1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Who/What Is This Woman?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by kyredneck, Jul 12, 2023.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    15 and I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed: he shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. Gen 3

2. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's Eve. Referring back to the Woman in previous verses. BUt Eve as representative of all women. Hmmm, is that why women are scared of snakes and men aren't?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm...you might want to rethink that comment. :Biggrin

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Gleaning In Genesis... Pink!

"And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel" (Gen. 3:15). Here again we behold the exceeding riches of God’s grace. Before He acted in judgment He displayed His mercy; before He banished the guilty ones from Eden, He gave them a blessed promise and hope. Though Satan had encompassed the downfall of man, it is announced that One shall come and bruise his head. By woman had come sin, by woman should come the Savior. By woman had come the curse, by woman should come Him who would bear and remove the curse. By woman Paradise was lost, yet by woman should be born the One who should regain it. O what grace—the Lord of glory was to be the woman’s Seed! Here we have the beginning and germ of all prophecy. It would be outside our province now to attempt anything more than a bare outline of the contents of this wonderful verse. But three things should be carefully noted. First, it is announced that there should be enmity between Satan and the woman. This part of the verse is invariably passed over by commentators. Yet it is of profound importance. The "woman" here typifies Israel—the woman from whom the promised Seed came—the woman of Revelation 12. The children of Israel being the appointed channel through which the Messiah was to come, became the object of Satan’s continued enmity and assault. How marvelously this prediction has already been fulfilled all students of Scripture know full well. The "famines" mentioned in Genesis were the first efforts of the enemy to destroy the fathers of the chosen race. The edict of Pharaoh to destroy all the male children; the Egyptian attack at the Red Sea; the assaults of the Canaanites when in the land; the plot of Haman, are all so many examples of this enmity between Satan and "the woman," while the continued persecution of the Jew by the Gentiles and the yet future opposition by the Beast witness to the same truth.

Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

This verse is apocalyptic and is commonly known as the Protoevangelium (first gospel). It is the only place in scripture where the seed of a woman is mentioned and it points toward the only place in scripture where we see a virgin birth, the incarnation of Jesus. “He shall bruise thy head” refers to Christ’s victory over sin, a head wound signifying a fatal blow. “Thou shalt bruise his heel” refers to the wounding (crucifixion) of Christ, not a fatal blow on account of His resurrection.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do know Pink wrote this while he was still a dispie, right?

7. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BUT the question is:

WHO IS THE WOMAN???

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...or what...:) ...or maybe even where?

9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the last line kind of seals the deal, but know, I didn't... Should I have quoted Gill?... We both have resources but we filter it with what we believe... Rightly dividing the word of truth... And sometimes if someone enlightens me where I'm in error, I'll change it... But a little further down he mentions the Anti-Christ and the the Millennium... Need I say more?... Brother Glen:)

10. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where. I don't see that.

But what? maybe. Maybe it is all of those who are related to the woman, so humanity.

11. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's The Bride!... Brother Glen:)

The Church of Christ we have today,
    A blessing from the Lord;
    He gave Her to His son to save,
    And take Her home above.

She was His Bride before she knew,
    She had a Husband dear;
    And when for Her His choice was made,
    It caused her to draw near.

When she adorned with all His Grace,
    Shall be exalted there,
    No queen with all her glory here,
    Was ever half so fair.

The turtle dove is singing now;
    The winter's past and gone;
    Rise up my fair one, come away!
    I'll take you home to stay.

Sorry brethren I'm a previous song leader of over 35 years!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The better question is, which? Romans 9:6

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #13 kyredneck, Jul 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Compare:
    26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, which is our mother. Gal 4

With:
    Berean Literal Bible
    Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, except anyone be born from above, he is not able to see the kingdom of God."

Contemporary English Version
    Jesus replied, "I tell you for certain that you must be born from above before you can see God's kingdom!"

GOD'S WORD® Translation
    Jesus replied to Nicodemus, "I can guarantee this truth: No one can see the kingdom of God without being born from above."

International Standard Version
    Jesus replied to him, "Truly, I tell you emphatically, unless a person is born from above he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Literal Standard Version
    Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone may not be born from above, he is not able to see the Kingdom of God”;

New American Bible
    Jesus answered and said to him, “Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born from above.”

NET Bible
    Jesus replied, "I tell you the solemn truth, unless a person is born from above, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

New Revised Standard Version
    Jesus answered him, “Very truly, I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born from above.”

Young's Literal Translation
    Jesus answered and said to him, 'Verily, verily, I say to thee, If any one may not be born from above, he is not able to see the reign of God;'

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, I compared them. I don't get your point. Make it explicit. Don't ask me to figure it out. I'm pretty stupid.

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you're not stupid. The woman of Gen 3:15 is manifested in this realm as everyone (OT & NT) born from Jerusalem above, i.e., the children of Zion.

17. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you're saying only people who are believers?

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They're 'born from above' BEFORE they become believers. Sometimes long before.

19. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    " For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
    23 But he [who was] of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman [was] by promise.
    24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
    25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
    26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
    27 For it is written, Rejoice, [thou] barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband. 28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. "
    ( Galatians 4:22-28 ).

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting theory.