1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Rick Warren Speaks out

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jun 1, 2023.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Each one of us has a role in the body of Christ and maybe some of us serve in various roles but the role of the preacher in the body of Christ, is not to give a sermon in a dress... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I care zero what Warren says.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The comparison of Warren and Wright doesn't hold. Wright has taught and explained his views Warren has not. Warren claims he has changed his mind after extensive study, yet does not explain what he has learned from this study. He acts on it by ordaining female pastors but doesn't give a scriptural basis for it. This is not to say Warren or Wright are correct, Wright has been open and people are able to engage with Wright and point out the error. Warren has kept thing hidden, so people cannot correct or be corrected.

So he denies both Complementarianism and Egalitarianism, fine. But what does he believe? Clearly he believes it is right for women to preach and to be Pastors. Does he give a scriptural reason for this, No. He claims his views are biblical but refuses to explain the biblical basis.Yes, he must be ready to give an answer when he acts contrary to the SBC Statement of Faith which precludes woman pastors.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, we should care
    Why
    So when a church member asks about it - then we can intelligently discuss the issue so they can understand what the Bible says

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Rick Warren wants to have female pastors - and he knows the SBC does not so endorse - why would he want to stay in the SBC?

He if free to go with the CBF, AoB or even the ABC!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wright has to a very large degree (in a very large book ;) ).

What I mean is Wright says in describing his belief that he wants to open dialogue because Reformed theology had gotten it wrong by interpretating Scripture within a 15th to 16th century worldview. BUT he also said he has no doubt there are problems with his NPP (hence desiring conversation).

I read Warren as saying much the same (that the two views are problematic, he holds neither fully).

Personally I don't care. I'm not a fan of Warren (not an enemy either).

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ohhh, the way thing are going…:rolleyes:

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have Sunday school & who teaches there?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look this is an angle to sell church to women by getting them more involved. It’s a gimmick and one thing that’s leading to the liberalization of churches … evidence the Episcopal, Methodist, Presbyterian churches which are all diminished.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you.. so what’s his real agenda? How bout growing his church by using the SBC and makin a name for himself in the process

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Men and women teach SS.
    Often it’s family teams, husband and wife.

Rob

12. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a church member asked--or even if they did not ask--I would point them to Scripture, not to Warren. I don't mean that to sound short or unkind--I simply mean that the answer to a member's question should come from Scripture alone, and the "asker" should disregard Warren when Warren goes against Scripture, and women pastors are not Scriptural. The pastor must be the husband of one wife, for example, and no matter what government claims, women cannot marry women (nor can men marry women, but that's plain, too). If I had to take a stand, I would be an enemy of Warren's more than a friend.

13. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have a problem with them teaching SS together. In the first place, SS is not a New Testament organization anyhow.

The woman is not to usurp the authority of the man, nor can she be a pastor, but I think she can certainly assist her husband, after all, Priscilla and Aquilla taught Apollos together.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess if your a preacher in Scotland, they don't mind the male clergy wear, I guess you can say skirts?... Brother Glen:Biggrin

Take that Rick Warren!

#35 tyndale1946, Jun 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy 2:15 NLT
    But women will be saved through childbearing,* assuming they continue to live in faith, love, holiness, and modesty.
    2:15 Or will be saved by accepting their role as mothers, or will be saved by the birth of the Child.

So far, we have heard that the women actually refers to one particular woman, Eve. The first leap of supposition comes from taking "she" or "woman" or women to refer to Eve, the woman in view in the preceding verse. The "they" plural, points to women in general rather than an individual.

The idea that some kind of salvation is brought about by giving birth to a child or over time to children is dubious at best. Here is where the two options of the NLT footnote come into play. I think the first option, performing their role as mothers, is probably correct, as the qualifiers point to that job, rather than the fact Mary gave birth to Christ.

So they, all humans no matter the gender, are saved if they (1) continue to the end, (2) believed and spiritually baptized into Christ, (3) enters through the door of Christ, (4) call on the name of the Lord, (5) are part of the remnant of believers and (6) are part of "all Israel." Here women are saved provided they continue to exercise their role in faith, love and the holiness provided by self-restraint.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now what do you wear underneath that’s the question! :Wink

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay thanks :Thumbsup

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is an Anglican. That tells me all I need to know.

• Like Like x 1
  20. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bvd's or boxers... I guess now you want to know which brand?... Brother Glen:Biggrin

• Funny Funny x 1