1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Youth For Christ

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Mar 10, 2009.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do you (or your church) support Youth for Christ? Just wondering. We attended the annual fundraising banquet last evening. Great evening of worship and fellowship & hearing what positive things are going on with them and their mission.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Syracuse had a Youth for Christ years ago, but it faded out.

I attended a pastors meeting today, and the subject was YOUTH ALIVE. Most of the churches in the area, use that program. I dont know much about it, but it did sound good.

For Youth for Christ click this link

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I have spoken at several Youth for Christ conferences. I think they vary according to who is in charge in that area.

So in some cases, you might disagree with what they promote or the way they do things. It would be good to find out what they do at their youth rallies.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My husband and I met through Youth For Christ/Campus Life way back in the day (1979). :) He ended up as my Campus Life club leader - and then we were interested in each other but couldn't date until I got out of CL. The day after I graduated, we started dating and we were married 2 years later. Good stuff, that Youth for Christ. LOL!

But our church does not support them. We have kind of a different take on missions and we try to raise up our missionaries from the inside and give them their full support so they don't need to go around raising funds. We do have a number of missionaries who we have supported over the years who were not brought on this way and we've only paid partial support but generally, we like to support individuals rather than organizations. But that doesn't mean that we don't support them in prayer and any other physical needs they may have, but we just don't support them financially (I know many in our congregation do though.)

5. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

No wonder you like YFC! :laugh:

6. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

The Miami YFC is pretty amazing. They have some great programs like Campus Life clubs in middle & high schools, after school homework clubs, juvenile justice programs and even a hip hop ministry (not my thing, but...). Their vision statement has remained the same throughout the years -- "to see every young person in Miami become a follower of Jesus Christ and become part of a local church." Last year, over 1,000 teens made a profession of faith. Really cool to see how God is working.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This sounds good, but not all YFCs do the same thing. I think they must be somewhat independent of each other in how to apply the ministry in their areas.

8. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

I guess so. This is my only experience with YFC, so I really wouldn't know about the others. Here is the web site -- http://miamiyfc.org. My guess is that a lot of it has to do with the leadership & the board of directors. I personally know several of the board members and they all have a passion for Christ & for teens.