1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your opinions on joel osteen?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Aug 22, 2006.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Your opinions on joel osteen?

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think he smiles a lot. :D

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He's got a lot of hair.

4. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

my blood pressure is already high enough so i try not to think of him.

5. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

Who is joel osteen?

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

We've had threads and comments here on Osteen before. I should just save my remarks in Word and post them when this comes up. :smilewinkgrin:

Inquiring Mind, Osteen has the largest church in the US. About 45,000 attend each Sunday. His book, Your Best Life Now, has been a huge bestseller.

Osteen is a Word of Faith teacher and also has taught the heresy that Jesus had to go to hell to fight Satan in order to atone for sins (i.e., his work was not finished on the cross).

Osteen is more like a motivational speaker than a preacher giving the gospel. He wants people to feel good and so he feeds them stuff to make them feel good. He also teaches New Thought principles (this is from a non-Christian movement that spawned Christian Science, Unity, and Church of Religious Science churches) which state that if you think or say certain things, you attract those things into your life (or keep them out). The New Age also incorporates a lot of New Thought.

Osteen has said on TV interviews that he does not like to talk about sin or hell, as those are "negative." He likes to stick to the positive. The problem is, the Bible is not about negative and postive, but about good and evil, salvation or damnation, Satan or God.

7. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

Satan's advocate more or less.

8. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Thank you, Marcia! I could not have stated it better.

9. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Joel Osteen believes that what he is saying and doing is good. He inspires lots of folks. I wonder how he can stay so upbeat, message after message, without notes, smiling about 97% of the time. You'd think he would run out of happy thoughts, or others would tire of the same old sandwich Sunday after Sunday. Watching and listening to his wife sing, you'd think that they have a deep, deep, spiritual relationship with their Creator. I'd love for his congregation to be polled. Three questions I would want answered: 1) Does the Bible describe in detail the plan of salvation? 2) Was the sacrifice of Jesus Christ sufficient? .... and 3) Is Jesus God? Then I'd tell you what I think about his ministry.

10. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

I read his book. Even after reading it, I'm not sure I could answer very many questions about what he believes, because there really wasn't a whole lot to it.

He is a Biblical literalist, which is where he gets his "Word of Faith" theology and his belief in "name it and claim it" prosperity. However, the book was quite lacking in scripture support.

The claim that they have 45,000 in worship each Sunday is highly exaggerated, according to friends of mine who live in Houston. The building seats 16,000, they have a Saturday night and two Sunday morning services. The Saturday night crowd is about 10,000, and the two Sunday services together may gather another 10,000 total. They may have 45,000 "members," but like most mega-churches, the membership figure is 60% greater than the actual attendance.

It might be interesting to have someone from Houston on the board describe the impact Lakewood has on smaller churches. My friends tell me that between Lakewood and Second Baptist, the smaller, evangelical congregations are almost non-existent in the western inner city area.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

he smiles a lot . . .

12. panza1_99

panza1_99 New Member

I've watched him on TV, doing some research on him; but i will not judge him .

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

You can't judge his heart or his motivations but you can and should judge his teachings according to the Bible. In fact, we are told to do this. The Bereans compared what Paul was saying with the Scriptures; Jesus warned of false teachers; we are told in Gal 1.8 that even if an angel comes with another gospel, to condemn it; 1 and 2 Tim. tells us over and over to hold to sound doctrine, and on and on.

Osteen has said on national tv (I think it was Dateline) that he doesn't preach about sin or hell because those are "negative" and he only likes to talk about the positive. He teaches that your thoughts can affect material reality (just the power of the thoughts - this is from New Thought teachings). He said on Easter in '04 that Jesus went to hell and fought Satan. He says in his book that you have to say your blessings out loud in order to get them (speaking them releases the power; this is Word Faith, which he learned from his father). That's just a small tip of the iceberg.

14. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dapper, slick.