BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist Board.com Archives (read only) > 2000-02 Archive

2000-02 Archive 2000-2002 Archive.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 11-11-2002, 12:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Angie Miller
Smile

Who serves Communion in your Church and how often does your church offer it?
After I get some feed back I would like to share what our church does and get your thoughts on it. Thanks, Love in Christ Angie [img]graemlins/love2.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2002, 12:11 AM
20,000 Posts Club

Deacons, quarterly.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:40 AM
4,000 Posts Club

Hello Angie,

When you say "who serves" communion, do you mean who prepares the plates of communion waffers and fills the little cups with grape juice, or do you mean who stands at the front of the church with the pastor and then takes the plates and moves them from pew to pew?

Anyway, at my church the deacons prepare the plates and fill the cups. Then they stand with the pastor and take the plates to the pews and move the plates from one pew to the next. However, I guess if you want to be "technical" the person sitting next to me actually "serves" the communion elements to me because they hold the plates while I pick up the elements. Then I do the same for the person sitting on the other side of me.

Oh yeah, we have a commuinon service once per quarter. Although, I would not mind it if we observed the Lord's Supper more often.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:02 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bob
Cool

As Pastor, I oversee the distribution and readings. The elders (5-6 men) serve it; the deacons prepare the elements.

We have it first Sunday each month, and every Sunday in Advent as well as Palm Sunday, Good Friday and Easter (no matter which Sunday of the month they fall on).

Unique at my present church - trays have rings of glasses and a plate with matzoh in the center, so it is just one passing of elements. I've never had it/seen it and I've preached in a gajillion churches over the past 35+ years.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:12 AM

We do communion weekly. One of the clergy serves as the Celebrant (consecrating the elements) and then either clergy or deacons serve.

The congregation comes forward to receive communion, and we use wine on the pulpit side and grape juice on the lectern. We rotate communion liturgies, although the one from the Book of Common Prayer is my favorite by far.

Joshua

[ November 11, 2002, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: Rev. Joshua ]
Old 11-11-2002, 05:08 AM
Banned

Communion in our church is celebrated weekly, usually in the morning except on the 4th sunday of the month when it is in the evening. It is served by differing members of the church in rotation
yours, Jon.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:03 AM
4,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev. Joshua:
We do communion weekly. One of the clergy serves as the Celebrant (consecrating the elements) and then either clergy or deacons serve.

The congregation comes forward to receive communion, and we use wine on the pulpit side and grape juice on the lectern. We rotate communion liturgies, although the one from the Book of Common Prayer is my favorite by far.

Joshua
Hello Joshua,

The terms you used and the method that you have outlined above sound very much like Roman Catholicism or at very least Anglican. Are you sure that you serve in a Baptist church?

[ November 11, 2002, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: BibleboyII ]
Old 11-11-2002, 06:08 AM
5,000 Posts Club

The deacons prepare the plates and fill the cups. Previously selected members (including deacons) of the congregation stand with the pastor (and an assistant, who may be a deacon, an intern, or a visiting missionary). The selected members take the plates to the pews.
We serve communion one a month, usually on the first Sunday.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:19 AM
8,000 Posts Club

The Pentecostal Church I was in had a weekly communion, Served by the Elders. It consisted of small plastic cups of grape juice and broken up crackers.

Seventh Day Baptists can take communion in any way a congregation feels led. Some have weekly communion and others have communion once a year on the Jewish Passover. There is a line of thinking that suggests that Jesus did away with the passover and replaced it with communion.

I think it is likely that the Deacons in the Early church organised the communion and also took it to the sick who were not able to be there for it.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BibleboyII:
The terms you used and the method that you have outlined above sound very much like Roman Catholicism or at very least Anglican. Are you sure that you serve in a Baptist church?
Positive BibleBoy. We're very high church, so our worship has a very Anglican "flavor" to it, but we are definitely baptist. It was at a baptist seminary (Mercer) that I learned how to plan a liturgical worship service.

Joshua