1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Youth Conference

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Preacher Boy88, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Preacher Boy88

Preacher Boy88 New Member

Last week was youth conference at First Baptist Church of Hammond and Hyles-Anderson College. Did anybody go? Have any comments about it?

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Yes, my husband and daughter went along with our youth group. We had a group of 52 attend from our church.

They had a wonderful time! The teenagers came back with some very good decisions having been made.

One highlight was their use of the guards of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The committments those soldiers make are truly incredible in light of our current society. They must pledge to never cuss again for the rest of their life, and never drink any alcohol again, in order to qualify for the guard duty of the Tomb. At the Youth Conference they used the military's committment to detail and quality in this area to point out how much more we as Christians ought to be willing to dedicate ourselves totally to Christ and to set ourselves apart for God's glory.

My husband said it was well done. The invitations were NOT emotionalistic and pressuring......since I know many of ya'all are thinking that. :smilewinkgrin: He said that in fact they did all they could to discourage "meaningless" coming forward.

We have "naysayers" in our church, too, and our pastor pointed out that instead of automatically thinking that these teens were insincere, we ought to encourage them to keep up any decision they made and do all we can to help them keep any promise they made.

We had one girl in particular who several years ago had dedicated her life to Christ and had committed to going to Bible college. But through the last few years her family had discouraged her in that decision. She actually had an aunt who was going to pay for her entire college education as long as it was NOT Bible college. Her mother wants her to go that route, too. But at the youth conference this gal recommitted to going to Bible college next year, because she finally gave up and let God have His way. Please pray for her, as she is still meeting resistance at home and it will be discouraging for her.

All in all my daughter made some good decisions. This is her first time ever going to a youth conference as this is her first summer in the youth group. She loved it!