1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

your opinion plese

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by donnA, Mar 13, 2005.

1. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Things must be considerably different in Kentucky than here in Georgia, Donna. Even if Diane's husband is working 40 hour weeks, at $8.55 an hour that's less than $18,000.00 a year! Rent/mortgage alone would take up nearly half of that amount. I don't see that anyone could survive on that amount along each year here in Georgia, especially with a family to support. I was making not must less than that 16 years ago as a receptionist.

Maybe Diane only asked for prayer for a better paying job for her husband beause she knows it is stressful for him trying to support his family on what he is making. Maybe she knows he this is the desire of his heart . . . to have a better paying, more secure job to be able to house and feed his family. Maybe the desire of her heart was to see her husband be able to 'breathe easy' when it came to his job situation.

Julia

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Julia, Diane has said before she lives in a poor area, living costs are cheaper in the poorer areas. And as I said we live on less. When we had a family to support he made much less then he does now. We oaid everything ourselves, even food and when neded medical.
    When God bless are we to tell Him it isn't good enough for us? Are we to demand more? Demanding more isn't faith.
    This thread is not about Diane, it is about someone else, as I have stated.
    Please stay on the op's(that would be me) topic, not Diane's topic. If you want to discuss Diane please start a new topic.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Well guess what we live on less $17,000. a year, after taxes and uniforms(taken out of his pay) we live on less the $14,000. a year. The information I posted on Diane's full moon threads puts our medien incomes at around what each family(that being Jim's income only) makes, with cost of livng being similar in each city. There are more owner lived in homes there then here, and they are more valuable there then here.
    According to web sites I could find,
    Per capita income in Villa Rica is $18,515, they have average income in thier town, Horse Cave (here) is $21,134(2003), we have less then average.The per capita income for whites here is $19,521, we make less, In Villa Rica, $15,640, so they make more. Plus add Diane's babysitting money to Jim's income and it's even higher. I have no income, I allow my husband to take care of us as he should.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Ok, back on topic now,
    My beleif is that when we pray and God answers we have no right to tell Him He didn't answer good enough we want more. He knows what is perfect for us, God's ways are much better then ours. We should choose Him, rather then telling Him we want more then He gives. We should accept God's blessings as He gives them. And ask Him for the wisdom to use His blessing right(as in income), so that we can experience the blessing as He intended.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Julia lives not far from me and knows the cost of living in this area. Our mortgage payment is $735. a month. Our adjusted gross income last year was $3,424.00. (For those who don't know, that's what you're taxed on after allowed deductions). Yes... that is the correct amount AND included gifts, baby sitting income, delivering Yellow Pages, day jobs, etc. We claimed everything even tho they were not reported to the IRS.

If you read my prayer request again, you'll see I mentioned looking for other children to keep and Jim seeking a SECOND job to help with that $8.85 per hour position so we could HONOR OUR DEBTS. I don't believe God wants Christians to not pay their bills. $354.00 a week BEFORE taxes and without health insurance is not enough to live on in this poor area. Jim brought home $460. today for 2 weeks pay. :(

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Well, I guess we all have our own sob stories. We can't afford insurance either (kids have the state stuff) and we only have one vehicle (gift grom grandma), but we are living just fine. (Not implying that anyone isn't.) I just think that people put their money where they want to put their money. We could cut out ballet for the girls, Jazzercise for me, and extras like internet and eating out from time to time if we really *wanted* to be able to afford health insurance. Or I could take on more piano students, but we are happy. God provides for everything we need, as I have seen He does for many of you, too.
    We have a running joke about what we are gonna do when dh's book royalties start rolling in. [​IMG] But that wont be for another few years. I dont mind one bit, and I dont think its against God's plan for me, working (while staying with my kids) to bring in extra income. God put a call on my life, too.
    Now I am NOT implying anything toward anyone. I have been following this thread and even laughing at the absurdity of the underlying tones. Someone famous once said, "Can't we just all get along?" [​IMG]

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Tater, we have health insurance now. That's why the lower amount. We pay $222.00 a month for health insurance on Jim and me. Nick's is through PeachCare and is $10. a month. [​IMG]

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Robert makes $326. a week before deductions, a lot less, and we live a very echnomically depressed area.So it's not a battle of whose town is poorer. If I just could not afford to live at my present level I'd go lower, live lower. It's called living within your means. We all do it. Mostly all. First thing I would do is drop cable and internet and then if I had too I'd move to a cheaper house.

Like I said, this is not 'Diane' thread.
    If you can't stay on topic don't post. Now everyone is discussing Diane,and not the original topic.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

10. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

no, its not a Diane thread, but it is a living within your mean thread, I would think. (Glad yall got that insurance, D! Thats pretty cheap!)

The folks you were talking about seem to have a problem with that, but there seems also to be deeper issues in that situation. And it seems to be issues we can't fix on here. Sadly, they arent the only ones - we have a society full of folks like them. I think its draining that very society.

11. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

We like Diane. [​IMG]

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That's possible ...

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

donnA

I am trying to get back to the original topic ...

But, I am not sure what it was ... So here goes nothing ...

Yes, it is Godly to desire a job that pays the bills and keeps you comfortable so that you can serve God.

$36,000 would do for starting pay ...

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

No, that isn't actually the topic. And I think we should live within the means God supplies us and not want more and more, which is greed. Live comfortably? Where is that right in scripture? Paul didn't live that way, Jesus didn't live that way. What right do we have to demand it of God? If you can't pay your bills, then maybe you have too many bills, like cable and internet for starters. We in this country seem to think we can have it all, anything we want we deserve, and God had better give it to us.
    $36,000 here is for college educated professionsal, teachers, and up. Not ANY common laborer, or even facotry employees, which are the best non higher education jobs here.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm requesting that someone lock this thread as it is not about Diane, but she has turned it into that.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

First,

I am a college trained professional.

But, that is not what I based the 36,000 upon. I based it upon the median wage ... which is around 50k.

I figure that giving owners 28% off the top should be fair in any discussion.

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

But, since you asked for opinion ...

I do not see any problem with someone looking for a new job for more money. As long as God has not specifically told them not to.

18. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

There's a difference between demanding and asking. And even some who don't ask "live comfortably." Is that wrong?

When we look on material things in the right way, that's what makes the difference.

King Solomon was the wealthiest man on earth. It was when he looked to the wealth for happiness that he found vanity . . . If one has the right persepective of wealth, it's not a problem.

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Exactly ...

And I for one do feel better when I have enough to enjoy what I have ...

20. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

Poor people are not necessarily more content or more "Christian," either. . .

I spent 3 weeks in Odessa Urkaine and met Christians who were very content. They had virtually nothing.

Then I met some in the same condition who were complaining. "I want to live in America," said one teenager. He pointed to the huge 5 star hotel in the city center. "Where all the houses are like that."

:eek: