BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > General Baptist Discussions

General Baptist Discussions Baptist topics that don't fit in the forums below

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
I never thought Baptists were pantheistic "God is everywhere and in everything"!

Fine, next church meeting will be held at the garbage dump. Everyone ok with that?
One of our missionaries holds open air meetings at the garbage dump during the warm months. And I'll tell you what, they are some of the best church services!
Old 01-27-2010, 01:04 AM
20,000 Posts Club

spinach, is that like I saw on tv once, people liivng in the garbage dump, actually build their 'homes' out of bags of garbage and other scavenged items, like boards and maybe roofing, they live off garbage?
off topic I know, but just wanted to know.
so when these people worship are they not reverencing God because they aren't in a fancy building wearing finery? no, I think it's church, and it's worship wherever christians have to meet, even in a garbage dump, or a mud hole, were 2 or 3 are He promised to be there. Building or not.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:12 AM

Yes. They move to the dump during the warm months and collect scrap metal. Their kids run and play there, too. And they LOVE the church! They hold services regularly under a shade tree. When the Pastor is not there, they still meet for hymns and prayer. Lovely, lovely people!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:12 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnA View Post
God's house is His people, not a building.
Only men care about how well others are dressed, God does not, God sees the heart and knows clothes do not make one reverant, nor does wearing the 'right, reverant looking' clothes make one reverant. It's a heart issue, not a clothing issue. No wonder we have a hard time getting poor people into church, people like on this thread keep telling them church is for those they deem to be rich and who can afford the 'right, reverant looking' clothes. What kind of message is that, we don't want you if you aren't wearing fancy clothes, God doesn't want you if you aren't wearing fancy clothes, you can't come worship at our.... blah blah
I agree with your sentiments there, but you have never been to our church. How do I know? Because you didn't see what we do every Sunday bringing people in vans, cars and buses from straight off the street. Most ofthe group I preach wear whatever, so don't cloud your mind with prejudices and premature judgements
Old 01-27-2010, 04:43 AM

God commands the proper public decorum in Christian worship, and clothes are definitely part of that decorum. The clothes one wears is a reflection of his attitude.

A lot of nonsense about the poor is being spouted simply to justify an irreverent attitude toward the Gospel. Sheesh, even when claiming to support them you're exploiting them.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnA View Post
no, your just going to tell epople they aren't reverancing God and you are. and if they want to reverance God they have to dress up, and if they can't, then oh well, they just refuse to reverance God.
You did it again! You changed the meaning of what I said to suit your anger and obstinance. I never said "THEY HAVE TO DRESS UP" - I said " I feel that the occasion calls for an upgrade in appearance and behavior. Likewise, going to church calls for special dress and special behavior. Just the privilege and the opportunity and the freedom to worship in church is a very special thing indeed, not to mention the Almighty God who demands our best. " (that is cut and pasted from my message)

I don't hear anything rude or abrasive in that comment. Why do you insist upon being rude and abrasive to me? Do you NOT know how to talk nice to a fellow born-again Christian? I have been called a liar, I have been ridiculed, I have been personally attacked throughout several threads, and all because I believe that my seperation from worldliness has led to different preferences than you and a few others have been led to.

I will pray for you, that is the way I was taught to get over hurt and anger....and I will do it again and again. We have people from all walks of life in our church, we bus in the trailer park kids, and we have many other outreaches to the poor and the needy. I don't force anything on them, I teach those kids in vacation Bible School in the summertime, I play piano at church, I sing in the choir and in ensembles, I help in the baking ministry, I help clean and straighten the music library....I do whatever I can to serve the Lord. I pass out tracts whenever I have the chance, I pray for whoever needs prayer, including this great nation that is slipping farther and farther away from God's will.

Please don't personally attack me anymore.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:42 AM
7,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
God commands the proper public decorum in Christian worship, and clothes are definitely part of that decorum. The clothes one wears is a reflection of his attitude.

A lot of nonsense about the poor is being spouted simply to justify an irreverent attitude toward the Gospel. Sheesh, even when claiming to support them you're exploiting them.
Got Scripture?
There is a difference between taking on the whole armor of God and encasing your mind and heart in concrete. Be open to the possibility that what you have held as doctrine for so long, may be incorrect. Should you be led to a change of heart and mind, repent.

My faith does not depend upon my having a perfect Bible translation, it depends upon having a perfect Savior to translate ME!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:51 AM
7,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorbett View Post
You did it again! You changed the meaning of what I said to suit your anger and obstinance. I never said "THEY HAVE TO DRESS UP" - I said " I feel that the occasion calls for an upgrade in appearance and behavior. Likewise, going to church calls for special dress and special behavior. Just the privilege and the opportunity and the freedom to worship in church is a very special thing indeed, not to mention the Almighty God who demands our best. " (that is cut and pasted from my message)
The obstinacy seems to run both ways, IMHO. To take your 'feelings' and make them the rule for another Christian's life shows a lack of grace. And if I were to go to your church without the proper decorum, it would probably upset you.

I think there's a whole book in the NT that addresses this issue.
There is a difference between taking on the whole armor of God and encasing your mind and heart in concrete. Be open to the possibility that what you have held as doctrine for so long, may be incorrect. Should you be led to a change of heart and mind, repent.

My faith does not depend upon my having a perfect Bible translation, it depends upon having a perfect Savior to translate ME!

Last edited by Mexdeaf; 01-27-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

James 2:1-13
(1) My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism.
(2) Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in.
(3) If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet,"
(4) have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?
(5) Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?
(6) But you have insulted the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court?
(7) Are they not the ones who are slandering the noble name of him to whom you belong?
(8) If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right.
(9) But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers.
(10) For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
(11) For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.
(12) Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom,
(13) because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Banned

Tiny Tim and Mexdeaf, who ever said Dcorbett, I or anyone else here has said we put nicer dressed people in special seats and push the poorly dressed to the side? You two remind me of my Catholic great aunt, she was always quick to bash somebody over the head. The both of you and some others have been very irreverent towards the Lord's body known as the church. A real lack of maturity I might add. Hope to see better from you soon and will be praying for you.
Closed Thread