1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured If it's not the Gospel, what is it??

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by steaver, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Actually I believe Spurgeon said Calvinism was a "nickname" for the Gospel. Spurgeon never said TULIP was the Gospel. Calvin never heard of TULIP. In fact TULIP came along many years after Calvin died. The purpose of TULIP initially was to refute the Five Remonstrances of the followers of Arminius.

And steaver you boldly declared Calvinist claim that TULIP IS the Gospel!

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Getting back to the OP, here is Calvinist Tom Ascol (Founders head) in an interview with the Florida Baptist Witness:

http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/display_article.php?id=770892

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is not to say that there is any lack of people who would declare that TULIP is the gospel.
    For example:
    http://the-highway.com/calvinism-gospel_Cervinka.html

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The full sentence:

"It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

And it's from very early in Spurgeon's ministry.

If only more Calvinists would follow his advice and stick with "the Gospel, and nothing else".

He expanded on the "and nothing else" idea as his ministry matured:

"It is one thing to believe in the Doctrines of Grace, but quite another thing to accept all the encrustations which have formed upon those doctrines and also a very different matter to agree with the spirit which is apparent in some who profess to propagate the pure Truth of God."

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Thank you very much DHK; I appreciate that. Perhaps you were unaware but the Biblicist and I had just mentioned on another thread our wives and Alzheimers and I was super sensitive over your remark. I should not have said what I did. I was completely unaware of the remarks by ky and pinoy until Jerome mentioned them!

I saw what Alzheimers did to my Mother-in-law and the toll it took on my Father-in-law. I still struggle to understand why. I keep praying that my wife's dementia will not develop fully to Alzheimers but there is a genetic factor in the disease.

At present there are over 5 million people in this country with Alzheimers, about two thirds are women. The government is spending six times as much money on research for AIDS/HIV as for Alzheimers yet the cost of care for Alzheimers is in excess of 200 billion. It doesn't make sense.

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

My pastor's wife is struggling with it, taking aricept. I had an aunt on my dad's side, my grandmother(dad's mom), a 1st cousin diagnosed with it in her late-40's-early-50's, a 2nd cousin, that all had, or have it.

7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

I read the article and these portions I totally agree with :

The sacrifice of Christ is the very source and basis of our salvation. We are saved from our sin because He bore the penalty for our sin. The wrath which God bore against us has been swallowed up by the Cross of Christ. If Christ died for you, then God has no wrath left to pour out upon you. Christ did not merely sip from the cup of God’s wrath—He drank the cup dry!

I would disagree with the statement highlighted, I would say that Arminians who have not embraced the Doctrines of Grace as the Gospel are unbelievers, hence i believe that avoids giving them any false sense of assurance or security while believing a defective gospel, such as one that is not clear on Limited Atonement !

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Shame on you!!! Re-ported....

9. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

I have to be honest, report it all you want, the statement was meant to be seen !

10. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

One more point I need to add from the article :

Even though most religionist who say they believe in Salvation by Grace through Faith, what they really mean, though they will deny it vehemently, they believe that their Faith, which they perform, an act of their mind and or heart, is what merited them Salvation ! I dont care how much they deny it, that is what they are doing, and such a mindset must be condemned as seeking Salvation by works, even the works of the Law, since Faith is a work of the Law that ought to be done Matt 23:23

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You have every right to believe what you believe, but you don't have the right to call anyone on the board's salvation into question. You openly questioned over half the board's salvation...

S'long...:wavey:

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not understand true arminianism at all. You should try reading Arminius for yourself; last I checked, his writings were freely available at ccel.org.

In light of your statements, please explain Hebrews 10:39.

13. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

convicted

Thank You, just like you do !

I have a right to agree with or disagree with statements made in said article, thats all i did ! Are you saying I have no right to read an article here and point out what I agree with and dont agree with ?

14. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Things is, SBM, you didn't just disagree with an article statement. You stated:
    That isn't simple disagreement. That's, as C1 said, you calling into question the salvation of a sizable portion of this forum. I'm pretty sure that's not good.

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Tony,

Eventhough we may disagree on some biblical subjects, I would never dare question your's or anyone's salvation, on here, in public, or on another forum.

God said it best, "What I have cleansed, call thou not common."

16. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I don't doubt that you would, C1. We certainly are not in agreement on many things. But your experience of grace is yours alone. Just as mine is mine alone. I can no more give account for you on the day of judgment than you can give account for me. Therefore, it is not in my hands to question your salvation, or anyone else'e (let alone half the board).

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hold on for the moment. There are many of us who do not identify ourselves as Calvinists and who do not use the term Doctrines of Grace in our theological vacabulary. This statement seems to question our salvation.

• Since many here are binary in their catagorizations, e.g. if a person doesn't self identify as a Calvinist then they are an Aminian.
    • If one doen't embrace the Doctrines of Grace, one is an unbeliever. The problem is many of us are from a Northern Baptist background and the term (though not neccessarily the idea) is'nt used in out circles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.