1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does the RCC have any boundaries?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 19, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    After praying about it, I think God will turn the situation to good, don’t worry about it anymore mate. The people behind it are going to have it all turned back on them, what they intended will be reversed.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Utah Phillips once said, “The Planet is not dying, it is being killed. And the people doing the killing have names and addresses.”

3. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wrong! The Catholic Church has grown to over 1.378 Billion. Much, much larger than any other Christian church and is definitely not declining. And, btw, there is no such thing as 'The Pentecostal church'. There is Pentecostalism of which many are not trinitarian.

#83 Walter, Feb 9, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not true.

The RCC, along with most mainstream denominations, have been declining for the past several decades. They were steady in the late 80's but by the mid 90's were declining again.

A century ago most Europeans were Roman Catholic (65%). Now this has dropped to 24%. This trend has continued worldwide.

We are talking population. As the population has increased the Roman Catholic Church has failed to reach new peoples. Growth continues as tradition (families associated with RCC tradition) but many of the actual churches are dead.

The Pentecostal church is not non-trinitarian (you have confused Pentecostalism with Oneness Pentecostalism).

The reason Pentecostals are striving where the Roman Catholic Church (and most mainstream denominations) have failed is not a different gospel. I believe their theology is often weak and incorrect, but perhaps this contributes to its assimilation by non-western cultures.

5. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Have the Pentecostals grown by more than 360 million since 2000?

6. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Catholics numbered just over 1 billion in 2000 apparently, and have grown nearly 400 million since then. That’s pretty substantial.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just untrue. Even in the U.S., the Catholic Church has grown by by millions over the past 10 years (unlike the decline of Baptists). The Catholic Church has grown around the world, not declined. Check your facts for you post fake information.

Vatican Census: The Catholic Church is growing everywhere — except Europe

U.S. Catholic population shows growth, trends southward

#87 Walter, Feb 12, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you ate ignoring is population growth.

Additionally, Roman Catholic attendance has dropped by 50%.

Let's be honest here - most Catholics are Catholic by tradition. They belong to a false church which most will not attend.

Baptist growth has far exceeded Catholic growth BUT not in mainstream denominations (most baptist churches are not denominational).

9. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Again, you refer to the 'Pentecostal church'. There is not such animal. There is Pentecostalism of which a significant number of them embrace 'Oneness' which denies the Trinity. Let me ask you, are people who deny the Trinity Christians????

10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have seen churches with a great big “United Pentecostal Church” sign out front. Do you think these folks don’t realize “there’s no such animal” as a Pentecostal Church?

peace to you

11. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeah well I think Catholics are fantastic. I could be a little biased though.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    United Pentecostal churches ALL deny the Trinity. They are among the non-Christian Pentecostals. To them they deny that any Trinitarian Pentecostals are NOT part of any true Pentecostal church Your opinion as to whether they are 'The Pentecostal church' or a branch of a heretical Pentecostals claiming to be the true representation of
    The Pentecostal Church????

• Like Like x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You refer to the Baptist Church. There is no such an animal.

When we speak of a church beyond a congregation we are not speaking of a church.

Do I know that Oneness Pentecostalism is a minority within Pentecostalism and one most Pentecostals reject? Yes, of course.

Do I believe those who reject the doctrine of the Trinity are Christians?

Accepting the doctrine of the Trinity does not make one a Christian. What is required is repentance and belief in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

So I would say Oneness Pentecostal doctrine insofar as rejecting the doctrine of the Trinity is not Christian doctrine. That does not mean that there are no Oneness Pentecostals who are Christian.

Likewise, Roman Catholic doctrine is not Christian. It appeals to those seeking ritualistic worship and a certain type of structure. BUT that does not mean Roman Catholics are not Christian.

A man can believe all the right doctrines without being a Christian.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea....your bias is showing :Biggrin

I actually agree with you. I have Catholic friends, many are Christian. Some of my Catholic friends are just "Catholic" by tradition (I guess you could say "non-practicing" Catholics?....these are the ones that talk about Jameson vs Bushmill but as a Baptist I dont have to choose just one ;)).

From a spiritual sense, Christians (true Christians) are fantastic. They are my family. Some are Catholic, some Baptist, some Presbyterian, a few Methodist, and a few Assembly of God.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jameson’s is fantastic, couldn’t tell you about Bushmills, God forbid that ever passes my lips.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny thing is Bushmills' master distiller is Catholic and Jameson was a Protestant. But based on geography Jameson is Catholic and Bushmills Protestant.

I just say this to ease your mind about some 10 year Bushmills passing your lips. :Biggrin

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have misquoted me, literally. I never said they are “The Pentecostal Church”. You claimed there is “no such animal” as the Pentecostal Church. I pointed to groups claiming to be Pentecostal churches, even using “Pentecostal” in their name.

Nothing more or less

peace to you

18. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks for the clarification . . . Peace to you as well

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On another note -

Pentecostalism is the fastest growing religion in the world. (And most Pentecostals are trinitarians).

I think a good question is "why?".

Is it because Pentecostalism has a heavy focus on the Kingdom (the Kingdom experienced now)?

Is it based on the culture of areas where Christianity is growing (non-Western areas of the word)?

Or both....or something else?

I mention culture because Roman Catholics and churches that came out of the Roman Catholic Church often hold very similar thought processes in terms of theology.

20. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A question comes to mind as to whether charismatic (Pentecostal) Catholics are counted among 'the fastest growing?'
    They number in the millions.
    I do not count myself among the 'charismatic Catholics' and I must admit I have not spent time in study of the movement, however, I do know the 'Pentecostal Catholics' have a heavy emphasis on the need for repentance and following Jesus as Savior and Lord.

It is estimated that Pentecostal Catholics number AD 2000 – 119,910,000.

Catholic Charismatic Renewal Worldwide Statistics - WWCCR

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.