1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Your favorite books of 2013

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His literary output was monumental. But he was quite the liberal. Was he of a more conservative bent in his early,formative years?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always appreciated the Christ-centeredness of Barth’s writings. His theology grew out of opposition to liberal theology and undoubtedly that contributed to some of his views (I believe they were often reactionary to liberal theology of his day). But as far as orthodoxy or a biblical view of Scripture the answer is no. Barth always maintained a view that can be termed neo-orthodoxy.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, Barth became more "conservative" following his time in the pastorate and as a chaplain in WWI.

I think Barth is immensely helpful to evangelicals today and have always enjoyed his theology. He isn't a fundamentalist, nor awfully conservative, but I can't call him a liberal. (Of course one man's liberal is another man's conservative I suppose.)

Barth saw the failings of the German Liberal (capital "L") school at work in his beloved Swiss Reformed heritage. His theology, his post-Reformation neo-orthodox dogmatics, is dialectical in nature which might be confusing for many. Yet he leveled a massive theological defeat to the German Liberal school with his work. :)

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I want to read Crazy Love.

I read a book by Brian McLaren from 10 to 15 years ago I found interesting. While I don't advocate for it, I did find it interesting.

5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Crazy Love is very good. Perhaps the best book of 2013 for me.