1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your thoughts on the New Living Translation

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Prodigal Daughter, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Tom,

It has to do with what the NLT started out to be... a revision of the Living Bible - a paraphrase. Well the group of translators given this task soon saw that would not work, and approached the late Kenneth Taylor (paraphrasor of the LB) about it. He agreed. So the NLT became a true translation. Now, though the NLT translation team insists that it is a true translation, no translation starts by revising a paraphrase, so there were some issues with the 1st version, since they did consider LB wording and used it at times when they deemed it accurate. What resulted was a very good translation which on occasion was too close to the LB and therefore had several fatal flaws. It was a goodwork, but there were places that just were not very accurate.

In version 2 they took time (6 years or more) to do a careful, detailed revision. As a result it is also more FE - closer to middle-of-the road like the NIV. It is surprisingly more FE than other free translations such as the CEV, NCV, Good News and The Message (which is a paraphrase, according to Dr. Peterson's interview with CT). Though I personally really like it, I would not consider it a good study Bible.

FA

#21 Faith alone, Feb 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2007
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Can someone post a few verses that would highlight some of the differences between the NLT releases? That would be instructive and helpful.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are just a few snippets . The NLT1 will be at the top , and the NLT2 below .

Acts 13:48 : all who were appointed to eternal life
    all who were chosen for eternal life

Romans 3:25 : for God sent Jesus to take the punishment for our sins and to satisfy God's anger against us .
    For God presented Jesus as the sacrifice for sin .

2 Cor. 10:5 : With these weapons we break down every proud argument
    we destroy every proud obstacle

Still in 2 Cor. 10:5 : we conquer their rebellious ideas
    we capture their rebellious thoughts

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And a few more . ( NLT1 at the top )

2 Peter 1:16 ... the power of our Lord Jesus and His coming again
    ... the powerful coming of our Lord Jesus Christ

Rev. 13:8 ... the Lamb who was killed before the world was made
    ... the Lamb who was slaughtered

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bump for the benefit of TCG .

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Thanks, Rippon.

7. Lions84

Lions84 New Member

I use it from time to time for devotional reading and I used it one year at Christmas. The children seemed to way more attentive then when I have used the KJV or other Modern Translations.

8. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Yes! I use a year-around reading Bible - one that breaks up the Bible so it can be read in a year - NLT.

Though when it comes to reading for children, the NIrV is great for younger ones (New International Reading Version). It was written with a limited set of words - 1000, while keeping sentences short and avoiding religious or theological terms. It's written in plain language.

And when you talk about a free translation which just plain reads so well and is pretty accurate to boot... try the JB Phillips - I think it's only available online. Here's Romans 12:1,2...

Romans 12:1,2 With eyes wide open to the mercies of God, I beg you, my brothers, as an act of intelligent worship, to give him your bodies, as a living sacrifice, consecrated to him and acceptable by him. Don't let the world around you squeeze you into its own mould, but let God re-mould your minds from within, so that you may prove in practice that the plan of God for you is good, meets all his demands and moves towards the goal of true maturity.

Now is that cool or what?

FA

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Faith Alone, I have found New Versions and Paraphrases to be a breath of fresh air.

10. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

TC,

Yeah, and so many seem to think that a wooden, more "word-for-word" translation is more accurate... Well, some are more accurate than some more free translations, but the very nature of translation requires a high degree of idiomatic translation IOT consistently translate the meaning. We're not just translating words, but phrases and sentences in context. I think having both types at your finger-tips is a must.

FA

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Personally, I use the NASB as my first choice, but I readily consult the other versions.

2. I use the NASB because I make points from connectives and so on. But when there's a better rendering that I've discovered that is reflected in another version, I use that version.

3. So my hands are not tied to one version.

12. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that is cool. I also like Tyndale's rendition of the verses in his 1534 NT.

Romans 12:1-2
    I beseech you therefore brethren, by the mercifulness of God, that ye make your bodies a quick sacrifice holy and acceptable to God which is your reasonable serving of God. And fashion not yourselves like unto this world: But be ye changed in your shape, by the renewing of your wits that ye may feel what thing that good, that acceptable, and perfect will of God is.

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I've been comparing the 1996 edition with the 2004 edition of the NLT, and I must say I'm appropriately impress with the improvements.

2. The NLTse should either be your second or third Bible. It's that good. :thumbs:

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. I'm picking one up to read through next year (already did the NLT1996). I'm trying to read through a different translation each year.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. What version are reading next?

2. Here's an example of the changes in the NLT2004 from 1996:

a. NLT1996: "to make her holy and clean, washed by baptism and God's word." (Ephesians 5:26)--supports baptismal regeneration.

b. NLT2004: "to make her holy and clean, washed by the cleansing of God’s word." Agrees with John 15:3 and so on.

16. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    May I say that this has been a very thoughtful and informative thread. Thanks for the good read.

Tom

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The NLTse. I'm currently doing the HCSB. I've read throught the first edition of the NLT and loved it (it's now my "car Bible"). Can't wait to read through the second edition.

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I've heard a lot about the HCSB. What is it like? Replace the NLT96 with the second edition. Well, I guess you'd do that when you're done.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I like it (my favorite version to date). It's called "optimal equivalence", blending formal and dynamic equivalence. Check out the archives here by doing a search of HCSB. There has been a lot of informative discussion on it.

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Ok, good approach on translation. I'll have to check out the archives.