1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your favourite Paraphrased Version.

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Ben W, May 30, 2003.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Often we hear of new versions of the Bible that are being brought out with the idea of relating the scripture in terms that are consistant with modern language. Yet often these are openly stated to be Paraphrases, and not intended for Expositry type study.

So which is your favourite? Is there a Paraphrased version that you enjoy? What is it about it that draws you to it over other versions?

My favourite Paraphrase is "The Living Bible". This was my first ever bible, and I was able to understand it easily. I even like the 1970's type language that surfaces in it from time to time "Man" ;)

And the bit about the prophets of baal and baal being preoccupied on the toilet, :D well what can you say [​IMG]

2. Arubian Baptist

Arubian Baptist New Member

I even heard that in early versions of the living bible there was a phrase which sounded more or less like..."you son of a bi..."

My opinion...why should I worry with pharaprases from bibles that are NOT Gods word?

Sorry, can't join you in this one

3. bapterian

bapterian New Member

Hi Ben W! Greetings from Texas!

I'll join you on this one!

I don't use paraphrases that much, but my favorite is The New Testament In Modern English by J.B. Phillips aka "Phillips". I don't use it for serious study, but use it occasionally for devotional reading.

4. Forever settled in heaven

o mine's gotta be the KJB1611!

where else wld u have such ripe phrases like "p*sseth against the wall," "G-d save the king," n "G-d forbid"?

it's difficult to get any nearer to what KJBO D.A. Waite calls "perfect 1611 parlance" (http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/fourfold.htm&e=747)!
    :D

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Arubian Baptist said:

I even heard that in early versions of the living bible there was a phrase which sounded more or less like...

. . . "Thou son of the perverse rebellious woman" (1 Sam 20:30 KJV).

6. bapterian

bapterian New Member

Watch out Ben W! You've opened the door wide open for our King James Only friends! Don't be surprised if you don't get an anwer to your question, but rather a lecture on the inferiority of all non-KJV versions. :rolleyes:

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's pretty much what Elijah said in the Hebrew. "Is your god out covering his feet?" ("covering his feet" in this context means that he had his britches down. [​IMG] )

8. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Ben W said:

And the bit about the prophets of baal and baal being preoccupied on the toilet

Yeah, I always loved that part; Taylor nailed Elijah's jeering in that passage. (From what I can understand, the Hebrew is a bit difficult there and that could be an accurate paraphrase, too.)

My personal favourite is J. B. Phillips' translation, particularly that of the epistles of Paul. He brings out the fact that they are, actually, personal letters.

9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My favorite is Eugene Peterson's, "The Message".

It is certainly a paraphrase, but Peterson worked closely with the Greek and Hebrew to make it very accurate. A friend of mine who is an expert on classical Greek and Latin (teaches at Dartmouth) has been very impressed with Peterson's New Testament work.

10. kman

kman New Member

Ditto for me here. Phillips translation will always have a place in my heart...I was saved while reading through it.

-kman

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Phillips for me, too. Just wish he had done so with the OT too. NLT is still a paraphrase in my mind. Message is so-so.

12. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I make it a practice to stay away from the paraphrases - referring to one of them only occasionally. I use mainly literal translations, with an occasional dynamic equivalence version thrown in for good measure...definitely not a KJVO person.

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another nod for Phillips, which is now available online.

14. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thankyou for all of your responses. Just as a side note, if you are into KJVO doctrine, it could be an idea to look at having another thread on that particular subject. This thread is openly concerned with Paraphrases, and those who have a favourite.

The Message Bible. I have heard of this before, One minister I knew used to read it from the Pulpit at times, to give another point of view. To be honest I had forgotten all about it.

The New Testament in Modern English by Phillips. Sounds really good, next time im in the city i'll go see if I can find a copy.

Does anyone have any idea of how many revisions there have been of the Living Bible? I would like to get another one the same as I first had.

How about the "Good News Bible" does anyone like that particular one?

15. Arubian Baptist

Arubian Baptist New Member

yes, that was exactly the verse I was reffering to, indeed they changed it later in the way you qouted it.

But before, according to what I have read, it was thou son of a ..... (Female doggie?)

16. Haruo

Haruo New Member

When my sister (Peggy, who is now a Wycliffe translator bringing God's preserved word, though not KJV, to the Mazatec-speaking people of southern Mexico) was a student at Wheaton, she got a summer job at Tyndale House, and came thereby into the present she gave me the following Christmas, to wit, a nice padded-green-covered "Living Bible" which had been bound upside down by mistake (and hence discarded). This was my first real introduction to Biblical paraphrases, and I was not greatly impressed. I do remember, though, and am still greatly amused at the recollection, a footnote to the story of the LORD's/angels' visit to Abe and Sarah prior to the obliteration of Sodom. In Taylor's rewrite, Abraham says (as I recall; it's been a few years since I looked) "Quick, Sarah, whip up some pancakes!" And then there's a footnote on the word "pancakes", and the footnote, which makes the whole passage memorable, reads "Probably some sort of tortilla"!!

Obviously written for folks who'd never seen matzoh.

Haruo

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just started reading Goodspeed so far so good. Phillips is fine as is the Living Bible. The Message would probably be at the top right now but I haven't finished with Goodspeed. I would not echo the words of Tom concerning the NLT. Although it is translation that is free in expression it is still a translation not a paraphrase. But I understand the thinking Tom is coming from and respect his opinion.

18. Haruo

Haruo New Member

I've never seen Goodspeed referred to as a paraphrase as opposed to a translation before. How do you come to place it in this category?

The Message I would say is clearly a paraphrase, or even a rewrite or something, and while it's probably a good indicator of what Eugene Peterson thinks the text is about, it's about two steps further removed, I think, from that text than is the original Taylor LB.

Haruo

19. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can anyone fill me in on what the "Goodspeed" version is?

20. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't care for paraphrases. If someone is saved through one, wonderful, but a more accurate translation would be better to understand what God wanted to tell you. There is always the tendency for a paraphraser to insert his/her own opinions and interpretations in a passage, and this can be dangerous to someone who does not understand the difference between a paraphrase and God's word.

Many times, a paraphrase unnecessarily complicates a passage such as this one from the "Message."

1Co 13:13 But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love.

Here is a comparison to the ASV:

1Co 13:13 But now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; and the greatest of these is love.

and the KJV:

1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.

Jason :D