1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zoom meetings

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found this question on FB:

Does anyone allow members to Zoom in for business meetings? If so, does the church allow them to have a vote, opinion, share reports, etc?

In this day and age - sounds like an excellent question

Open for Discussion

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you going to do virtual church, might as well do virtual business.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and you do, should those on zoom be allowed to vote, talk,ect

4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    During the pandemic, when the governor did not allow for face-to-face meeting we had deacons and church council meetings via zoom. We did not, over that time, vote on anything, but we met. Our by-laws would have to be changed to allow for online attendance and voting.
    Since the governor no longer has restrictions, we now meet in person again.
    We still have the zoom account and we have an online men's Bible study that has been meeting every week for over a year.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we had a special meeting. The zoom vote was by a monitored raise of hands.

6. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All the above.

7. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We started our church due to the supposed Covid restrictions.

we don’t zoom

we don’t even live stream

8. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From our bylaws"

SECTION 6.08---VIRTUAL MEETINGS Should any circumstance require, the pastor (or chairman of the deacons if the office of pastor is vacant) may choose to hold any annual, regular, or special meeting through virtual means (including, but not limited to, video conferencing and/or telephonic methods). The chosen means of holding the meeting can vary depending on need and availability but must provide for simultaneous aural communication of all participants at all times.

The pastor (or chairman of the deacons if the office of pastor is vacant) retains the exclusive right to authorize virtual attendance at any annual, regular, or special meeting as needed. Virtual attendance is not automatically permitted at annual, regular, or special meetings unless specifically authorized.

If a virtual meeting is authorized, notice of said virtual meeting will be sent via email to all members not less than ten (10) days prior to the meeting date. This notice will include not only the date and time of the meeting, but the method via which the meeting will be held and any information necessary for every member to virtually attend and participate.

If the virtual meeting is held, each member will be solely responsible to obtain the necessary equipment and technology to participate in the virtual meeting, including, but not limited to, a stable internet connection. If a member fails to keep a stable internet connection to the virtual meeting for any reason that is not in the control of the church, if a member fails to provide a current email address for notice, or if a member fails to obtain all that is needed for their virtual access to meetings, then said failure(s) acts as a voluntary forfeit of the member’s right to participate in any fashion in the virtual meeting, including the forfeiting of voting privileges.

Virtual meetings will be held to the same rules of procedure set forth for in-person meetings in Article 6, including the rules for quorum and the authority of the moderator (including the ability to exclude any member present from the virtual meeting who is deemed by the moderator to be disruptive for any reason). No recording of any type of any virtual meeting is allowed without express written consent from the pastor (or chairman of the deacons if the office of pastor is vacant) except for the official recording by the Church Clerk for the purposes of keeping accurate records. All virtual meetings are to be attended by members only, unless a nonmember is specifically invited by the pastor (or chairman of the deacons if the office of pastor is vacant).

• Like Like x 2
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Couple of questions -
    1) How long has this been in your Constitution?
    2a) Is there a reason non-members are not permitted to attend via virtual,
    2b) Are non- members permitted to attend in-person meetings?
    3) Why the prohibition on making a copy of the meeting?

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you expound on that?

Was there some kind of church split?
    If so - what % of members came along?

Would you church have started had it not be for the C-virus

11. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bylaws were passed in May of last year as we left the UMC. Non members are not allowed to attend virtual meetings nor do we allow them to be in in person meetings. The prohibition is because we don't want a situation where someone's video could get out without consent.

12. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    . Prob not

one family/couple is about to be disinvited.

They have been visiting the Kingdom Hall and are apostatizing seemingly

#12 Marooncat79, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  13. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a serious note, I don't agree with either.
    Virtual for the elderly etc is one thing, but the virtual shutdown nonsense was wrong.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont know If I fully agree with the copy of the video, but I understand it bit - (of course - personal actions might be one thing)

BUT if I was a prospective member - I would want to attend a business meeting before joining....

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That I understand -! but that is on a case by case basis.

16. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I actually don't know of a church that lets non members attend business meetings.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have only attended one such church - and that was changed shortly after my visit (new pastor had just arrived) - and over the years - I have been a member of over 2 dozen churches - I was military - moved quite often and after I ETS - I was pastor of several churches.

Also at that same church - women were not allowed in the business meetings - thus they could not vote either --Which also was changer shortly after the new pastor arrived.

18. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting bc I've been a part of quite a few churches and I have never had one where non-members came to the meetings. I would actually question why someone wouldn't be a member but would come to the meeting in the first place.