1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Essential truth of Landmarkism preserves the gospel

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by The Biblicist, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul though uses that word to denote either us as Indiviual Christias, or in colective sense, contex matters!

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The collective is applied here only to a LOCAL VISIBLE congregation and that is all that matters with reference to the church.

3. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

So God only dwells in the church at corinth?

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye (plural) are (plural) the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them (plural), and walk in them (plural); and I will be their (plural) God, and they (plural) shall be my people.

5. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think TC answered that clearly.

The point is that the "temple of God" in 1 Cor. 6:16-19 is the human body whereas in 1 Cor. 3:5-16 it is the congregation at Corinth. Each congregation in the New Testament is a "temple" of the Holy Spirit, each one is "the body of Christ" and so the definite singular where it has geographical location is referring to the abstract institution rather than some mystical invisible theory.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that the Holy Spirit does not also dwell within them on an individual basis, as the scriptures teach BOTH individual and collective sense!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And only in a local assemble then?