1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your Opinion

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Servent, May 11, 2007.

1. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Point taken. I suppose your country had a more definite starting-point than mine. Even so, we don't have to look very far back in our history to find a time when God and His Word played a much more vital role in the life of the nation than it does now.

If they are refusing to read the bible (rather than being unable to do so because of physical blindness, illiteracy or what ever), are they really Christians? I don't say that in a judgmental way, but (perhaps because of the way "the world" uses the term Christian) many people are deluded into thinking that you can become a Christian by never doing anyone any harm, or by having parents who were Christians, or by default, because they are not Buddhists or Siekhs or Hindus or ... It is surely because there are people who have such notions that terms like "born again Christian" were coined. After all, God's Word tells us that we must be born again to be a Christian, so the idea of a Christian who has not been born again is unbiblical. In the 2001 UK Census, about 41 million people, out of almost 59 million, said they were Christians. Yet only 3½ million (about 7%) meet to worship God on an average Sunday! There wasn't a question about bible reading in the census, but I would hazard a guess that even less than 3½ million people in the UK read the bible and pray daily. If such people are no more than "nominal Christians", it is sad, but not surprising that they treat the bible with apathy, or take it for granted.

2. Servent

Servent Member

You make a good point, our churches today are filled with people who are not saved. We baptized a 72 year old man yesterday who has been in church forever, and had never excepted Christ as his Saviour