1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Be a Baptist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 9, 2024.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am seeking to find out what binds us (Baptists) together. Not every Baptist on this board is moving towards Reformed Theology, nor are we moving towards Finneyism, Darbyism or Scofieldism. Many Baptists are moving back to our historical roots … I know. that I am! What I am really attempting to find out(from bretheren Baptists) is what binds us together...why do we remain decidedly Baptist?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In general it is believer's immersion. And even on this there can be some different understandings.

Priesthood of the believer.

Local church government.

The two rites as the primary two ordinances. Baptism and our Lord's remembrance.

For me, through the ministry of a local independent fundamental Baptist church, I was lead to a known so salvation in Christ.

#2 37818, Jul 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
  3. HatedByAll

HatedByAll Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason most Baptists are Baptist is because they like their local Church.
    Also they may have reasons they don't like other local Churches. Can be doctrinal, but are just as likely to be personal preference, or even something as simple as I don't like Down-Home Methodist Church because Billy Bob goes there.

The Church I go to I started to go there when I needed a Church with an Eight O'clock service when I was working a graveyard shift. I am still there because I like the people. It is doctrinally sound, but so are many others in this area. I don't pick a Church for it Doctrine, but I will quickly reject a Church that is unsound.

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While just five Baptist denominations are home to over 90% of Baptists, there are over 65 different denominations. The autonomy of local churches and the fact that there are so many Baptists mean there may be even more specific denominations... Jan 18, 2023

Brother that's a lot of Baptist!... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to go much deeper than just liking the local church. I consider Baptists ( in general ) to follow biblical principles far better than most other denominations, more true to the teachings of Christ.

6. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

So where did Baptist come from?... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure how being as divided as you mentioned in the OP ( Reformed Theology, Finneyism, Darbyism or Scofieldism) that this constitutes being bound together. That sounds more like division to me. In my opinion what should bind us is the Word of God, NOT denominational titles. For it is written; Amos 3: 3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptists have been called “people of the book” and for a good reason. For the baptist the bible is the written word of God and as such it is the final authority in all matters of belief and practice. No human opinion or decree of any church group can override the bible.

We further believe that every born again believer has direct access to the throne of God through prayer. While we seek to persuade men to choose the right, every individual Christian has the liberty to believe, as their own conscience dictates. This has lead to in house disagreements but in the end we are all one in Christ.

What is the Bible?
    THIS BOOK contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners and the happiness of believers.
    Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

• Like Like x 1