1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your Translation of Choice

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by alexander284, Apr 16, 2005.

?
  1. KJV

47.5%
  2. NKJV

11.9%
  3. NIV

18.6%
  4. NASU

1.7%
  5. NLT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. NCV

15.3%
  7. ESV

5.1%
  8. HCSB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. GNT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Overall, which translation do you use most for your personal study/devotions of the scriptures?

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot vote because I use several translations...the NASV, KJV, NKJV, NIV, AV 1611, and Geneva, to name a few.

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I will use only the KJV. I have several. Oxford, Cambridge, World, Nelson, Church, are all publishers and not editions.

In HIS service;
    Jim

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I also use a number, favouring the NKJV and the Living Bible.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NIV, mostly (so I voted for it), but I also use the NASB quite frequently.

6. mioque

mioque New Member

None of the above.
    Currently I use the NBV most.

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Mostly the NKJV, though I use others as well.

8. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also use several, but I use the KJV (1769) the most.

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mostly NASB and NIV with a smattering of KJV, NRSV and The Message.

I find this mix covers the pros and cons of the literal-dynamic-paraphrase spectrum while also covering the conservative-liberal spectrum.

NASB, KJV and NRSV for detailed word level studies. NIV and The Message for more casual reading.

10. west

west New Member

The last year or two I have been using the ESV and HCSB .

11. David J

David J New Member

NASB (1995) is my preferred bible but I also use the Geneva 1599, 1611 KJV, 1769 KJV worn out Oxford [​IMG] , KJ21, and NKJV.

I also like the ESV and HCSB.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I wish you had allowed us to choose more than one and had included more translations, like the NET Bible. So I couldn't vote.

I use the NET Bible primarily and sometimes look at others like the NKJV, NASB, and NIV.

13. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the NET Bible? :confused:

14. mioque

mioque New Member

Just to answer the question before it is asked.
    http://www.christiantoday.com/news/min/173.htm

The new translation, De Nieuwe Bijbelvertaling (NBV), is in fact the first official translation to be published since 1951. The Netherlands Bible Society and the Flanders Bible Society hope that it will become the standard version for the entire Dutch-speaking region in Europe.
    Even though Dutch is not one of the more commonly spoken European languages, it is expected to benefit some 22 million people in Europe - 16 million in the Netherlands and six million in Flanders. Apart from the Netherlands and Belgium, Dutch is also an official language for Suriname, the Netherlands Antilles, South Africa and Namibia.

To ensure a high accuracy, sample editions of selected books were offered to the public, to universities and to a specially selected team of reviewer-proofreaders, including many Flemish.

The marketing campaign was carefully planned to publicise the unique Dutch Bible. First of all, an official presentation to Queen Beatrix in the De Doelen concert hall, Rotterdam, was held on October 27. The Belgian Cardinal Daneels was invited as the keynote speaker, therefore bringing wide media coverage.

Two days later there was a launch in Antwerp for the Belgian market. The Bishop of Antwerp and the six representatives of the churches in Belgium were presented with copies of the new translation at a thanksgiving ceremony in Antwerp cathedral. Eight hundred people attended the service.

Additionally, in the first two weeks of November, the NBV Bible was being exhibited at the annual Antwerp Bookfair, and the demand for information about the NBV there was high. The event became more meaningful as Antwerp was in fact one of Western Europe's acknowledged centres of Bible printing in the sixteenth century along with Geneva.

15. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Sorry could not vote because the NRSV is not on the list [​IMG]

David

16. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

I voted for the ESV. I also use the HCSB eventhough I am a little disapointed with Holman for pulling their translation off of e-Sword!
    I used to use the NASB and NIV. But this is the 21st century we should use 21st century translations. [​IMG]

17. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    ESV and NET.

About the NET:

"The NET Bible (New English Translation) is a completely new translation of the Bible, not a revision or an update of a previous English version. It is being completed by more than twenty biblical scholars who are working directly from the best currently available Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek texts. The translation project originally started as an attempt to provide an electronic version of a modern translation for electronic distribution over the Internet and on CD-Rom. Anyone anywhere in the world with an Internet connection will be able to use and print out the NET Bible without cost for personal study. In addition, anyone who wants to share the Bible with others can print unlimited copies and give them away free to others."

There are more than 60,000 translator's notes, probably the most attractive feature of the translation. (That and the price: $29.5 for a leather-bound copy.)

LINK TO NET BIBLE

18. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    I apologize for not including the NRSV.

I did not think to include it because of it's "gender neutral language." ;)

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What is the NET Bible? :confused: </font>[/QUOTE]The NET Bible is the New English Translation. It has lots of footnotes on the grammar and transalation issues as well as some historical notes. It is something that those who know Hebrew and Greek would appreciate the most, but even for those of us who do not know Hebrew or Greek, it is very helpful. For example, they will discuss a certain word or passage that has a disputed translation, give the views and resources on it, and then explain why they are translating it the way they are doing it.

The whole NET bible is online -- footnotes and all -- here:
    http://netbible.bible.org/

I like the way it reads better than the NASB.

You can't buy this bible in a bookstore but you can order it from them either online or by phone. I got their Beta edition about 2 yrs. ago and it was only $30.

Go online and check out some passages and the footnotes and you'll see what it's like.

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I apologize for not including the NRSV.

I did not think to include it because of it's "gender neutral language." ;)
    </font>[/QUOTE]But there are some people here who use that. It would be good to do a poll listing pretty much all the translations out there that you know of.
    I can't recall if you had the TNIV on there, but that should be included as well.

After all, if you're asking, you should want to know what people are using, even if it's a version you don't like. Right?