BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > General Baptist Discussions

General Baptist Discussions Baptist topics that don't fit in the forums below

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 04-27-2007, 03:27 PM
1,000 Posts Club

I dont know?

Certanly God knows when we are going to die. But does he pick the day and time?

If that is so then we can not die any other day and time then the one he picks. And we can not avoid death on that day and time.

So why do we wear seat belts in our cars and put our kids into car seats? Why use safety equipment ment to avoid death? Why avoid activities likely to cause death?

I dont know what I think. This is an interesting topic.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:00 PM
4,000 Posts Club

God makes many promises which I believe He will keep.

(Eph 6:1)
Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
(Eph 6:2) Honor thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;
(Eph 6:3) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
• Free will is defined as “volition” and this sustains the meaning that man has the ability to consciously choose; one cannot do both, have this ability and not have this ability in any logical sense. If man's response is determined by causal means to have an irresistible effect on the man then man's volition logically becomes void. ~Benjamin

www.BaptistSymposium.Com
Old 04-27-2007, 05:44 PM
20,000 Posts Club

To say that God "determines" the day would indicate that those who are murdered are done so because God ordered it. This line of thinking by default means the woman was raped on a certain date because God ordered it, the satanist sacrifices a baby on a certain date because God ordered it, etc. When dealing with time, this gets very sticky. We know God is omnipresent (omnitemporal). His permissive will, omniscience and omnipresence coincide perfectly, something we don't understand completely.

"Let us reason together" says the Lord.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Banned

On that subject, the Bible states clearly that Christ was foreordained to be crucified, yet that does not absolve those who killed Him of responsibility for their actions. There is a conundrum here we probably can't answer from our so-limited point of view.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:42 PM
1,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by amity
On that subject, the Bible states clearly that Christ was foreordained to be crucified, yet that does not absolve those who killed Him of responsibility for their actions. There is a conundrum here we probably can't answer from our so-limited point of view.
Maybe God did not make them kill Him. He only put Him into a situation where he knew they would. That still make them responsable for their actions.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Banned

I agree. That is how foreordination works, I think.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:41 AM

I believe God knew the moment you'd die before you were born.

Ecclesiastes 7:17 Be not over much wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time?

"Before thy time" indicates to me that our time is predetermined by God. Leading a life fearing the Lord will give you all He had planned for you but leading a life of wickedness will shorten your days according to the Lord.

Proverbs 10:27 ¶The fear of the LORD prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:13 PM
1,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious
"Before thy time" indicates to me that our time is predetermined by God. Leading a life fearing the Lord will give you all He had planned for you but leading a life of wickedness will shorten your days according to the Lord.
If God picked the day and time you will die before you were even born. How could anything you do change that day and time.

Maybe "before thy time" means your normal life span. That life span would be shortened if you live a wicked life.

I think the verses that show that a life span can be shortened by our actions also show that God does not set a day and time of death. However he does know when that day and time will be.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Banned

I don't know if we have a specific time to die or not, but according to scripture we do have a life span, but it can be lengthened or shortened, either by other men or our own lives according to how we live.

Psa 90:10 The days of our years [are] threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength [they be] fourscore years, yet [is] their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

1Ki 3:14 And if thou wilt walk in my ways, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as thy father David did walk, then I will lengthen thy days.

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Exd 20:12 ¶ Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Deu 25:15 [But] thou shalt have a perfect and just weight, a perfect and just measure shalt thou have: that thy days may be lengthened in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

2Ki 20:6 And I will add unto thy days fifteen years; and I will deliver thee and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria; and I will defend this city for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake

Pro 9:11 For by me thy days shall be multiplied, and the years of thy life shall be increased.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:58 PM
1,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Bob
I don't know if we have a specific time to die or not, but according to scripture we do have a life span, but it can be lengthened or shortened, either by other men or our own lives according to how we live.
The fact that our life span can be adjusted depending on our actions mean that we do NOT have a set day and time to die? Or am I missing something?