1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should pastors speak out?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Sep 22, 2023.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He said we should have more Jeremiahs. He seemed surprised at the people's reaction.

Yes, ALL Christians should speak the truth. But why be surprised when the world responds to a pastor the way the people responded to Jeremiah?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jeremiah 26:2-3

“This is what the LORD says: ‘Stand in the courtyard of the LORD’S house, and speak to all the cities of Judah who have come to worship in the LORD’S house all the words that I have commanded you to speak to them. Do not omit a word! ‘Perhaps they will listen and everyone will turn from his evil way, and I will relent of the disaster which I am planning to inflict on them because of the evil of their deeds.’​

Speaking truth to power is difficult. Just look upon the response of "KJVO" folks, or Calvinist folks or pick your poison folks. They wage war and the result does not advance the ministry of Christ. One wag said, believe like a Calvinist but preach like an Arminian.

What if my "truth" is not "your truth?" I say two wrongs do not make a right. But dozens of posters have sought to justify their behavior by claiming my behavior is just as bad! And very few defended the actual truth. The old, the enemy of my enemy is my friend viewpoint.

Note how others are condemned with generalities rather than specifics. They are silent when "amoral" behavior is advocated. No specified behavior is mentioned.

For example, college educated people often view less educated people with contempt. Teachers know better than parents, so no need to inform them concerning sexually explicit books in the classroom. But such commentary would strike at the heart of the power structure, and so the silence is deafening.

5. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the US is like Canada then you have laws that make it a crime to speak out about the evil we see being paraded about as normal. As @Scarlett O. said "why be surprised" Christians will be marginalized as we will not follow the crowd.

I am sure you have heard the old expression, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Many Christians will say God is Love but seem to forget that He hates sin and will judge it.

Why do so many Pastors and/or Christians not speak out? 1] fear of the law or 2] apathy, let someone else do it.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Christians are to spread the gospel. Simply trying to control behavior doesn't work, just as the Law in the Old Testament didn't stop fornication, murder, etc.

We vile human beings can only clean up the outside, and the gospel is not about cleaning up the outside. It's about God regenerating His elect and preserving them and bringing them to eternal glory in Christ.

Matthew 23:25-26 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess. Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.

Now, practically speaking, would I prefer that the reprobates behave decently - don't murder, don't steal, don't fornicate? Yes, but lots of people stop getting drunk or stop fornicating or clean up their lives outside of the gospel of Christ. There are carnal organizations that help with that. And as beneficial, in a worldly sense, as cleaning up one's life is, there is no salvation in human self-clean up efforts.

1 Corinthians 1:23 We preach Christ crucified.

#6 KenH, Sep 22, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
  7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN!... If it affects your church deal with it, if it doesn't leave it alone!... Brother Glen:)

1 Corinthians 5: It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.

2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.

3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,

4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,

5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Later on after he cleaned up his act, he repented of his sin and the same church restored him, in full fellowship.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that chapter ends with:

1 Corinthians 5:12-13 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Christians should stand for Christ (and for truth).

At the same time, don't cast pearls before swine.

Consider where we are standing when we take that stand.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it should only be for scriptural issues.

For example - there is a lot of talk about age limits for POTUS, SCOTUS, as well Congressman. -- Unless, you can show me in the Bible where we need to have limits on age - it should not be from the pulpit.

AND to clarify - I am not talking about bringing up political issues outside of the pulpit - and that is fine - Just dont bring it up in church!

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With one political party openly attacking the validity of Christianity, the Bible, and its value system, it is hard not to address the advocates of false doctrine.

1) Is advocating Biblical doctrine "hate speech?" (For example, homosexual activity is inappropriate according to scripture.)

2) Is human life, from conception, something to be nurtured? What does scripture teach?

3) Do we presume people innocent until proven guilty? What does scripture teach?

4) If an elected person is found to repeatedly misrepresent the facts, should a Christian vote for the person? What does scripture teach?

5) Do parents have a God given right to raise their children, or does the Bible teach they should be raised by strangers? What does scripture teach.

6) We should not judge people by their age or skin color, but by the content of their character. How should we treat the feeble-minded due to degeneration?

It is a tad difficult to find a topic than cannot be explored from scripture.