1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zondervan, TNIV, and NIV

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by TomVols, May 21, 2003.

?
  1. I am pleased they are releasing the TNIV and applaud their decision to do so.

72.0%
  2. I am upset that they are releasing the TNIV, against their word.

28.0%
  3. Other, no comment, not applicable. (If other, please post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

How has the planned release, then withdrawl, then release of the TNIV affected your view of Zondervan and/or the NIV Bible?

2. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I voted OTHER for question #1, "With regards to Zondervan........." Personally, I am neither pleased nor displeased with them. I do believe that the reputation of Zondervan is in question in regards to their releasing the TNIV, but more importanly I question the need for the TNIV - at least in the way that they did it.

I have purchased a copy of the TNIV New Testament and have read through the gospel of John as well as a few epistles. It definitely reads well, but I have not compared it verse-by-verse to another translation to see where the problems may or may not be.

Given all of the uproar surrounding its release, I doubt it will ever be a serious translation among evangelical/conservative/fundamental circles. Along with the fact that other translations have come on the scene at the same time: ESV and the HCSB, I really don't think it can compete.

Thanks for reading my 2 cents worth! [​IMG]

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use the TNIV and rather like it. Especially the gender inclusive language.

4. martyr

martyr New Member

I haven't done enough research to know much about the new TNIV, but I hope they have kept true to form of professional translation.
    I remember doing some research once and finding out that the KJV translators would add a masculine pronoun where the original didn't have one.

5. moeowo

moeowo New Member

I had downloaded it from the web right before it came out in book form. It's an ok version. I don't completly agree with all the changes in it but nothing that was change would change doctrine anyway. I still would recommend it. I still prefer the regular 'ole NIV. [​IMG]

6. Bugman

Bugman New Member

For # 2 I picked "I use it the same now as I did before the announcement of the TNIV release" But
    I never use the NIV to start with :D

Bryan

7. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

The TNIV has been the best argument for formal equivalence that I know of. In fact, I would not be surprised to see people forsake the use of the NIV simply because the logical result of the philosophy has been produced.

I never agreed with the philosophy of the NIV to begin with. It is nothing more than a commentary. The TNIV is a commentary that appeals to liberals and feminists.

Just stick with the NKJV, NASB, and ESV.

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I never was a huge fan of the NIV, and the TNIV has done nothing to make me like the NIV either more or less. In older versions I prefer the Geneva and KJV. In more modern versions I prefer the NKJV, the NASB, and the ESV. I have been impressed by the HCSB. I stay away from all the paraphrases (NLT, TEV, etc.). I am likely to stay with these versions.