1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Milei Proves That Ideas Matter

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by KenH, Feb 1, 2024.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Rather than the thin gruel of economic grievance offered by American right-wing populists, Milei’s policies are built on his vast knowledge of sound and successful, albeit politically unpopular, economic thinking.”

- rest at Milei Proves That Ideas Matter | AIER

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All right Ken, in your mind and hopefully experience, is this Miles guy managing to change lives significantly, because to me he is just babbling the same rhetoric that politicians have been saying from the days of Julius Caesar & we know what happened to him.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not a natural function of government to "change lives significantly." As my favorite president, Grover Cleveland, wrote in his veto message of the Texas Seed Bill in 1887:

"I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution, and I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit. A prevalent tendency to disregard the limited mission of this power and duty should, I think, be steadfastly resisted, to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that though the people support the Government the Government should not support the people."

What should people be supporting the government to do? -

"The state therefore has two natural functions, functions essential to the existence of any peaceful, ordered society: to protect the rights of citizens against violent or fraudulent assault, and to judge in conflicts of right with right. It has a further third function, which is another aspect of the first, that is, to protect its citizens from assault by foreign powers. These three functions are expressed by three powers: the police power, which protects the citizen against domestic violence; the military power, which protects the citizen against violence from abroad; and the courts of law, which judge between rights and rights, as well as sharing with the police power the protection of the citizen against domestic violence.

But since this institution must possess a monopoly of legal physical force, to give to it in addition any further power is fraught with danger; that monopoly gives to the state so much power that its natural functions should be its maximum functions."

- Frank S. Meyer, In Defense of Freedom: A Conservative Credo, published in 1962

On the subject of President Javier Milei of Argentina, he appears to be attempting to make a good start. What happens next depends upon the legislature in Argentina:

"After devaluing the peso by more than 50 percent, cutting state subsidies, and reducing the number of ministries by half, Milei presented a package that encompasses most of his plans to transform Argentina into a free market economy. The 351-page bill proposes to deregulate and modify laws governing fiscal matters, labor, the environment, health, and more."

- rest at Milei's Sweeping Reform Package Triumphs in the Legislature's Lower House (reason.com)

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well good luck with that Milei, you are fighting against rampant corruption. I sincerely hope the military has your back.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My personal presidential hero’s are Andy Jackson then Ike. I like pluck, I like determination, I like a military career.