1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your favorite dog breed?

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by abcgrad94, Jul 29, 2014.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've always been partial to big dogs like labs and great Danes, but since we got a poodle mix, I've gotten bitten by the itty-bitty-fru-fru doggie syndrome. I really like having a lap dog to comb and spoil and decorate with hair bows. It's a new thing for me, having a dog that has no real purpose but to snuggle and take up residence in my lap. She's not the brightest, but the cuteness factor sure makes up for it!

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My favorite is Border Collies but I also have a Balck Mouth Cur Hound.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know, I'm the wrong gender, but I just couldn't resist. In a nutshell, I like smart gentle natured dogs that require little or no supervision. Trouble makers will find a new home before we ever get attached to them.

This is my 'pack' gathered around for the daily cheese bits with meds feeding, L to R, Bandit and Duke (Papillions), Myna (Spitz mostly), Kandi (Anatolian Shepherd mostly), Spooky the cat (I don't know about cats), and Tess (blk German Shepherd mostly); all but the Papillions are rescues from the pound.

[​IMG]

The Papilions are the first 'lap dogs' I've ever really gotten attached to, they're very smart (some list them as 9th most intelligent breed) and very friendly (they would be easy to steal), only gripe I have with them is their hair, they shed, they must be combed regularly to keep the shedding under control.

Incidentally, Poodles are listed as #2 on the IQ scale for dogs.

I love Border Collies (#1 most intelligent), we used to breed and raise them to sell. But they MUST have something to keep them occupied or they'll eventually get into something (at least until they get a little older). And you cannot keep free range chickens and free range Border Collies at the same time, I've tried.

#3 kyredneck, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  4. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Used to have a bloodhound, loved her, but she roamed too much. Not sure if a neighbor poisoned her or she got in to something on the farm. :flower:

Currently have 2 Great Pyrenees.They are a bit lazy at times :sleep:, I've had foxes and turkeys run through the yard and they don't even raise an eyebrow. But if a plane flies overhead or when the nearby train rolls through they go crazy. Oh well, I love em anyways.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hounds, I've a soft spot for them, they're generally very good natured, but their nose and stomach gets them into trouble if you don't keep them confined when unsupervised. I grew up with coon hunters, all on Mom's side, and I tried being one, but just could not keep a dog chained all the time as they did. I tried to keep them as pets like any other dog, but they just wouldn't cooperate; they roamed and always got into trouble with our neighbors eventually.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gots 3 bulldogs (what a suprise huh) LOL

And a shepherd mix (mutt) .... I love them all. :love2:

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We've always had Dachshunds.

My last one was a Standard Red Long Haired Dachshund named Cracker Jack (a.k.a. C.J., Jack, and Killer).

He had the bark of a large dog but weighed in at about 30 lbs. (huge for a dachshund but he was skinny as could be).
    He wasn't a lap dog, he was a lap and a half dog!

He had the heart of a lion, even Dobermans backed off when he confronted them.
    He was fearless; loved to dig; loved to get dirty; loved the snow; loved to chase and kill small game; mice, rats, rabbits, groundhogs, voles, snakes, even a couple of skunks.

He was my decoy when I'd oil the Canada Goose eggs in the spring, they would pay all their attention to him while I oiled the eggs. He looked like a large fox.

I've got a marker in the back yard where I buried him, I still miss him, terror that he was.

Rob

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had a Cocker Spaniel, Bassett and an Irish Setter, and loved all of them. None were anything but big ole lovable pets, and I shed many tears when each of them made the transition to dog heaven.
    I love most any dog, but am very particular as to which I would own, and as of now, I'm dog-less.
    Don't cotton to a house dog, but since I'm getting to the age that I may become house-bound at some time, would consider one then.

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

G.S., as I am partial to the big guys, but for smaller ones, stuck on Basenjis.
    Nothing gets your heart going faster than a totally unexpected "Ba-Ba-Ba-roooo!" after a week of total silence. I've grown rather fond of my ability to jump ten feet in the air. My husband can go twenty.

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

No question: Border collie. They're the smartest dogs in the world.

Grew up with one on the farm. We got him as a pup. Our dairy cows gathered way over on the north side of the farm, nearly a half-mile from the barn, and being pure-bred Holsteins, they were just plain dumb. So dumb they wouldn't come to the barn at milking time. So I had to go get them every day after school. When the collie -- I named him Rex for no apparent reason -- was about four months old, he started following me out into the pasture one day.

He did that for a week. To me, he just seemed to be nosing around the pasture, smelling smells and watching cows, birds, whatever else there was to watch. One day he took off after a rabbit, but being small, he didn't catch him. I wondered what he would have done if he had.

The following Monday, I got off the bus, walked down the driveway toward the barn -- and saw all the cows in the barn lot, the dog sitting in front of the gate to the lot looking at me like "Hey! Look what I did!" I spent one week showing him the ropes in the early morning hours when it was dark, doing the same thing, and after that I never had to go to the pasture again to drive cattle. I went anyway. He was entertaining to watch.

One day he came across a cow with a new calf. He'd never seen one before. But he dutifully cut the cow and her calf out of the herd and left them in the pasture. Now how the heck did he know to do that?

Rex was an amazing gift from God. He was a friend, a coworker, and a playmate. It's been 44 years since he died. Sometimes I still miss him.

11. PinkFlowers

PinkFlowers New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the past I've had a Siberian Husky and, later, a German Shepherd. Loved them both. Our friends nearby have Jack Russell terriers. One of the dogs stops by and visits with me occasionally. She is so adorable, and I love her personality. So, it's my new favorite breed. Now I'm thinking I want one or two of my own.

12. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rough and smooth Collies are the love of my life. Though I've never owned one. From the reading I've done, they would be a good match with me. They are less driven than other herding breeds, and easy to train.

I have owned a herding breed, a German Shepherd. I love them a lot, too. Mine had less need for exercise than most, or at least she was capable of adjusting to my level of energy. She was very intelligent and easy to train. Very protective as well, I always felt safe with her. She did have a bit of an issue with aggression towards other dogs, she was very dominant with them.

13. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My dog that just passed away a couple months ago was a Papillon mix. Possibly had some Shetland Sheepdog, or I suspect he did. But the Papillon was a definite.
    I wouldn't mind owning another one. He was pretty easy to train. More independent than my Shepherd was. (The Shepherd was very clingy and followed me like she was my shadow, I rather liked that quality.) He was a pretty chill dog, didn't fuss if we missed a walk. His only enduring bad habit was running out the door and all over the neighborhood.

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Black Lab.

Here is a picture of her best side:
    Sadie.jpg dog nose.jpg

15. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rescue. Though our current pooch came thru Maine Lab Rescue, which adds some context to our preferences.

Long ago I saw a "How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb" joke, though I can only recall three breeds:
    --Golden retriever: Chill out. The sun is warm, the day is young, so why worry about light bulbs?
    --Border collie: Exactly one, and she'll make sure your wiring is up to code while she's there.
    --Lab: Me! Me! I wanna do it! Let me do it, pleeeease!

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ones that Bark!

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    20210424_165404.jpg

18. TurtleSox

TurtleSox Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't say I have a favorite breed. I adore all dogs. I do adore little dogs. They're so adorable when they defend their person.

There they are no taller than a slice of bread and yet they'll bark and act ferocious as if channeling their inner doberman pinscher. :Laugh "arf, arf, arf! You don't want none of this buddy! Back off or I'll chew your ankles off till your my size! " Hahaha :Roflmao