BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > Bible Versions/Translations

Bible Versions/Translations Comparing & Contrasting Bible Versions & Translations

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 08-02-2013, 06:31 PM

Default Verse by verse or paragraph

Which do you prefer verse by verse or paragraph ? I have a really hard time with the paragraph bibles just can't seem to find my place when looking for the verse number! I don't mind the paragraph bible if I 'am just reading but for study or following along with someone I just seem to get lost.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:34 PM
10,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeben View Post
Which do you prefer verse by verse or paragraph ? I have a really hard time with the paragraph bibles just can't seem to find my place when looking for the verse number! I don't mind the paragraph bible if I 'am just reading but for study or following along with someone I just seem to get lost.
Paragraphs absolutely. It shows the context so much better rather the artificial segmenting of individual verse units. The latter may be ideally suited for Proverbs,but not the rest of the canon.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:38 PM
8,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeben View Post
Paragraphical for personal study, verse by verse for preaching.
Whether God has decreed all things that ever come to pass or not, all that own the being of a God, own that He knows all things beforehand. Now, it is self-evident that if He knows all things beforehand, He either doth approve of them or doth not approve of them; that is, He either is willing they should be, or He is not willing they should be. But to will that they should be is to decree them. - Jonathan Edwards.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:43 PM

I prefer paragraph.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:10 AM
1,000 Posts Club

Verse by verse! Hate "paragraphs". Just my personal preference however. NOTHING wrong with paragraphs if you like that, although, it does seem to make finding verses much harder. I might use a paragraph Bible if they'd make the verse numbers larger and easier to find. I'm just an older person who is used to verse by verse, set in my ways.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Verse by verse or paragraph

Since verse divisions have no grammatical purpose and no rhyme or reason for their divisions. Paragraphs. You would think that versification would at least not divide a sentence up. Lots of "verse" proof texts would have never appeared if some one hadn't done them. They definitely do not rightly divide the word of truth.
Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. To the one we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the other the aroma of life leading to life.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:55 AM
7,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovereignMercy View Post
Since verse divisions have no grammatical purpose and no rhyme or reason for their divisions. Paragraphs. You would think that versification would at least not divide a sentence up. Lots of "verse" proof texts would have never appeared if some one hadn't done them. They definitely do not rightly divide the word of truth.
This is so true. I like how some of the newer translations actually bump the endings of some chapters to the beginning of the next chapter. It makes the continuity of thought much clearer.
There is a difference between taking on the whole armor of God and encasing your mind and heart in concrete. Be open to the possibility that what you have held as doctrine for so long, may be incorrect. Should you be led to a change of heart and mind, repent.

My faith does not depend upon my having a perfect Bible translation, it depends upon having a perfect Savior to translate ME!
Old 08-03-2013, 02:34 PM
10,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptist4life View Post
NOTHING wrong with paragraphs if you like that, although, it does seem to make finding verses much harder.
Verses are still numbered in translations which use paragraphs.

Quote:
I'm just an older person who is used to verse by verse, set in my ways.
You called yourself an older person years ago. Some of your "set ways" need amending perhaps.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:36 PM
10,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdeaf View Post
I like how some of the newer translations actually bump the endings of some chapters to the beginning of the next chapter. It makes the continuity of thought much clearer.
I agree. It was said that the reason for the chapter divisions were that the person doing it was on horseback --kind of a herky-jerky thing.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:37 PM
10,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovereignMercy View Post
You are right on target.