BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > General Baptist Discussions

General Baptist Discussions Baptist topics that don't fit in the forums below

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 PM

Default Elevation Church - Charlotte, NC

My son visited Elevation Church in Charlotte, NC with some of his friends so I visited one of their campuses on Sunday morning to check it out. The remote campus is very well organized and the pastor's sermon was fine though I am not especially fond of watching it on a big screen. I have little knowledge of the church except that its growth rate is incredible. Its statement of beliefs is sound.

Is there anyone here with first-hand knowledge or experience in this church?

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:23 AM
5,000 Posts Club - Formerly SaltCityBaptist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodisGreat View Post
... The remote campus is very well organized and the pastor's sermon was fine though I am not especially fond of watching it on a big screen. I have little knowledge of the church except that its growth rate is incredible. Its statement of beliefs is sound.

I have never been there, so I cant directly answer your question, but any "church" that does not have an on-campus pastor is not a true local church.

"The ... reality... today is that people are dying and going to Hell"
- Bob Jones III

WHEN YOU REMAIN SILENT YOU HAVE SPOKEN

There's nothing more refreshing ... the preacher saying "Open your Bible to"
Old 05-24-2012, 07:12 AM

They absolutely do have a full-time campus pastor, and a production person, and part-time pastor for children. It is only the sermon message that is on the screens. Campus pastor makes announcements in person, worship music is in person, and the sermon message is usually delivered by Steven Furtick via streaming video to large screens. The production is top rate so it is not distracting or anything. I do understand that some people will not like it but it is not wrong.

I do wonder if the members view each other as family.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 AM
3,000 Posts Club

If I were ever in the Charlotte area again [Salty will probably be there for the Dumbacratic Convention this summer! ], I'd probably check out out the Northside BC instead.
--Lamentations 3:21-23
Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 AM
1,000 Posts Club

My son and his wife attend a "satellite" Elevation church which meets at a local high school on Sundays. They are running about 125-150 in attendance. I have listened to the pastor, on videos, and have looked at their beliefs, which I can't find any fault with. My son was raised in an independent Baptist church and is well grounded in the faith, so he knows when he hears something not Scriptural. The only "knock' I would have is that the services seem to be geared more for younger Christians, music style, dress, etc.

They are looking for an "onsite" pastor as we speak. That is the goal of the Elevation church. They start with the video sermons, and hope to eventually have their own pastor.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:03 AM
4,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I have never been there, so I cant directly answer your question, but any "church" that does not have an on-campus pastor is not a true local church.
So in countries where a man has 7-8 churches that he does on a circuit, they are not a true local church?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptist4life View Post
They are looking for an "onsite" pastor as we speak. That is the goal of the Elevation church. They start with the video sermons, and hope to eventually have their own pastor.
Just to be clear, the onsite or campus pastor still does not do the sermons except for very rare occasions. I inquirted and was told there are no plans to ever change that as it is core to their structure. They are sometimes referred to as “the pastor on the ground” who takes care of his campus and does weddings, funerals, training, etc.

I suppose you are thinking of one of the churches outside of Charlotte that just uses their video but not really an Elevation Church campus. There is only one campus meeting at a school and that is the original campus at Providence High School. They list Josh Blackson as the campus pastor there, and they average about 900 in attendance each Sunday. It is at capacity so there are many more attending the nearby campuses at Matthews and Blakeney where they own the buildings. They have over 10,000 attenders each weekend at all the campuses combined.

Last edited by GodisGreat; 05-24-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 AM
6,000 Posts Club

Quote:
it's a good church. Steve Furtick is a really good communicator and the church is really growing, primarily through conversions I believe. They have done a great job of creating a meaningful environment for 20s and 30s to connect with a church.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:47 AM
1,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Just to be clear, the onsite or campus pastor still does not do the sermons except for very rare occasions. I inquirted and was told there are no plans to ever change that as it is core to their structure. They are sometimes referred to as “the pastor on the ground” who takes care of his campus and does weddings, funerals, training, etc.

I suppose you are thinking of one of the churches outside of Charlotte that just uses their video but not really an Elevation Church campus. There is only one campus meeting at a school and that is the original campus at Providence High School. They list Josh Blackson as the campus pastor there, and they average about 900 in attendance each Sunday. It is at capacity so there are many more attending the nearby campuses at Matthews and Blakeney where they own the buildings. They have over 10,000 attenders each weekend at all the campuses combined.
The Elevation church my son attends is in Ohio.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the opinion preachinjesus. It does seem that much of the bad feelings toward Elevation among other local churches is that over half of their attenders have come from other nearby churches rather than from the unchurched but that is not unusual. From what I have seen, it will attract many youngsters from older churches singing from hymnals.