1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your view on abortion

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Mar 29, 2008.

?
  1. Abortion is wrong.

65 vote(s)
    84.4%
  2. Abortion is wrong only after 3 months.

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Abortion is wrong only after six months.

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  4. Abortion is wrong only if the one carrying the baby thinks it is wrong.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. There is nothing wrong with abortion.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other answer

10 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. MaryKay

MaryKay New Member

Abortion is wrong.

2. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Abortion is legalized murder.

3. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Abortion is murder. Last I checked the Bible still says murder is a sin. :wavey:

4. D28guy

D28guy New Member

I voted "wrong", but really none of the options were strong enough.

The United States of America has legalised murder...but only if it is a baby being murdered.

In discussion with people, when it comes up, I consistantly refer the clinics as "baby extermination centers".

Sadly,

Mike

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm not sure what nature knows, and if it isn't scriptural, who cares. My granddaughter was full term, and has been nothing but sick for her 2 1/2 years of life. So nature might be a mixed up, or prehaps your interpetation of it is.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

I guess when it comes to murdering children I'm pretty closed minded too.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Abortion is murder unless it is to save the mother, then it turns from taking an innocent life to saving someone's life through the death of another, which is not murder.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

LOL, really. What woman worth being anyone's mother would murder her own child? No way. Under any circumstances, anywhere, my life verses my childs life, no theres no way mine is more valuable, no way mine should be chosen over theirs. I'd be one sorry human being. This is the height of selfishness, and self contriteness. We did a lot of sacrificing when our kids were young, even missed meals, and to think any one would chose their life or themselves over their child is sickening. Sadly we see is all over the place now, as abortion rates, child abuse and child murder rise, and american continues to spit on God with our new set or morals where murder children is alright.

9. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

:thumbs:

10. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Ah, but you probably will before you die...

I believe that those who believe in abortion should be euthenized to set the record straight...Then we'll all be happy.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm talking about if the Dr. comes to me and says my wife will die or the baby will die. My wife is my help meet. We are one flesh according to God. I have 2 other children to think about, also. They need their mother. I would place my unborn child into God's hand in that given situation. It's hardly a selfish situation, as there is no winner in any decision you make. I realize a mother would sacrifice themselves for their child...so would a father...but it would be a decison that I would have to make, not my wife. I would be perfectly comfortable making that decision, as it is NOT murder.

12. standingfirminChrist

But is it your choice to take the life of that child that God has also given you?

Children are an heritage of the Lord and the fruit of the womb is His reward.

Life for life? Did He not give that innocent child for a reason? Surely He did not give it to you just so you could destroy it?

13. Joe

Joe New Member

With all due resepct, this reasoning and your conclusions do not make sense to me. I think you are referring to webdog's post. Most of us who are against abortion will bend in extreme circumstances.
    "A woman worth being anyone's mother" as you say,would take all matters into account regarding all of her children, not just the unborn in her stomach.
    Example- At 8 weeks, Doc says there is something very wrong with the baby (fetus) it looks deformed and likely won't live to full term because of other issus. In this situation, the mother's life is also at risk by just carrying the baby to full term.
    This lady is a mother to 3 other kids, and there lives would be horrific without her alive to take care of them. This is just one example.

Like I said, I would be careful to say under any circumstances. Our son just turned 17 and will begin College this summer but let's say he was younger. No way would any fetus life inside my wife's tummy be more important than our current son's life if push came to shove. Our son is the most important thing in our lives. He needs his mother, and I need my wife. Neither of us can live without her.
    To save the mother's life in some instances is the opposite of selfish. Again, our living children mean everthing to us, our immediate family and extended family.
    We were poor also for a while yet stopped having intercourse which causes pregnancy which results in poverty. When we found out the birth control pills didn't work on my wife (she got pregnant once and miscarried) we quit having intercourse for some years until I got a vasectomy. Even then, we planned it out to avoid fertile days as nothing is 100%.
    After this accidental pregnancy and her miscarriage, we agreed we would never place ourselves in a situation where we would need to decide one human life over the other.
    Agreed, abortion needs to be stopped. If I could vote against it, I certainly would.
    On another note, Sue made stated that the women she knew who were told they would die giving birth are still alive. I bet this is the norm, and very few women die during childbirth. My point is it's hard to say you would do this or that under any circumstance.

#33 Joe, Apr 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2008
  14. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

So he should let his wife die instead so that his existing children (including the new one) would have no mother? I believe that this is the one time when sacrificing the unborn child is the easier choice to make. Just as killing in time of war or in self-defense or the defense of another is justified, I believe that the death of the unborn child is justified when it's absolutely certain that the mother will die if she continues to carry the child.

15. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

Having been through exactly what you discribe, I can say without a doubt that to save the life of my wife was the right decision. Understand, I believe abortion for the sake of convienence is wrong. What I decided was not a sin, it was saving my wife.

It is real easy to make judgments and proclamations of right and wrong from the cheap seats. But sit in that Doctors office with me. Let it be your spouse that is going to die. If you truly put yourself in my place, I find it hard to beleve anyone would make a different decision.

I pray that folks are able to stay in those cheap seats and NEVER have to make the decision I did.

16. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

(bold type is mine)

Even though I do not think I was wrong, the decision was far from easy

17. standingfirminChrist

Maybe God wants you to put it in His hands.

As Donna said, it is for nothing more than selfish reasons that one would choose to kill an unborn child. Regardless whether the mother had living children already in the world or not, God has given a new life for a reason. To choose the mother over the child for any reason is a selfish act.

If God brings you to it, He will see you through it. If He chooses to call the mother home, it is His choosing. He chose to give you a child, allow Him to carry out that which He did believing that He will take care of any need whatsoever.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

I would hope that you could extend enough grace in that situation to understand what a horrific choice that is.

A couple in our church had to make this exact choice (actually the husband faced the choice). His wife suffered profound complications, and she was in a coma. The doctor's prognosis: The baby has an extremely slim chance. If your baby goes to term, it is overwhelmingly likely that your wife will not survive.

Now....how often does that happen....one in every million births or so? So we're discussing an extrodinarily rare event. But......you cannot put this in the same league as elective abortion, or even a "your baby is deformed" abortion. This is one life versus another, and I think you owe it to a committed believer to extend grace when this utterly impossible choice is in play.

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

This post is devoid of grace and understanding.

When you are in a "two lives are at stake, and you can save one by doing something.....or lose both by doing nothing" type of decision, the last thing needed is someone coming along and assuming they understand a decision they couldn't possibly understand.

Please do not construe this to be for abortion at all. But there have been many, many occasions in which a person is forced into action to save another....and there is not time or resources to save everyone.

Most godly mothers would sacrifice themselves for their kids. If my wife and I, God forbid, ever faced that situation, I am sure that my wife would choose to die so kiddo could live. But if my wife could not make that decision...and it was in my hands......there are many, many variables to weigh.

Abortion would be the absolute last option. If there were any reasonable chance to save both, we would move heaven and earth to do so.

But if it were ironclad, one or the other.....I'm not about to beat someone up for that terrible decision to be made....and I'm not going to call their decision sinful, because it's not murder. It's the forced decision of choosing which person would live, and only one could be saved.

SFIC, show some grace, man.

20. standingfirminChrist

I have much understanding on the subject. Much more than you could ever know.

As I said, God gives that life for a reason. And it is not just for man to make a selfish decision to snuff it out as if it never mattered.

Whatever happened to placing things in God's hand? Job, in his trials, made the statement "Though God slay me, yet will I trust Him.'

Oh that men and women of God would trust God enough to say "Not my will, but Thine O God."

Abortion is murder... forced or otherwise.

#40 standingfirminChrist, Apr 8, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2008