1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gift of Prophecy

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Piper, Jul 24, 2023.

1. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another cool thread I read from SaggyWoman from years ago:

Is the gift of prophecy still an active, valid gift for the church today?

If so, how so?

If not, why not?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if by "prophecy" one means to proclaim the gospel of Christ as revealed in the Word of God.

If one means something extraneous to the Word of God, then no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jeffrey Carr

Jeffrey Carr New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prophecy was a revelational gift. As revelation is complete in the New Testament canon, so the gift has ceased.
    Also, Prophets were a foundational gift to the Church and have long since gone by the way.

#3 Jeffrey Carr, Jul 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The purpose of a prophet - is to point out the sin! Sure in the OT, some did prophecy the future - but was it not also in conjunction with a sin being exposed?

And in this day and age- so many are having their feelings hurt when they are told they are wrong.

5. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True.

But if Prophecy one means NT Prophecy as Wayne Grudem outlines in his fantastic book "The Gift of Prophecy in the New Testament" It is not extraneous truth. It is not just preaching. It's too hard to summarize in one post. But i do believe it and I am a continuationist in that regard.

6. SATS PROF

SATS PROF Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my opinion, NT prophecy did not merely mean preaching, it means using the gift to reveal .(eg, note Agabus in Acts). But, IMO, prophets were subject to apostles, ! Cor 14. I also think that if God wishes to endow a believer in the 21st c. with that gift, He can and will do so.

IMO, 1 Corinthians 13:8 does not indicate that prophecy must cease after the completion of the NT. NT prophets are not named as writers of the NT.

BUT, let me tell you a true story: I once became a temporary member of a non Baptist church..In that church were three who claimed to be prophets. One day, the pastor's dog disappeared, These prophets to told pastor that that a satanic cult had sacrificed the dog to Satan.. But the following day the dog walked home uninjured.

Blessings, Bill

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to a literal reading of 1 Corinthians 13:8-10, the gifts of prophecies was one of two speaking gifts said to be in part. And can be understood to be done away when it was made perfect. James 1:17, Ephesians 2:20, ". . . the foundation of the apostles and prophets, . . ." Unless this foundation is yet not complet.

8. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A very common Reformed view.