BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist Board.com Archives (read only) > 2005 Archive

2005 Archive 2005 Archive.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 02-23-2005, 02:04 AM

This may have already been discussed, but could someone answer this question for me?
Thanks
Old 02-23-2005, 03:51 AM
1,000 Posts Club

My perception may be inaccurate but it is my perception.

Fundamental baptists are independant and answer only to Jesus. All offerings stay in the church for their maintainance and growth.

SBC has a head quarters where a percentage of the offerings go. They tend to be more liberal as F.B.C.s' tend to be very conservative.

Correct me if I am wrong!
Old 02-23-2005, 08:01 AM
2,000 Posts Club

This has been discussed a number of times. You may want to read this one

http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/.../10/4701.html?

The biggest difference between Southern Baptists and Independent Baptists is in how they fund missionaries.

Now by asking what the difference is between Southern Baptists and Fundamental Baptists your terminology may be a problem. There are many Southern Baptists who would consider themselves Fundamental.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:31 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Another difference (at least in the churches I know of personally) is that:

IFB churches usually are encouraged to wear 'dresses only', long hair for women, short hair and suits for men, no movies, no smoking, no wine, etc.

SBC is more relaxed in their standards. They may wear pants to church (the ladies) and have short hair, the men wear jeans to church, may have long hair, go to the movies, smoke, drink wine with their meals, etc.

I am not condemning either of these. I am just giving my observations. I have belonged to both churches. IFB and SBC...
Old 02-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Banned

I would agree with Tentmaker ...
Old 02-23-2005, 12:36 PM

I attended a "fundamental" Southern Baptist church. My Pastor stated that the reason for the SBC affiliation is Missions...
Old 02-23-2005, 01:12 PM

Quote:
IFB churches usually are encouraged to wear 'dresses only', long hair for women, short hair and suits for men, no movies, no smoking, no wine, etc.

SBC is more relaxed in their standards. They may wear pants to church (the ladies) and have short hair, the men wear jeans to church, may have long hair, go to the movies, smoke, drink wine with their meals, etc.

I am not condemning either of these. I am just giving my observations. I have belonged to both churches. IFB and SBC...
*This is to all who read this not just the person I am quoting from*

Just to clarify. It is not the belief of the IFB's for the women to wear dresses, no smoking, drinking, movie going etc. as you have stated.
We (I) do not follow the rules of the IFB church. We (I) do however follow the Bible. That my dear is the difference between IFB's and SBC's.
We follow God's command. SBC's answer to someone else, and they answer to someone else and so on. Sort of like the Catholic church.
SBC's standards on dress, music, drinking, smoking etc.. has gone away from the Bible. Somone who is higher up than the pastor told someone else that it was ok for all these things and like a stab wound it kept bleeding until the "movement" was in place.

IFBers are know as the radicals. AMEN! God was (Is) radical. He has one way and one way only. We follow that.

And if you are to please God you will willingly do as your suppose to.

When I first got saved in a SBC and I went home and looked for a home church my coice was the IFB. 6 years later I know that was the right thing to do. I wore pants, had my hair short, drank etc. No one "TOLD" me not to do that. God's conviction is what changed me. I now do wear skirts all the time, my hair is long, I threw away all the liquor in my house and choose not to attend places with alcohol.
I do it because the Holy Spirit talk to me and convicted me of my sins. Not because the IFB church told me to.

People make us out to be the Hitler of churches so to speak. We are the foundation on which baptist started.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:23 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:
It is not the belief of the IFB's for the women to wear dresses, no smoking, drinking, movie going etc. as you have stated.
BibleMaMa: (Just to clarify) I did not state it was the 'belief' of the IFB's. I said IFB churches usually encourage this.

Quote:
BTW, I am IFB...
žue
Old 02-23-2005, 01:49 PM
8,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally posted by I Am Blessed 16:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> It is not the belief of the IFB's for the women to wear dresses, no smoking, drinking, movie going etc. as you have stated.
BibleMaMa: (Just to clarify) I did not state it was the 'belief' of the IFB's. I said IFB churches usually encourage this. </font>[/QUOTE] I am not sure this is true either. Perhaps a greater percentage than in SBC churches... but I would doubt that even a majority make a big deal of it.

Quote:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> IFB churches usually are encouraged to wear 'dresses only', long hair for women, short hair and suits for men, no movies, no smoking, no wine, etc.
BTW, I am IFB...
žue
</font>[/QUOTE]As am I, people who concentrate on these extra-biblical interpretations tend to at some point cease to be fundamentalists and begin to be legalists.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:02 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

I agree 100% Scott!

I was just pointing out some of the differences that I see in MY town.

I am not acquainted with ALL IFB and SBC churches.