, broke record for backstroke. Got written up in news paper. Failed History class, wasn't allowed to compete in competition after that. Started ditching school, got put in a continuation school. Took Proficientcy exam. Passed. Graduated early.

Mom got remarried. Moved to Arleta. Favorite aunt died in childbearing. Step Dad beat me up, Went to live with a friend's family was 17 years old, lived there for about a year. Moved back home for a short time.

Moved into my own apartment at 19, lived alone. Put myself through college while holding a full time job.

10. mozier

mozier New Member

Overall, I had a good childhood.

My parents were really good, loving people, and I learned much from them. My home life was really good, with plenty of love, even when my dad was stern (he was a tough Navy man, though had a soft heart, deep down).

School was difficult, though. I was a bit on the hyper side, and my teachers were not very good at handling it. I was swatted instead of helped. It would have been to have had more awareness of children like me back then.

I was also picked on by the more "popular" kids in school, for reasons unknown. I was not very good at sports, and I was a terrible little league baseball player. I think that contributed to it. All this changed when in the seventh grade, I beat up the toughest kid in school. After that, there was a quiet respect for me.

Later, I got into school band and played drums. However, my band teacher was a difficult man who played favorites, so I eventually dropped out. I did run on the cross-country team, though, and made varsity letter three years in a row.

I never had a girlfriend because I was going to be one of "God's Holy Roman Catholic Priests." I was an altar boy, and served mass every day, almost. Sigh. If only I knew then what I know now.

mozier

11. Gib

Gib Active Member

G.I. Joe with the kung fu grip.

Schwin bike; green, banana seat and old school handle bars.

Going to school in Ft. Worth, TX. The class was divided by english speaking and spanish speaking students. The teacher was bilingual. I remember him speaking to us in english and the to the others in spanish. They would look at us and chuckle. I always wondered what they were laughing at, because the what the teacher said in english, wasn't that funny.

I remember going with dad to visit church members in smalltown KY. I was a wee little lad.

1st crush; Lydia in the 8th grade. She really liked me. Shortly after that Dad said we were moving to B'ham. I was crushed.

High school was fast and furious. Was in the band from the 6th grade till 12th grade. I remember the band trips and competitions. Good friends and lots of mischievous behavior.

My childhood was pretty good. Dad was a preacher and we moved often as he taught at the seminary level, continued his studies and preached. I grew up in Indiana, Kentucky, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida and Georgia.

Then one day I blinked, sneezed and here I am.

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Born and raised in Baton Rouge. My dad and mom made me who I am today---"Train up a child in the way that he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it."

Camping--hit every KOA kampground in the south from Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and both of those Carolina's. When we would camp out of state--daddy would have us visit some Southern Baptist church nearby the campsite--when we were in--state, we'd pack up and leave Saturday nite to be back at our church on Sunday!

Fishing and hunting--I can take you to some places---way way back in the woods--even the IRS would need a map---backwoods swamps with daddy! Cleaning fish--bream and catfish!

Daddy worked for the phone company--the old Ma Bell!! When he worked Saturdays--we'd go to the "shop" with him--all the phone men would chip in and we'd have doughnuts and chocolate milk!! My dad had the phone company job to maintain the phone lines at the LSU football homegames---you know, the little headsets that the coaches wear talking to the other coaches in the press box! He maintained cable television relay microwaves for the game, too! My brother and I watched "a many a ball game" up in the press box!

Being snakebit and falling off a swimming pool ladder onto the concrete below--while trying to slide the slide "backward!"--it was the cool thing to do--but the arm cast wasn't!!

Backyard baseball and football!

Playing church league baseball!

The school bus---short rides TO the school in the mornings--"We're there already???!! MAAAAAAAN!!" Looooooong trips home from school in the afternoon!! "When will we EVER get home?? Can't she drive any faster??? Here, let me drive!!"

Camping out on the riverbank behind the house--a 2 mile hike to the river--

Hanging out with our favorite uncle on his dairy farm--that's where I got the "Farmin'" itch!! Milkin' those Holstein's and Jersey's!

RA campouts! We'd camp when it was "Dad-gum" cold and when it was ferousously hot! It didn't matter to us!! Ticks??? No problem!!

Youth functions and choir "tours!"

Repenting of my sins and receiveing Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior at the age of 18!

Surrendering to preach at the age of 21--going off to college--momma cryin' and daddy acting tough!!

"Now, boy! Be careful!"

I'd come home every weekend at first--but then toward the last of the senior year--daddy would ask, "Think you'll want to come home for Christmas??"

To be totally honest--if I could "Do it!" all over again---I wouldn't miss a single page in going back!!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat!! My dad and mom handed down the blueprint that teaches me how to raise my kids just like they raised me!!

I can go on and on--and if the tread lasts out--I will--just want you guys to know somethin' about how Blackbird was raised!

Your Southern Baptist preachin', childhood rememberin' buddy,
    Blackbird

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Childhood? That was in another dispensation when nobody had any fun. :rolleyes:

PreTeen memories:

Huge family all living together. Abject poverty but didn't know it, living in the inner city of Minneapolis.

Hunting and fishing for food on the table. Got the nickname "Dead Eye" for shooting pheasants in the head with a .22 before they even flew. Walked the tracks or took my Schwinn.

Ball games in the street. Softball every day of the summer on the dirt field at St. Phillip's.

Wait for dairy truck to come down the alley to drop off quarts of milk, and beg for ice chunks.

Rebel without a Cause teens washing their cars and we would float "boats" (sticks, string, popsicle wrapper sails) in the gutter. Dam up the water.

Family vacations at the "lake" where we rented a cabin for a week. Stringers of sunfish and crappie and washing bloodsuckers off our leg at an old hand pump.

Late night trips in the 54 Chevy into Iowa to buy "colored Ole" (some will be old enough to know that term is not a half-black, half-Swede) then bring it back and black market it for cans of commodity peanut butter or pork.

First TV and watching Pinky Lee on Saturday, but the Gillette Fights were too violent so sent to bed. In a "closet" converted into a bunk bed bedroom at the top of the steps.

Read thru the 20-volume "Book of Knowledge" by third grade, insatiable desire to learn and know everything. And the thirst drove me from Jewish roots to Catholic to Baptist until March 17, 1957, when the Holy Spirit regenerated me, giving me repentance and faith to believe in the Son!

Great memories while I am here playing with my grandsons.

Teen years at another time.

14. Elnora

Elnora New Member

I was just going through 30 years of pictures and there were so many memories. Strangely, almost all the pictures reminded me of our life tragedies.

I was a loner, so I spent a lot of time alone trying to figure things out. I feel blessed though. Ultimate evil mom and a dad that was a God send.

I got involved in the darker side of things. My favorite book when I was ten years old was a collection of Edgar Allen Poe's stories. I collected artwork by Frank Frazetta. I had every Creepy and Eerie magazine I could get a hold of. His work inspired me as an artist. I was drawn to horror movies.

Although my dad was like a good mom, he was an athiest, God was not spoken of. I remember asking him about the devil once because a Catholic girl I went to school with was telling me this stuff about God and the devil. My dad said "there is no God, no devil, no heaven and no hell!" Forget about it.

At that time I was so pained emotionally I would go outside, look up at the sky and ask God if he was there. He showed me in a way I could relate, through his beautiful creation. Since I was artistically inclined and very into the details of thing. I could see there was a God. There had to be. All the intricate details of every single thing, I knew could not be an accident as we were being taught in school about evolution.

I accepted Christ when I was 21. My dad accepted him in 1988 before he died. Yes I believe my childhood influenced who I am in Christ today. He turned all the evil and pain to my good. It made me a loving mom and the bonus is I am very sensitive to hurting people as a result. I have been given the answer to peoples broken lives. Jesus!

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

We had our share of accidents, too! My brother "discharged" his 12ga. in our bedroom---blew a hole clean through the sheetrock wall about the size of a dollar coin---fortunately, he was the only one in the room at the time---filled the room up with powder smoke! My brother commented, "I thought that was smokeless powder!"

I was working on a gas engine powered airplane in the house--trying to see why it wouldn't start!! I twisted a few screws, turned a knob and put the "battery" on the glowplug---twisted the prop--all the time daddy was sayin', "Don't start that in here! Don't start that in here!"

"It ain't gonna start!!! Somethin's wrong with the stupid thing!"

Well, it did!!! The engine was screamin' louder than a real Mustang---or so it seemed!! So loud I couldn't hear daddy yellin'---filled the kitchen with exhaust smoke--and smoke from my big ole "rear end" when daddy finished with me!!

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The school cafeteria!! The lunchline--washin' hands and chattering in line---"Pass the word, Dogfood!!"

Spinach being served and ironically at the same time the janitor out mowing the grass---still makes Blackbird worried that the school officials were "pullin' one over" on him!

Blackbird

17. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

You are a Hoot! I tell you what....your crazy! Don't Change! For real...don't!

Your buddy
    Sherrie

18. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Dr. Bob said:

In St. Louis City, you just waited for them to deliver. Then you climbed on the truck took the whole block of ice and pushed it out on the street. It busted everywhere, and kids from everywhere darted in for the kill! The Milk Man would come running and yelling so upset...one of the kids would yell "RUN"! And the next thing you know the streets were bare. Well you could see trails of melts ice...but that is all you seen.

Did I climb up in that truck and do that?....I plead the 5th!

Sherrie

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We had an icebox. The iceman delievered ice every couple of days. Our house was never locked. The milkman came inside and put your order in the icebox.

Things were so simple then.
    Diane

20. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Yeah Diane...Nothing like a chunk of ice and a bolgna sandwhich! And we ate that sandwhich like it was steak! It was sooooooooo good. (I hate bologna now) And when the Hot Tamale Man came down the street with his cart, we would get 5 Hot Tomales for a quarter. That also was good with a chunk of Ice.

He'd yell "Hot Tomale's! "Get your Hot Tamale's!"

Along with hating Bologna...I hate Hot Tamale's now.

But the best is when the Vegetable Man came down the street with his push cart. It was almost as wide as the old brick streets in the city. Us kids would laugh at him because he had to always beat the street car crossing certain places. Oh he was good!

We would get all the bad vegetables for awhile. And we would throw them at him. Oh that was so much fun. He could not put the cart down and chase us. Nor could he when we was getting his vegetables. Then he got real smart on us and got one of those horse whips. He would swing it and yell. hahahahahahahahahaha! That was funnier than throwing them at him!

Ahhhhhhhh...I know....shame on me....I have visited that guy in the nursing home when I was around 25. Nicest guy you ever wanted to meet. He remembered me, and we both laughed about those times. Only his story was different than mine. He kept saying he whooped my rear-end. Funny I don't remember that.

Sherrie