BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Christian DEBATE Forums (All Christians) > News / Current Events

News / Current Events Stay informed and keep others informed.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 01:01 AM
25,000 Posts Club

Default Joel Osteen resigns, cites ‘lack of faith’, leaves Christianity

Houston, Texas – CNN.com – April 2, 2013 – In a shocking and surprising development, megachurch pastor Joel Osteen has announced he is resigning from his post and leaving the Christian faith.

In a statement released on his website (http://www.joelostenministries.com), which appeared stripped down and bare, he said he has been questioning the faith for a long time. “I believe now that the Bible is a fallible, flawed, highly inconsistent history book that has been altered hundreds of times. There is zero evidence the Bible is the holy word of God,” said Osten.

The reaction across the Christian world ranged from shock to grief to anger. “I can’t believe it,” said Jolene McCormack, of Austin, Texas, “he’s the last person I would expect to defect to atheism.”

Some of his parishioners at his Lakewood, Texas area megachurch expressed anger. “We’ve given him so much, and now he’s leaving us?” said Jim Burger, 65, a ten-year member of the church. “We won’t stand for it.”

In recent months, Osteen had demonstrated a willingness to deviate from Christian doctrine, often peppering his sermons with “New Age” references and at one point calling himself “God”.

http://joelosteenministries.wordpres...-christianity/
Old 04-08-2013, 01:06 AM
25,000 Posts Club

A special message from Pastor Joel

Friday, March 29, 2013

"Thank you for visiting. As many of you may know, and may have heard in the news recently, many of my sermons have deviated from traditional Christian doctrine. I have been accused of altering the 'message' to fit my own doctrine and dogma. Others have accused me of preaching 'feel good Christianity'. I have also been accused of profiting greatly from my ministry, with my books and television deals.

Many of their criticisms are legitimate.

What they don't know is that deep down in my heart, for a number of years now, I have been questioning the faith, Christianity and whether Jesus Christ is really my, or anyone's, 'savior'.

I am now at the point that I am comfortable enough in what I believe that I am ready to announce to the world that I am no longer a Christian. I am no longer a believer in Christ. I no longer believe the Bible is the word of God.

I believe now that the Bible is a fallible, flawed, highly inconsistent history book that has been altered hundreds of times. There is zero evidence the Bible is the holy word of God. In fact, there is zero evidence "God" even exists. I believe I am more like God than the God of the Bible, a fictional character.

Today, I informed my closest colleagues of my decision to leave the church. Our ministry will continue in a bare-bones fashion as we liquidate our assets and fulfill various financial obligations.

I want to thank my wife, our parishioners and our faithful followers, the City of Houston, Lakewood, the State of Texas and my close friends, Oprah Winfrey and Larry King, for all of our support over the years

We're also having some trouble transferring ownership of some of our web sites, so as of now, I haven't been able to update everything on all of them. I'm dealing with some church leaders who refuse to accept my resignation. They are refusing to change or alter any of our many web sites, and this is the only one I have control over."

http://www.joelostenministries.com/
Old 04-08-2013, 01:26 AM
1,000 Posts Club

hoax site. Joel's last name is mis-spelled in the link. The link says osten when it should say osteen. Add the extra 'e' and you get to the real site.

We can never separate love and truth:

• Truth without love leads to legalism.

• Love without truth leads to liberalism.

How true that is.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:58 AM
Banned

Should probably stick to Drudge.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 AM
5,000 Posts Club

This probably would have been more appropriate on April 1st.

I doubt Joel and Victoria are going anywhere. They're making too much money "preaching the Gospel according to Joel".
Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 AM
6,000 Posts Club

Clearly a hoax. Come on folks, lets not desire so hard for terrible things that we fall for anything when it comes to certain people.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 AM
8,000 Posts Club

OP has a history of believing anything that is written so long as it lines up with his beliefs and opinions. Furthermore, any source is legitimate, even Tass.
Altar Call: Blasphemous insult to God
Everyone: The Elect
The World: The Elect
Whosoever: The Elect
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM
15,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
Should probably stick to Drudge.

"Were it not for God's choosing some, Heaven would have none." (Jer 13:23; John 6:38-9, 44)

Hosea 10:12
12 Sow for yourselves righteousness;
Reap in mercy;
Break up your fallow ground,
For it is time to seek the Lord,
Till He comes and rains righteousness on you.

“God is with me wherever I go.” ---George Whitefield, 1739
Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 AM
10,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth, Wind & Fire View Post
why would he leave, as where else could he go to find such a willing flock to be fleeced out of their money?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 AM

Olsteen hasn't preached Christianity since I first heard of him.