BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist FELLOWSHIP Forums (Baptist Only) > Baptist Colleges / Seminaries

Baptist Colleges / Seminaries Discuss Baptist colleges/seminaries here

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 10-09-2005, 12:00 AM

WOULD ANYONE RECOMMEND COVINGTON THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY, AS A GOOD DISTANT LEARNING SCHOOL? I WENT TO THE WEB SITE, BUT IT DIDNT HAVE A LOT OF DETAILED INFORMATION. ANYONE HEARD ANY POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT THE SCHOOL AND THEIR PROGRAM?
Old 10-09-2005, 01:29 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bob
No. And please type in lower case letters.

I understand problems with vision, but it is not good internet protocol. Thanks.

www.sovereigngracechurch.com
www.grif.net

"Why do bad things happen to good people?
That only happened once, and He volunteered
."
Old 10-09-2005, 08:16 AM

Covington would be in a similar boat as Andersonville, both to be avoided because of big holes. There are too many good options. Folks who know no better often go study with these schools, not understanding the fact that the faculties are not qualified and the institutions as a whole are inadequate. Please look elsewhere.

Bill
Old 10-09-2005, 08:20 AM
5,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Broadus:
Covington would be in a similar boat as Andersonville, both to be avoided because of big holes. There are too many good options. Folks who know no better often go study with these schools, not understanding the fact that the faculties are not qualified and the institutions as a whole are inadequate. Please look elsewhere.

Bill
Amen!
Old 10-09-2005, 12:02 PM
1,000 Posts Club

Would someone explain to me what draws honest, studious Christians to such schools as Covington instead of to the many, many credible schools which now offer degrees through Distance Education? Is it tuition cost or what?

---

Paul 1611: I am (or was before retirement) sort of bivocational. I taught educationally or emotionally handicapped public, secondary school children for 35 years. [Coincidentally I studied my true love , Christian Theology]

Now, in order to teach those children, I had to show myself to be academically competent. I had to complete -besides the work for an accredited BA in English- two teaching certificates: one from the Univ of San Diego and one from Oregon State. This took altogether about six years of full time study, and after being credentialled I taught from 1969 through 2004. But what does this have to do with Covington and schools like it?

Simply this: Most Baptists do not believe that God pours into seminary professors heads magically all they need to know to teach! We do not think that profs are inspired as was Paul. Therefore, we think that Profs must go to credible schools to learn about what it is they wish to teach.

Think about it: If one must be so prepared by completing certificates in credible schools to teach Junior High disabled kids English and Social Studies, then why should not professors in seminaries not also be prepared by acquiring advanced degrees in the areas they teach from truly credible institutions?

Let me give you an easily used measure by which to initially evaluate on your own seminaries or Bible colleges in which you are interested: Look at the academic qualifications of the faculty! Are their higher degrees from truly credible schools? (and credible usually means accredited)

Do the professors of undergrad studies at said school at least have an ACCREDITED master's degree in the area in which they teach? Do the profs who teach grad studies have an ACCREDITED doc in the area in which they teach? IF the facultry is NOT academically qualified, then that is a red flag!

Of course this requires that you understand accreditation: schools which gives profs degrees in order to be credible most usually must be accredited by an accreditor approved by CHEA or the US Dept of Education. If the school is "foreign," then it should be approved by the governmental equivalent of our Dept of Ed.

Now, please look at the faculty of Covington, and please apply that test to it.

The truth of the matter is that Covington, like most of the millish schools, does not have a qualified faculty.

"Oh,", someone will reply," but we are not of the world." Of course, BUT, we are IN the world , and regularly we use the world's resources. Or do you drive your car on a highway owned and paved by Christians only?

The point is, even Christian accreditors as TRACS say that profs need to have accredited degrees.

Oh, well, I blather on as usual. PLEASE, Brother, do not "go" to Covingington.

Bill

[ October 09, 2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: UZThD ]
Old 10-09-2005, 03:57 PM
5,000 Posts Club

posted by UZThD:
Would someone explain to me what draws honest, studious Christians to such schools as Covington instead of to the many, many credible schools which now offer degrees through Distance Education? Is it tuition cost or what?

==I think there are several factors. (1) General ignorance of academic standards (etc). They believe if it is approved by the state to offer degrees or if the school is run by Christians and offers a Bible program than that makes it ok. They are also mislead by false accreditation claims. (2) Tution costs. Many of these type schools are very cheap and look great to those who are on a low budget. Combine the first two and you have a very dangerous combo. (3) Convenience. These schools offer degrees, from Associate to Doctor, totally via distance learning. No campus requirements, no proctor requirments, nothing that could be viewed as a inconvenience. (4) These schools are not as academically demanding as a Liberty, Southern, or Trinity Evangelical. So a person who does not believe they could handle a program at one of the established schools will attend a Covington in order to avoid difficult courses (etc). Many of these people could, of course, do the work at the established schools. However for some reason they have convinced themselves that they can't.

Some will say that God called them to attend a school like Covington. While I respect the belief they have I have some serious theological concerns with that. God does not call His people to second best! Don't forget that we are "God's masterpiece" (Eph 2:10) and He wants the best for us. If God has called a person to attend a seminary or graduate school He will provide the resources. While I personally can't relate I know of many people who, while attending Dallas or Southeastern, literally saw God provide the needed resources right on time (in the most unexpected of ways). If God has called someone God will provide. I have heard Charles Stanley say something that has impacted my life greatly. What is that? Obey God and leave all the consequences to Him. That is sound Biblical advice. So there is no reason for a child of God, who God has called, to attend a second rate school. None whatsoever! There are great, Godly, schools out there that provide solid Bible based programs on campus / on line / distance education. I think of Luther Rice (undergrad & grad) , Southern Evangelical Seminary and Bible College (undergrad & grad) , Moody Bible Institute (undergrad & limited grad) , Liberty University and Liberty Theological Seminary (undergrad, grad, post grad). Not only that schools like Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary offer large portions of certain degrees online or at extension centers. Southeastern has even arranged their schedule of courses to fit in with people's busy lives. So there is no reason to attend a less than good school. If God has called God will provide.

Btw Bill the advice you give is great. People will do will to heed such advice.

In Christ,
Martin.
---
Old 10-09-2005, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul1611:
WOULD ANYONE RECOMMEND COVINGTON THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY, AS A GOOD DISTANT LEARNING SCHOOL? I WENT TO THE WEB SITE, BUT IT DIDNT HAVE A LOT OF DETAILED INFORMATION. ANYONE HEARD ANY POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT THE SCHOOL AND THEIR PROGRAM?
I liked it and would consider it again, but my choices were severely limited. Covington met three of the things I was looking for: 1. It is run by Baptists; 2. They offered degrees in the area of Church Music/Music Ministry, and; 3. It could all be done by distance. As I looked for schools meeting such qualifications, I could not find any. Since I graduated from Covington, I have found another couple of schools that, had I known about them at the time, might have been higher on my list thatn Covington. In face, I am looking at the possibility of enrolling in one of the in the near future.

So when I say I would consider them again, I might or might not enroll again. But I would have to consider them as a school that met the conditions I stated above.

[ October 09, 2005, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: poodle78 ]
Old 10-09-2005, 05:51 PM
1,000 Posts Club

Good answers Martin , and I feel the same about the advice you give.

I wonder if this forum would not do well to have a series of helpful articles about accreditation, distance education and the like.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Banned

Bill must be feeling a little better now adays ... I guess we could conclude that is an answer to prayer and good surgeons ...
Old 10-09-2005, 06:36 PM
1,000 Posts Club

El-G

Yes. I feel OK. Thanks very much for your prayers. Recovery has its good points. I haven't had such attention from my wife for years [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bill

BA,ThB, Linda Vista Baptist
Teaching credentials: Univ San Diego (LA); Oregon State(Spec Ed)
MAR, Point Loma Nazarene
M Div (equiv) & Th.M., Western Seminary
D.Th., Unizul.
Faculty, M.Th & Ph.D. Supervisor, South African Theological Seminary www.satsonline.org