1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinism and the Unpardonable Sin

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Guido, Aug 21, 2023.

1. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    By your own words you are denying what scripture tells us. You seem to think that man is saved before he even believes, that is not biblical. Here are just a few verses that disprove your errant view

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Eph 1:13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvationhaving also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,

Rom 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

Rom 10:13 for "WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED."

I do not deny the sovereignty of God but I have not turned Gods' sovereignty into determinism as you have. Your theology comes from Augustine down through Calvin and so forth. My theology comes from the bible which is the inspired word of God.

I am sure you will defend your calvinism but before you go to far down that road you should spend some time looking at the history of your theological view. Look at what your theology does to the character of God as found in the bible.

I am not questioning your salvation but I do question what you base your salvation upon.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They couldn't believe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Pharisees' had seen compelling evidence that Jesus was the Messiah and yet refused to believe. They even went so far as to claim that the miracles Jesus did by the power of the Holy Spirit, were in fact done by the power of Satan. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is an unpardonable sin.

Like I said KY they refused to believe the evidence right in front of themselves and thus rejected Christ Jesus. Are you suggesting that they did not have the ability to made that choice on their own?
    Obviously Christ believed that the Pharisees' and in fact all men can make real choices as He said we will be judged by our words:
    Mat 12:36 "But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment.
    Mat 12:37 "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

4. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Listen to Steph MacLeod's song and understand how God works with us. We were dead. We had no idea that Jesus was by our side, drawing us to Him so that all of those verses you quoted are realized in us.
    My salvation is based upon what God tells me is true, not what I felt as an experience. You seem to trust your perceived experience and then give yourself props for having "found Jesus" by your own determination rather than acknowledge that Jesus dragged you to Himself and saved you by His grace so that you could not not believe.
    My theology makes God the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Your theology says "God cannot..."

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Christ laid down His life as a ransom for all, those to be saved and those never to be saved (1 Tim. 2:6, 2 Peter 2:1)
    2) When and if God chooses (elects) a person for salvation through having them set apart by the Spirit and crediting their faith as righteousness, all the the adverse consequences of their sins, past, present and future will be taken away by the washing of regeneration.
    3) Yes, those not yet elected individually have the hope of salvation as long as they are physically alive.
    4) Very true, once individually elected, the individual cannot commit the unpardonable sin.
    5) The unpardonable sin is to not believe or not fully believe in Christ.
    6) No one comes to the Father except through Me.
    7) Yes, Christ tasted death, dying on the cross, for every person, those to be saved and those never to be saved, as His substitutionary death provides the means of reconciliation for all humanity but did not by itself reconcile anyone. God must transfer the individually spiritually into Christ for the washing of regeneration to occur which results in being made alive together with Christ, Ephesians 2:5.

6. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are trusting in Steph MacLeod to tell you about salvation rather that trusting in what the bible says. Just the choice of words that you use shows your lack of understanding of scripture. Christ does not "drag" us to Himself we are drawn to Him. Man still has to believe before God will, by His grace, save them. Faith comes before salvation. God does not save those that do not believe. Your rejection of clear scripture is telling in itself.

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 8: 47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Pure and simple... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ made no bones about it; it is impossible for the devil's children to hear and believe.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 John 5:9-13, ". . . If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. . . ."

10. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.
    I have pointed out what Jesus does and Steph MacLeod is simply telling us what God tells us. But, you fight against this with your flesh. You have to answer to God for your thinking and explain to God why you wouldn't acknowledge Jesus already helping you before you ever recognized His presence.

11. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Under your determinism God made them the devils children correct. So the question is why would He want to make people reject Him?

Your theology flies in the face of what scripture says.
    1Ti 2:3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,
    1Ti 2:4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

#31 Silverhair, Aug 24, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
  12. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you stick with your philosophy and I quote scripture and you think I am wrong because I do not hold to your errant philosophy. Give your head a shake and come into the real world. Your theology has it roots in pagan philosophy so the tree that comes from it bears bad fruit.

Mat 7:17 "So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit.
    Mat 7:18 "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.
    Mat 7:19 "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
    Mat 7:20 "So then, you will know them by their fruits.

How you come to your false conclusions regarding me can only come from the fact I do not ad here to your failed philosophy but it is clear that you do not understand the scriptures I have posted or what I have written.

Try to think these through
    Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Eph 1:13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvationhaving also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,

Rom 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

Rom 10:13 for "WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED."

I do not deny the sovereignty of God but I have not turned Gods' sovereignty into determinism as you have. Your theology comes from Augustine down through Calvin and so forth. My theology comes from the bible which is the inspired word of God.

#32 Silverhair, Aug 24, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
  13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he still find fault? For who withstandeth his will?
    20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why didst thou make me thus? Ro 9

14. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your quote does not answer the question does it. You are just dancing around the question KY. It is not a matter of God finding fault, it is a matter of what you say your version of God determined.

Why would God who desires all to come to repentance cause some of those same people to reject Him. Why would He make them the devil's children?

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It most definitely does:

Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God?

16. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right here is your stumbling block. You do not grasp grace. And you just don't believe God when He tells you that no one seeks God. Instead, you attempt to disqualify what God tells you. Why won't you accept what God tells you?

Since no one seeks God (a fact), therefore salvation cannot be by human determination. If God left humans to themselves, no one would ever choose God. They would die in their sins (100% of the time). So, God doesn't ever cause people to reject God. People, by nature, always reject God because they are born in sin.
    Adam made us all slaves of sin (Satan). You are guilty all on your own without God causing anything.
    You keep rejecting what God tells you in the Bible.

17. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you not trust what the bible actually says. You need to start read verses in context then you will not make the logical errors that you continue to do.

Your calvinism which you seem to think is the standard has lead you astray. Your calvinism on one hand says God determines all things but then you turn around and say but not all those bad things. You calvinists are just so lost in your errant theology that it is shameful.

Remember it is your LBCF that says:
    God hath decreed in himself, from all eternity, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely and unchangeably, all things, whatsoever comes to pass;

If God has determined all things that logically includes secondary causes and all sin and evil.
    God has either decreed all things or He has not.
    If you say He has not then you have to throw out your divine determinism and your whole theology collapses. If on the other hand you say He has then you make Him the author of evil which then puts you at odds with scripture and you are teaching a false religion.
    This is what happens when you have a man-made religion.

So @taisto it is not the bible I reject, it is your errant view of the bible that I reject. Your calvinism came from pagan roots so that it bears bad fruit is to be expected.

18. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still dancing KY.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If unpardonable sin is the quenching of the Holy Spirit.. IE stopping the message of joy and happiness from happening then it stands to reason that the damage is being done on an earthly realm, then potentially on an eternal realm if not corrected. If done temporal, God has many many ways to regain one’s attention, not that we would like it… but you’d be a complete arse if you didn’t, Wake Up and smell the coffee. If he is coming to get ya, your coming back with him, (screw your free will). :Sneaky

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We must all give account and that will embarrass us but we have a savior, Christ the Lord who died for whom the Father gave the Son to look after… and they call them the Elect. It is those who are not elect that will be the obstinate ones, the ones with the Unpardonable Sin. The Calvinists call them the Reprobates.