1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Your Line in the Sand Starts at: G, PG, PG-13, R, or X__?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 16, 2012.

?
  1. G

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. PG

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. PG-13

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. R

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. Soft X

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. XXX

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. I do not indulge in anything from Hollywood

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. I do not watch anything on TV that blends cussing into its plot

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. I tolerate most things, because they don't affect my morals, values, views

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. I am selective as to my children and what they watch, but I have no limits

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

LOL SN, why don't you tell us how you really feel??

I agree with you though. Those two shows were practically the only tv we were allowed to watch as children, with EVERYTHING else labeled as filth. I'm not certain why my folks even had a tv unless it was to watch the news (which we kids did NOT until we were teens). I watched enough Little House that I could practically recite the dialogue. :rolleyes: My own kids think it is booooorrrrring, which is just fine with me!

I should also say that I've never been one for theater going. Just never have seen the point in going out to a movie when in a few months I can sit in the comfort of my own livingroom and watch it. But this new 3D Imax stuff the theaters have now is fantastic. Expensive, but fantastic. I'm hooked, but it has to be the right movie. Avengers was good. So was Sherlock. I wanted to go see Snow White and the Huntsmen, but the budget didn't allow for it! (oh well, there is always the livingroom!)

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We will watch G and PG, provided there is not excessive swearing or taking of God's name in vain. The kids don't watch anything over PG. Usually, we adults follow the same rule.

We do not go to the theater, but we did made an exception to go see Courageous as a family.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Over the last few years movie watching (except for a couple of them shown at church) has dropped to zero. Watching TV is on a very rapid decline, too. Most of that is now the news, which is getting harder and harder to watch, as well.

-- Dress of the female reporters

-- Emphasis on reporting on "entertainers" activities. Is it actually news worthy that some movie star has separated from his/her spouse? And, include tabloid gossip on fallen politicians -- John Edwards and Hunter's upcoming book. On the news as I type. Back to entertainers, I dread it when I hear the news that a big name has passed away. How many days of wall to wall coverage did we have to bear, in order to watch the weather forecast, when Jackson died?

-- Extensive coverage of pro anything that's anti blibical. (gay marriage demonstrations, for example)

-- Sports, sports, sports. Making idols and then reporting on their clay feet.

-- Fueling the fires of protests and divisions - Showing over and over again, video that shows some people at their worst. Cops beating an "innocent" person, racist remarks against minorities, etc.

-- Token bleeping of the few words that aren't allowed to be aired. Token in that exactly was spoken is easily understood.

-- Political bias that has moved from the "editorial" pages to hard news (using a newspaper example). News slanted towards positive coverage for favored candidates and issues. Slanted towards negative coverage of those opposed to same.

In closing, from a news and entertainment standpoint, I sometimes feel we'd be better off living on a farm in Walton Grove with our neighbors, the Wilders.