1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zondervan NAS Study Bible/ NIV Notes?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by hawg_427, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I had rae that the Zondervan NASB study Bible has NIV study notes in it. Why would the publisher set it up this way? I do like the way they have each verse starting with a new verse number though.

2. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct. Zondervan has published the same study bible using three different versions, NIV, KJV, and NASB.

Actually this is nothing new since many study bibles are available in multiple versions. For an example, The Scofiled Study Bible is available in the KJV, NKJV, NASB, NIV and ESV.

3. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

What I meant was that it was aNASB version with NIV study notes in it.

4. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are just a set of notes that happened to be published as the NIV Study Bible way back in 1988. I am not aware of any "NIV Specific" study notes pertaining to any verse that would make them only useful with the NIV and consequently unusable in any other version.

Do you have any specifics that you have found?

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Life Application Bible does the same thing with different versions.

6. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

OK, I now understand the notes thing. Thanks everyone.

7. Nomad

Nomad New Member

As I understand it, the notes for the original NIV Study Bible were written by the translators of the NIV (e.g., Leon Morris was the main translator for the Gospel of John and also did the notes for that book), so they were "NIV specific," but have been subsequently adapted to other translations. The TNIV is also available with the same notes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.