BaptistBoard.com  
     

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container
 
Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Christian DEBATE Forums (All Christians) > News / Current Events

News / Current Events Stay informed and keep others informed.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-31-2009, 06:49 AM
Magnetic Poles's Avatar
Magnetic Poles Magnetic Poles is online now
10,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 10,378
Default Feed the Children scandal

This one truly dissapoints me. Larry Jones, ejected head of "Feed the Children" is accused of bribe taking, kickbacks, and hiding porn at the charity he founded.

CLICK HERE
__________________


From every mountainside, let freedom ring.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-31-2009, 06:55 AM
Bob Alkire Bob Alkire is offline
3,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 3,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic Poles View Post
This one truly dissapoints me. Larry Jones, ejected head of "Feed the Children" is accused of bribe taking, kickbacks, and hiding porn at the charity he founded.

CLICK HERE
If I recall correctly, he had problems with this about 10 to 15 or so years ago, too. I didn't read your deal because I've know of his problems for years.
__________________
Homeward Bound
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-31-2009, 03:18 PM
billwald billwald is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Everett, WA USA
Posts: 11,414
Default

All these feed/adopt do-gooder programs . . . I know some of them have been around for 50 years, going on 3 generations in 3rd world countries. There must be some success stories but absolutely none of them claim that Joe Whomever was helped or adopted 20 or 30 years ago and now he is doing fine.

Same with "Habitat." Newer but around long enough that many participants should have been to pull themselves off of welfare, get a better job, whatever. Never hear any success stories.

Many of these programs have been around long enough that they should be self-sustaining by now. These people only take and never give?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-31-2009, 05:00 PM
SaggyWoman SaggyWoman is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Belmont, America (NC)
Posts: 17,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwald View Post
Many of these programs have been around long enough that they should be self-sustaining by now. These people only take and never give?
Do we help because we want to hear the success stories or because we want to do what is right and what is good? Sometimes we never hear the story.

I currently work in the foster care system and in the past years ago, I have worked in a church sponsored children's home. I have seen "success" in both scenarios, but it takes time.
__________________
You are the God of this city; You are the King of this people; You are the Lord of this nation; You are. You are the light in this darkness; You are the hope to the hopeless. You are the peace to the restless. You are. There is no one like our God. There is no one like our God. Greater things are yet to come. Greater things are still to be done. In this City. We believe in you, God.


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-31-2009, 05:15 PM
preachinjesus preachinjesus is offline
6,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA...somewhere along the edges
Posts: 6,684
Default

Sad, there are so many charlatans out there. Too many wolves amongst our sheep.

As a rule we don't give to any charity that isn't affliated with a proper oversight and auditting firm...like the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-31-2009, 07:42 PM
just-want-peace just-want-peace is offline
4,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: S. C.
Posts: 4,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaggyWoman View Post
Do we help because we want to hear the success stories or because we want to do what is right and what is good? Sometimes we never hear the story.

I currently work in the foster care system and in the past years ago, I have worked in a church sponsored children's home. I have seen "success" in both scenarios, but it takes time.
Bolded mine

How true!! Basically, except for a few locals, the GOOD that happens, especially in the Christian community, never gets press coverage; and with the liberal bent of the media, probably never will.
__________________
LIBERALISM IS A FATAL DISEASE!!!! (WHICH SHOULD BE OBVIOUS TO ALL BY NOW)

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Salty's Avatar
Salty Salty is offline
5,000 Posts Club - Formerly SaltCityBaptist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: http://www.wunderground.com/US/NY/Kirkville.html
Posts: 18,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwald View Post

... Same with "Habitat." Newer but around long enough that many participants should have been to pull themselves off of welfare, get a better job, whatever. Never hear any success stories. ...
I'm not that familiar with Habitat - but I understand the the recipient actually buys the house - interest free and is required to help out on other Habitat houses

Salty
__________________
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
George S. Patton

"The ... reality... today is that people are dying and going to Hell"
- Bob Jones III

WHEN YOU REMAIN SILENT YOU HAVE SPOKEN

There's nothing more refreshing ... the preacher saying "Open your Bible to"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Jim1999's Avatar
Jim1999 Jim1999 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,462
Default

My big question of charities is how much of donated monies goes to administration and advertising costs? That will determine whether I give or not.

I prefer hands-on giving. I give money every month directly to a missionary couple. Their mission knows about it and approves, but I do not receive a receipt for tax deductions.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
The most important part of any prayer is not what we say to God. It is what God says to us. We are most likely to pray and then rush off before God speaks.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-01-2010, 04:36 PM
JohnDeereFan JohnDeereFan is offline
3,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Georgetown, Md
Posts: 3,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by preachinjesus View Post
Sad, there are so many charlatans out there. Too many wolves amongst our sheep.

As a rule we don't give to any charity that isn't affliated with a proper oversight and auditting firm...like the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability.
With very few exceptions, we won't give to charities that aren't affiliated with a reputable church or para-church ministry, or have the kind of oversight you describe.
__________________
I stand with Israel.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-01-2010, 04:38 PM
JohnDeereFan JohnDeereFan is offline
3,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Georgetown, Md
Posts: 3,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1999 View Post
My big question of charities is how much of donated monies goes to administration and advertising costs? That will determine whether I give or not.
Yeah, having been a social worker and seen how charities work up close, overhead and admin costs are a big concern for me.

I prefer charities that are, as we say in the South, "close to the ground".
__________________
I stand with Israel.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.


The Fundamental Top 500   The Best Baptist Web Sites at Baptist411.com  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Copyright: Wrestling Clique Wrestling Forum
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
 

Christian Web Hosting for BaptistBoard.com is provided by BaptistHost.net