1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Your views on Christian Rap, Rock and Christian metal???

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Jul 28, 2006.

1. rooster25

rooster25 New Member

i cant get enough of the old stuff,,,stryper ,petra ,whitecross,deliverance.............james I have friends just like you but I love them anyway.....and stryper is highly talented ..much better than the crap you listened to(janes addiction)

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

We can argue all day about who plays better rock than who, but lstening to old hymns never causes me to say things like that. But I appreciate that you are tolerant of your friends who don't choose to partake.

3. rooster25

rooster25 New Member

do the hymns cause u to be judgemental :) the hynms were contemporary once too..I love the hymns
    psalms 150

later rusty

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Did you just judge me to be judgmental? :rolleyes:

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

ya'll be nice...or I'll start singing old-timey hymns to the CCM crowd, and some Stryper to the hymn-loving crowd!

:tongue3:

6. rooster25

rooster25 New Member

I never said judging was wrong ..and yes I did judge you....have a good one...see yall tommorow

later rusty

7. nate

nate New Member

Has anyone listened much to Dogwood? I just discovered them and must say I'm impressed I like the fact their different from a lot of other bands. Anyway if you haven't please check em out.

8. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Whitecross are amazing. I love this 80ies metal and what I also like is the poser solo track on every album. :thumbs:
    But I'm not satisfied with the christian music scene as it is right now. Right now I feel like most of the new christian bands are hardcore bands which all sound more or less the same. I don't know why that is. Maybe they aren't talented enough to play anything besides this hardcore stuff but it's really annoying. And what I also don't think is good is how people behave at christian hardcore concerts. I have seen videos of Norma Jean in concert and the teenagers there were freaking out. They weren't just moshing, they did this violent dancing, where the people beat into the air and also do high kicks. It doesn't only look totally ridiculous it's also dangerous. People can get hurt. I think that such a behavior is not okay and it shouldn't happen at christian concerts.
    I think we need more high quality bands which are a little bit more inventive and have a more modern sound. "Drop of Red" is a great band for example or "decyfer down" is also not bad. At the moment I prefer a more new metalish sound compared to classic metal.

http://www.myspace.com/dropofred

http://www.purevolume.com/decyferdown

http://www.myspace.com/skilletmusic (check out the new song "rebirthing")

http://www.myspace.com/thousandfootkrutch

http://www.myspace.com/fallingup

For fans of epic metal:

http://www.theocracymusic.com/discography.php

9. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

To me, whether a song is for entertainment or worship is in the lyrics, not the style of the music. If the words are written in a vertical style, that is, they are directed to God from the worshipper, and they are not just about God, then the purpose of the song is worship. Some music can be used for discipleship as well.

I hear criticism of contemporary styles of music as being "shallow" or "light" in their content. There is some of that, but there is a whole lot of contemporary styled music that is quite deep. My wife and I are raising our younger brothers, ages 17 and two 16 year olds, and they play in the praise band at church. Their understanding and the depth of what they know about their relationship with the Lord has definitely been affected in a positive way by their extensive knowledge of lyrics of perhaps 60 different choruses and songs. Probably three fourths of these songs are arrangements of words from scripture, or are direct scriptural principles and teachings.

Southern Gospel and four part harmony hymns have their purpose and their audience to reach. I'm glad to see the Spirit is inspiring people where they are, and leading them to translate the gospel into the dozens of musical cultures that make up each community today, so that it is an advantage rather than a hindrance to sharing the gospel.

Jesus once told his disciples, who had attempted to stop some believers from preaching because they were not part of the inner circle, that "Anyone who is not against us is for us." I think that should be our attitude toward people who express their love for Christ in worship in a musical style with which they are comfortable.

10. nate

nate New Member

I agree that is where the Christian scene has been heading lately. But I don't mind this because I like the harder stuff.

It may be somewhat easier to play the harder stuff but as a beginning guitarist I don't think this means the bands are less talented but rather unfortunatly the Christian music industry follows the Secular industry. Which is annoying.

I agree with you completely. Though one point may be Norma Jean has been playing to some Secular audiences. But we can have fun without hurting people and doing stupid stunts.

That's cool I love Nu-Metal. Especially playing in the Drop D which allows for awesome power cords.

11. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Wow xdisciplex that amazing the first three bands you linked to I get to see Aug. 24,25 and 26 at Downpour Fest. in Greatfalls MT. It's gonna rock.

Drop of Red
    Skillet
    Decyfer Down
    Building 429
    Pivitplex
    Seventh Day Slumber
    33 Miles
    Identity

it's going to be awesome. Identity is a cool new band: www.identityband.com.

#51 DeclareHim, Aug 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2006
  12. nate

nate New Member

See you there!

13. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

@ nate

I also love New Metal. Dropped D rules. It allows really cool stuff which you could play any other way. I think one advantage which new metal and also industrial metal has over classic metal is that the songs are more interesting. There are new metal songs or also industrial metal songs which I could listen to all day. But there are also metal songs which you hear like 2 times and they already start to annoy you. For example the last Pillar album was a huge disappointment. The guitar always sounded the same and the songs started to bore me pretty fast. I'm really into this modern sound which also include programming and effects. I wish there were more christian bands out there. It's not so much about having really complex songs, the sound is much more important. I like it when the song has depth and when it's spheric. And what's also really important is the drums. Take the latest Disciple album for example. The drums are totally weak. They're not heavy and don't have a full sound. It's a pity that many christian bands have a weak production. The production plays a huge role. If the sound isn't right then even the best songs don't sound good anymore. Right now I'm anxiously expecting the new album from "These five down". They have released 1 album so far which was pretty good. This album is 6 years old. They had a great sound and their singer sounded a lot like Davis from Korn. Their new album "friction" is coming out on September 15th. I hope it's gonna be good. And I also hope that Brian Welch is going to release his album in the near future and of course I hope that it's good. :smilewinkgrin:

14. gekko

gekko New Member

can't wait for skillet's new album to come out!!

15. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

No way they'll top Collide, though; that was their masterpiece.

16. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

how do you want to know this? do you even know their new song "rebirthing"?
    It's great.

17. nate

nate New Member

Agreed completely.

The songs are more interesting and I think the new metal has grown up so ta speak over the old metal. I couldn't stand to much of that glam metal. No thx. I don't want to see some dude in tight leather pants. :tongue3: I think new metal is more grown up and mature. Even though many would argue that point.

Another point upon which we agree. 'Where do we go from here' was a waste of $14 bucks. I don't understand why bands shrink back from the new metal image. Bands like TFK, Pillar aren't rapping anymore cause IMO they simply don't want to be labeled under the 'new metal' category. 'Fireproof' was a pretty good album.

I wished there was a Christian band that sounded like Linkin Park. They have catchy synth sounds to start the song off and then give you the power the guitar riffs. Their songs are definetly spheric.

This was one of the biggest surprises in my life. The fact that Disciple could go from 'Back Again' a totally cool album to their latest? I liked the new one ok but comon it didn't sound much like the disciple on Back Again.

I think a lot of it has to do with producers. I don't think the Christian bands have the same experience that secular bands get with their producers. The only two major producers I could name would be Aaron Sprinkle up at Tooth and Nail and Skidd Mills at Ardent records. Indeed pity.

I have never listened to them. I'll definetly check em out.

I'm looking forward to this album as well. I think it has a lot of potential.

#57 nate, Aug 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2006
  18. gekko

gekko New Member

and what's his name... brown bannister, can't remember who's he with.
    tobyMac and others from gotee records
    eddie degarmo

the few that i know...

19. gekko

gekko New Member

charlie peacock too. just remembered. :D