1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John R. Rice on lifestyle evangelism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jan 7, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Turn to page 19 of the book "The Soul Winner's Fire" and read the last paragraph. Rice says to go after sinners and this implies contact evangelism, a form of evangelism despised by most on this board and most Christians in general. But before he said that he clearly said that living a Godly life is not the way God has appointed to see sinners saved! This would imply that we get off our seats and get out there and reach the lost! This would imply that we buy some good gospel tracts and use our mouths to speak with people. Perhaps even do some open air preaching, for those that are gifted and passionate about this style of evangelism.

But if you want some tracts I have a place where you can get them.

http://www.fellowshiptractleague.org/english.html

These tracts are FREE as the Lord provides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmm - I don't know one person here who despises contact evangelism and I don't know any Christian who does either. Can you show me where people here despise this? Actually, I believe it would be more YOU who despise this kind of evangelism - actually being in contact with people and sitting down and talking to them in a conversation. It seems you'd rather just talk to the wind on a street corner.

Well, I would want to see the quote because I doubt that he would say that living a godly life is a way for sinners to be saved since it is scriptural. I do agree that we have to get off our seats and go out there and reach the lost. But we have differing views on how that is done. Many of us here say that means to get into people's lives as Jesus did. Talk to them, do life with them, get to know them. Don't just hand them a piece of paper and feel proud that you gave the gospel to someone.

Actually, it doesn't.

And use our ears as well. Remember we have two ears and only one mouth. Maybe that was by design.

To be honest, I've seen your open air preaching and others as well and I'm not all that impressed. 8 years and not one soul saved says a lot.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The fact is living a Godly life is not the way God has appointed to get sinners saved."

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is [Edited to read: mistaken].

#4 evangelist6589, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2017
  5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to agree with Evan :eek: I don't think many people get saved by osmosis. Yes, I'm aware of Matthew 5:16, and of course living right is important, but I don't think living a good life is sufficient. There has to be a word spoken, a tract or NT given away, an invitation to church extended.

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Few, including John R. Rice, do. A Godly lifestyle is a necessary accompaniment to confrontational evangelism. And confrontational evangelism is a necessary accompaniment to a Godly lifestyle.

I was once asked, "Do you believe in confrontational evangelism or lifestyle evangelism." I replied, "Yes."

Preaching is certainly an important aspect of evangelism as Romans 10:17 tells us "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

But backing our preaching up with a Godly lifestyle is equally important, as we see in Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

And the absolute necessity is the filling and empowering of the Holy Spirit for our evangelistic efforts without which our preaching is in vain. And it is impossible to live in rebellion against God and be filled and empowered by the Holy Spirit at the same time.

Remember David's words when he fell into sin, "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. (Psalm 51:10)

(Psalm 51:11b) "take not thy holy spirit from me."

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

If they can't see it in you they won't listen to it from you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm Preaching a Topical Series about "The Fruit of Our Lives Should be well pleasing to the Lord"

Previously, i've spoken on the reality of the Gospel producing Godly Attitudes/Characteristics and Godly Works. This week i am going to speak on "Making Disciples". Part of that is Witnessing/testifying about the Faith Once Delivered unto the Saints: Making a Case that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the Truth that Surrounds the Universe we Live in.

Well, in order to be a witness, we must be able to testify about something. We have a testimony that we can say with 100% confidence, "This is True". But here is the reality, if the witness' CHARACTER comes into question, so does his testimony.

If one is known to be a liar, one who exaggerates, deceitful, self-willed, etc. the testimony will be taken lightly or not at all!

So yes, the walk must match the Talk. Surely Scripture talks about this? :)

1 Peter 3
    14 But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;

15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.

17 For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rice implies this is just icing on the cake. The way to save souls is to go out and reach them.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen!

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evangelist Bob Jones, Sr. used to say "Your walk talks, and your talk talks, but your walk talks louder than your talk talks."

I think he may have been right. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where does John R. Rice imply that Godly living is not crucial to Gospel preaching/witnessing?

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said that! Godly living backs up our witness. It's pre-evangelism.

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The main way God uses to reach out to the lost though is individual relationship ministry, as you and I rub shoulders with friend and hamily who we earn te respect an righ to speak to them on Jesus.
    Thisi hard work , and takes sometime, as the Lord finally saved my Father and a goodfriend after r 30 years of livng as as a Christian and telling them about Jesus impact on my life all those years!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our godly lifestyles and our interaction with them grants to us the privelge of sharing jesus with them!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We need both, as our words should match our deeds, and personal evangelism is how God reaches the masses best...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True lifestyle evangelism involves investing in the lives of unchurched people and both living and speaking the truth of Jesus.

I don't do that tract thing because I have found it to be shockingly ineffective. Moreover, too many people have misused tracts or have passed out bad one (Jack Chick's come to mind) and there is a bias against them.

As someone who lives lifestyle evangelism, I have had Spirit-empowered talks with many people simply by being a good listener, investing in other people, and being bold enough to speak when there is an opportunity. Just last week I had an opportunity to share my testimony with an agnostic over dinner and he was quite intrigued. I am following up with him this weekend.

When you make yourself available to God - and not try to force your own agenda - God puts you in touch with people He wants to touch. Oh, it also happened last weekend with a young woman who has been out of church for a while and is disillusioned after her church and leadership collapsed in a fit of ungodly hubris. She ended up attending church last Sunday with my wife and me, and seemed to find her way again.

And I'm not anyone special or following any kind of method described in a book. I'm just available and ready.

18. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're quoting from the best!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best way to reach people fo Jesus is to invest time in their lives, so that they can see Him in us, and will then taketime to reallylisten to us!
    We are to be as living Epistles to be seen and read by them. as per Peter!

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strange in Acts you see the apostles doing allot of open air preaching.