BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist FELLOWSHIP Forums (Baptist Only) > Pastoral Ministries

Pastoral Ministries Talk about the joys and struggles of ministry.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 06-04-2005, 03:50 PM

I was reading another thread and thought I would be more specific with another question along the same line. Could any ordained ministers give some examples of the questions you were asked by your council.

For any of those that have been on a council, what questions did you ask?

In Christ,

Brooks
Old 06-04-2005, 04:51 PM
Banned

Brooks,

Focus upon Salvation, calling, Scripture, and the particular Baptist distinctives of your denomination (or association) ...

God Bless,

Wayne
Old 06-04-2005, 09:17 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Brother. Do you think they will ask about different positions such as pretib, dispensationalism vs. covenent theology, etc.?????
Old 06-04-2005, 11:42 PM
3,000 Posts Club

Have they given you no clue about the questions they will ask?

Ours usually give a copy of the questions tothe candidate well before the ordination.

It shouldn't be a pop quiz with people trying to stump you.

It should be about serious theological views and your well-studied beliefs about certain aspects of scripture.

A man is worried enough about the impending responsibilities being placed on his shoulders without also feeling as if he has to cram the whole bible in preparation for his cumulative final exam.

I hope they will at least give you time to study, if they don't before, the questions with scripture once they are asked.

Has a date been set?
Old 06-05-2005, 12:35 AM

Hey Brother James,

No date has been set. My pastor will put one together soon. I'm being licensed next week, then he will start working on the ordination council. I used to be licensed in another denomination a while back until coming back to my Baptist roots. I know I probably will not be ordained until I get my first official ministry but my resumes are all over the place. God may have something in store for me soon.

I know it works differently from church to church but there is probably some common ground. Do you know if I would be allowed to invite a specific minister to be on my council? Just wondering.

IN Christ,

Brooks
Old 06-05-2005, 07:22 AM
1,000 Posts Club

I have organnised a few ordination councils. Usually what I do is choose a council of twelve men. Six I choose, and six the candidate will choose. The council includes one or two deacons from our church.

The candidate is asked to shgare his testimony of salvation and call to the ministry.

The line of questioning follows the subject headings in our Articles of Faith. However practical questions relevent to the ministry may also come up which are not covered by the Article, such as marriage, divorce and remarriage or he may be asked about child rearing etc.

I always caution the council members about splitting hairs and remind them that the candidate cannot be expected to agree with them about everything, but as long as he has a Scripturally based argument we should agree to disagree on the minor issues.

Personally I would be surprised if the issue of dispensationalism vs. covenant theology did not come up.

Hope this helps,

David.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:37 PM

Thanks David. I did not know deacons sat on ordination councils. I've never heard that.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:02 PM
4,000 Posts Club

Arrow

Untangled, it is a very common thing in my area of the south for deacons to be part of a presbytery or ordination council. Some churches are moving away from the practice of ordaining deacons and therefore also from them being on a presbytery.

As far as questions, the "standard" ones here are to ask for the candidate to give their experience of grace and call to the ministry, followed by questions on their beliefs on the Godhead, creation, virgin birth, the Bible, inspiration, crucifixion, resurrection, church, baptism, etc. Sometimes folks will get into questions on the millennium or such like. Seems also to be fairly standard for the church to grant requests of the candidate (such as a specific minister/ministers) if they can do so.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:08 PM

Both deacons & pastors were involved in my ordination.

Anyone seen the line of questions that John MacArthur has in the back of one of his books (I think it is his pastoral "guidebook" he has in a series with preaching & counseling)? He gives some questions that he usues at his Masters Seminary. Wow!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:21 AM
2,000 Posts Club

There were both deacons and pastors on my ordination council. Some I had requested and some the minister who organized the council selected. We did not have 12. I think 8 or 9 at the most.

Have you prepared a statement of faith? I had a written prepared statement of faith that followed the format of the Baptist Faith and Message for my council. That not only forced me to document what I believed ahead of time but it also gave me a great resource during the questioning. Questions relating to articles of faith were pretty easy to handle because I had considered and prepared for them.

What was more difficult were practical questions about marriage, divorce, remarriage, child rearing, and finances. Of course all the controversial issues we face in churches today came up (I was only ordained in 2002), women deacons, contemporary music, versions of the Bible, speaking in tongues, homosexuality, and politics.

You want some specific questions?
Quote:
What do you believe about the gift of tongues?
How would you go about sharing the gospel with someone in a homosexual lifestyle?
What requirements would you place on remarriage of divorced people?
Would you participate in the ordination of a woman deacon or minister?
Here are two questions that were part of every council I have ever known about:
Quote:
If I were lost and came to you how would you explain the plan of salvation to me and lead me to Christ?
If this council recommends against your ordination what will you do?
Overall my council was a great experience. Some of the men had known me over 30 years while others met me that night. Several, I have remained close to and when I have questions in ministry I have been able to turn to them for help and advice since then.