1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Wife of Christ Is Called the LORD Our Righteousness

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Apr 2, 2024.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "And this is the name, wherewith she shall be called, the LORD our righteousness."—Jeremiah 33:16.

My soul! the subject of thy morning meditation would not be complete, if thy personal interest in it were not taken into the account; and therefore let thy mind be led forth, this evening, in sweet contemplation upon what the Holy Ghost hath said, in this scripture, by his same servant, the prophet, concerning the church of Jesus. If Jesus be called "the Lord our righteousness," and be, as he is well known to be, the husband of his people, surely his wife shall be called by her husband's name. She shall be called so because it is her husband's name; "the Lord our righteousness." And as he became sin for her, when he knew no sin; so she, when she knew no righteousness, shall, by virtue of her union and relationship with him, be righteousness, even "the righteousness of God in him," 2 Corinthians 5:21. Now, my soul, seeing that these things are certain, sure, and unquestionable, do thou follow up the transporting meditation in every way, and by every way, and by every consideration, in which the blessedness of it is confirmed and assured. Married to Jesus, thou hast an interest in all he hath as Mediator, as the glorious Head of his body, the church, "the fulness of him that filleth all in all." And indeed, it is such an union and oneness, as nothing in nature can fully represent: "For he that is joined to the Lord is one spirit," 1 Corinthians 6:17. It infinitely transcends the marriage union, which is only in natural things, and at death is dissolved; for this union is spiritual, and continues for ever. Hence Jesus saith, "I will betroth thee to me for ever," Hosea 2:19. Never lose sight of this high union, and the infinitely precious blessings to which, by virtue of it, thou art entitled: and while thou art called by his name, see that thou hast a conformity to his image. An union of grace should be manifested by an union of heart. What thy Jesus loves, thou shouldest love; and what he hates, do thou hate. Let his people be thy people; and his God and Father thine also. And from being one with him in heart, in mind, in sympathy, and affection; receiving life from him, living on him, and being in him; then will he be every thing to thee, of grace in this life, and of glory in that which is to come. Precious Lord, and husband of thy people, be thou made of God to me, and all thy redeemed, "wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption; that according as it is written, he that glorieth, may glory in the Lord!"

- Robert Hawker, The Poor Man's Morning and Evening Portions, April 1, Evening

2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philippians 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith

Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philippians 3:8-9 (NET)
    3:8 More than that, I now regard all things as liabilities compared to the far greater value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things – indeed, I regard them as dung!– that I may gain Christ, and be found in him, not because I have my own righteousness derived from the law, but because I have the righteousness that comes by way of Christ’s faithfulness – a righteousness from God that is in fact based on Christ’s faithfulness.​

Because Christ's sacrifice of His life, He became the means of reconciliation for the whole of humanity, and each individual that receives that reconciliation on the basis of their credited by God faith, undergoes the washing of regeneration, and as a new creation in Christ have the righteousness of God. Thus Christ became our righteousness. :)