BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Christian DEBATE Forums (All Christians) > Other Christian Denominations

Other Christian Denominations Debate other denominations' doctrines/beliefs here.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:23 AM
8,000 Posts Club

Default James White Vs. Bart Ehrman

I was reading Alpha Omega's transcripts to the debate between Dr James White Vs. Bart Ehrman. And I wonder what people thought of this debate or if anyone witnessed it to give an overall impression of their views. I haven't completed reading the whole transcript but it seems that Dr. White has only a half objection to the 9 different points Erhman pointed out. Thoughts about this debate?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:20 AM
4,000 Posts Club

Never heard of Ehrman, but looking him up, it seems he is a kind of textual critic who believes the Church changed the Bible somehow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_D._Ehrman
Old 03-09-2010, 09:24 AM
8,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
Never heard of Ehrman, but looking him up, it seems he is a kind of textual critic who believes the Church changed the Bible somehow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_D._Ehrman
He was one of Bruce Metzger's Top Students with regard to textual critism. He claims to have been born agian in his early 20's then became agnostic as he got into studying scriptures. He's writen several books. Misquoting Jesus, God's problem, and Jesus interupted are a few. He was invited to debate Dr. White with Alpha Omega ministries. I'm reading the transcripts and at times it looked tenuous with Dr. White.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:01 PM
5,000 Posts Club

Erhman's a brilliant teacher.

There are a couple of his lectures on YouTube.
He had a great education.
He's worked with some of the best, most renouned scholars.
He's even pastored a church.

Sadly somewhere in his walk,he lost his faith.

I picked up one of his books (used) called "God's Problem" where he describes his tragic tale.

Rob
"If people put their faith in either a text or in a particular, modern method of reading a text, their faith is misplaced. People should be better educated theologically to realize that the Christian reading of scripture must be learned and practiced as an activity of faith in God, with assurance of the Holy Spirit will not lead us to perdition if we read in faith and with love as our guide and goal."
The Reliability of the New Testament: Bart Ehrman and Daniel Wallace in Dialogue, p.92-93
Old 03-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned

Bart Erhman gives his reason of why he once was a born-again evangelical and pastored a Baptist church and eventually left Christianity on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aw51zojnQA
Old 03-09-2010, 05:21 PM
15,000 Posts Club

Listening to Ehrman on some other talks I find that he is a product of German Rationalism's thinking that many dispensationalists have bought into. If he had done his homework and been challenged by other he would have come up quite different. I find his wordss to be slanted toward his own biases and does not address men like Moises Silva.

One who knows God cannot deny Him.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:29 PM
3,000 Posts Club

For $6 you can listen to the entire debate:

http://www.aomin.org/catalog/product...2844b0eba043df
Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 PM
10,000 Posts Club

About 3 or 4 yrs. ago, I saw Bart Ehrman in a debate/discussion at SE Baptist Seminary with two profs from SE Baptist Seminary and Dr. Norman Geisler. Ehrman has bought into a lot of flawed criticism of the Bible, that was soundly refuted by others, especially by Dr. Geisler.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:48 PM
10,000 Posts Club

Here on YouTube, you can watch for free a 2 hr. 12 min. debate on the resurrection of Jesus between William Lane Craig (whom I've met) and Bart Ehrman.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhT4I...eature=related

Enjoy!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 PM
25,000 Posts Club

Bart Ehrman debated a friend of mine at the close of one of his classes at Chappel Hill where he is head of the philosophy and religion department. Ehrman is a very skilled agnostic - good at dodging points that do not fall his way - and bringing up his own list of points that cannot be answered in a 3 minute side step. He certainly knows how to "play the audience" - I will give that to him.

in Christ,

Bob