1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Difficulty with Understanding Hebrews

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Guido, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Despite long inability to read through Hebrews, for motivational lack, I have read it through many times before, and with respect to understanding, have found it challenging, not that I struggle with the sense of each sentence, given I know its vocabulary, but one part of Hebrews I find to be difficult, the clause after God in the the start of the Book, for its many prepositional phrases attached to verb, and not in an order good for my comprehension.

And I must admit, the KJV contains many words outside my current knowledge, a reason that I have failed to understand Hebrews. But another reason is my lack of knowledge concerning its organization, concerning the connections among its thoughts, and concerning its themes and purposes. And I know many commentaries try to explain it, but I want to interpret it myself. Moreover, I fail to understand why interpretations abound, the book appearing as though it were ambiguous.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the reason for difficulty is using the KJV, I'd suggest the NKJV (if you want to stick with the KJV tradition) or the NIV.

It's organization is, basically, the superiority of Christ (in context to the OT), the superiority of Jesus' ministry, and the role of God's people within His kingdom.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't read the King James anymore. Not because I don't admire the King James, because I do. I just read other translations - primarily the ESV and NIV.

However, Hebrews is an awesome book. Here's a simple outline that might help as you read it.

Whoever wrote Hebrews - and we don't know who - was very concerned that Jewish believers did not abandon Christ and go back to Old Testament ways.

The author wanted these people to understand that Jesus Christ is superior to everything.

• Chapters 1-8a = Jesus Christ is superior to prophets, angels, Moses, Aaron, and the priesthood.

• Chapters 8b - 10a = The New Covenant is superior to the Old because of its better promises, better sanctuary, and better sacrifice

• Chapters 10b - 13 = Because Christ and the New Covenant are much better and superior, two main urgings are given: [1] Draw near to God and hold fast, [2] run the race of faith with endurance, and [3] some miscellaneous urgings.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as words go, I Google them all day long. All kinds of things about them. Especially something as simple as Googling the word and putting 'synonyms' there with it. It helps. It's "advantageous"!!

I don't think it would harm your intention to interpret Hebrews yourself, by having a very general rundown of it, as with this one by John Broadus;

The Epistle to the Hebrews, By John A. Broadus

Anytime you want a quick read, let an audio Bible speaking read the hard words and keep right on going. As you read along. You'll be blessed.

King James Version KJV Audio Bible - Listen Free Online

5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want an audio KJV to listen to I recommend Alexander Scourby... Here's the link if your interested... Brother Glen:)

Listen To The King James Bible

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the encouragement. I just want to clarify that I do not find the Book of Hebrews ambiguous. That's how I felt before, and I simply miscommunicated either because I wrote down the wrong thought originally or because I failed to convey what I wrote despite revision and editing. I also am not always very good at making my writing flow smoothly, as I had been somewhat in the past. Also, I had usually just edited as I wrote.

I believe that Grace Evangelical Society has a good commentary on Hebrews, which makes the most sense of all the commentaries I have read on it, although I do not remember everything I read in it, nor read the whole thing thoroughly.