1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your Christian Input is Needed

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by mille1212, Jul 8, 2008.

1. mille1212

mille1212 New Member

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I am in need of your Christian feedback in regards to some websites that I have been working on and off on for the past year +. I am in need of some help in my effort of completing some of these sites, as I do not feel that each contains a complete message in and of itself. I appear to have run across some writer’s block and I am feeling very uninspired as of late, so any extra input on anyone’s part would be extremely helpful to me.

Here’s the rundown on the sites, including my thoughts on each. The goal of the sites is to provide basic truths in a unique and intriguing way. I am praying that this will prompt some people into the action of giving this a further look by connecting to a church within their community. That's why I’ve included the What Now page on each and every website.

You don’t have to agree with me. Feedback, both good and bad is vital to me. If you don't have a lot of time, then just look at one site. That is okay. I just need lots and lots of Christian eyes to look things over.

www.connect2salvation.com : (very good). I think the message is complete here. Thoughts?

www.connect2thebible.com : (pretty good). Vast topic. I know I need lots more content both text-based and video. Am I missing anything that is important?

www.connect2christianity.com : (pretty good). Once, again more content is needed. I am not sure this thought is complete. Am I missing anything that is important?

www.connect2jesus.com : (good). I do not know if this is enough to adequately explain our Lord Jesus Christ? Am I missing anything that is important? Thoughts?

www.connect2missionaries.com : (good). I know more content is needed. Somehow, I am not feeling any inspiration from this website. Do you know a missionary that could help me out with this?

www.connect2prayer.com : (mediocre). Way short on content. No unifying message. Only good page is How to Pray. I like that one. Do you have any ideas for improving?

www.connect2christians.com : (mediocre at best). Again, no unifying message and short on content. I am just not sure what I want to do with this site? Just about anything would be helpful here.

Thank you in advance. Even one thought will help.

Your brother in Christ,

Dave

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

The sites look good, very professional. (I take exception to the images of Jesus...)

Is there a purpose behind the similar themes but separate websites? Or has there been thought to integrating them into one site? What about discussion forums, chat rooms, or shoutboxes?

3. mille1212

mille1212 New Member

Images

I appreciate your input.

What specific images do you refer to? The headers on all of the Connect 2 Jesus webpages, or a specific video? If, a video, which one?

I did put some thought into the seperate websites. Although I admit that my reasoning could be faulty, it nonetheless was as follows:

1.Search engines. My thought was that multiples websites would ultimately be a more effective approach. Kind of like fishing. The more poles you have in the water, the better chance you have of catching a fish.

2.Information overload. I wanted to avoid putting too much information onto one website. I have been to websites that overwhelm you with information. One that comes to mind is godandscience.org. My thought was that one central topic per site was a simple and unthreatening way to present information. The problem though becomes having enough information on one topic to fill up a website, which I obviously do not on several of the sites (this may be what you are referring to) If I combined the sites, it would most definitely be enough to fill up a website. But, then as I continue to expand and add content over the years (this will be a continuous process), it would eventually come to the point of information overload that I wanted to avoid to begin with. :laugh: I did provide links to all of the other websites under the get connected tab to allow people the opportunity to explore additional topics if they so choose. Maybe I need to make these stand out a bit more?

3.Witnessing Tools. My thought is that there are now seven topics (websites) that my brothers and sisters could use as a resource to share with others. If someone has questions about the Bible, you could send them to that specific site. But, they will all be linked together, so that person could also be exposed to all of the other topics as well if God so leads them to do so. I started with these seven sites, but I see no reason why this list of topics could not grow to 20 or more over time. Of course, I would need the help of others to accomplish this. I ultimately would like to have one person (like a moderator) in charge of the content and interaction on each individual site.

In regards to your ideas about discussion forums, etc. I have thought about this and I would not allow for these things unless it was moderated. I have found that a few bad influences can ruin the whole concept. I am not currently in a position to be able to do this, but I do have plans for these in the future (look at number three above).

Sorry for the long winded response. :godisgood:

Dave

4. sjeff1

sjeff1 New Member

Wow! I can't imagine the amount of work that you put into these sites!

My only advice (and I want to keep it from sounding too long winded) is to take a step back, pray, and ask God what he wants to do with these. We all come up with what we think are great ideas, but those are our plans, not His. He has a plan for you and these sites, so I would suggest that you pray for His guidance, and to use the sites to his glory.

From one web person to another, I think you always need to figure out who your audience is going to be, and what you need to do capture their attention. It's no small feat to get people to go to your site, and then you need to have the means to capture them.

At the same time, you need to look at what you think you want to accomplish. Your sites are designed to educate and stimulate thinking, and although you may accomplish that goal, you may never see the fruits of your labor. If someone goes to your site for 15 minutes, learns about Christianity for the first time, goes away and never comes back BUT over time becomes a Christian, have you accomplished your goal? Not saying you did or didn't, but you probably want to think about what you want the site to accomplish.

Now, full circle back to my original comment. What you want it to accomplish may not be what God has in mind. :)

I think you have some great content, and I suspect folks will visit and read what you have. I know that's a tremendous amount of hard work!

Keep us up to date!

SJ

5. mille1212

mille1212 New Member

That was some great advice my brother. That's exactly what I needed to hear, and I will do just that. :praying:

I very much appreciate your input, as well. I will put some thought into the advice that you have given.

God Bless,

Dave